Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Petrov

Large and small ship etiquette

May I make a suggestion?

On the mini-map, friendly ships are shown as hollow outlines and enemy ships are shown as grey in-filled outlines.  Your ship is always at the center and always a hollow outline.  Perhaps a thicker outline for your ship?  This way you know exactly where you are in the blob once close range engagements begin.

Moreover, experience has taught me that the moment you see a ship within your mini-map, you are close enough for collisions to occur with ease if not mindful of course and positioning.

• Like 1

Most seem to be talking big ship vs little ship behavior in the event of a potential collision. So discuss little ship vs little ship as well. I just quickly read everyones posts and much is said about starboard tacks and such but no one has really explained it to anyone so it will be meaningless to many. I know there are people who love to post diagrams so now is the time to do it.

As for rules of right away for the beginner, here are some rules of thumb that may or not be actual "rules"

1. The lesser maneuverable ship has the right away. Usually this will mean bigger ships have right of way over smaller ships.

2. The upwind ship has the right away. For him to avoid you it would require him to turn into the wind which could be devastating.

3. When in doubt, make way for the other guy.

4. If you have the right away yet you see the other guy is getting demolished and is just trying to get away. Let him!

Agreed Johny....basically it is common sense, the best way of reducing this happening is for everyone to be more aware, but realistically that isn't going to happen 100%.  

Slightly off topic but since we are talking about collisions, I have noticed a growing tendency for opponents not to ram you but force you to ram them, thereby losing a bowsprit. Happened twice in a single battle the other day and was admitted as being a tactic employed. Of course, I want to avoid a collision so do my best to avoid it, impact is minimal, damage to the other guy relatively minimal, but I lose a bowsprit and 15-20% of my sails.

Most of the time the bell warning is enough for me. At first I didn't know what the bell warning meant, but once someone told me what it meant, I look up every time I hear it, even in aiming mode.

I would guess most people don't know what the bell means, and how would they without a manual?

I had no idea that's what the bell meant lol. I guess it makes sense since it only goes off near other ships.

I had no idea either until someone told me. I just assumed it was the changing of the hour glass.

I found out after my first collision.  

Ding.... Ding Ding... crunch...

Oh, that means watch out  :D

• Like 2

As for rules of right away for the beginner, here are some rules of thumb that may or not be actual "rules"

1. The lesser maneuverable ship has the right away. Usually this will mean bigger ships have right of way over smaller ships.

2. The upwind ship has the right away. For him to avoid you it would require him to turn into the wind which could be devastating.

3. When in doubt, make way for the other guy.

4. If you have the right away yet you see the other guy is getting demolished and is just trying to get away. Let him!

Actually that is pretty much the rules IRL. Follow 1-2 then if you have reasonable doubt you take action and in the case of 4 thats simply exercising best judgement.

In PotBS I put less importance on skill rotations etc and more time into ship handling and know how, if I dropped to battle sails for example, my ship would react, how much time I needed to slow to an allies speed. I saw far too much overshooting, people losing too much way, wearing when a tack would have been perfectly possible and more successful. Strangely in equivalent ships I often ended up sailing faster, getting ahead in the chases/retreats, turning faster...no point in guns if they cant be fired after all ;)

Still need to learn ship handling in this game but the principles seem similar.

I think "Gunsight-itis" is contributory to most (many?) crashes. It's also a reasonable tactic in a melee, after all is said and done.

BTW "Starboard tack" is when the wind is coming in over the right side railing as you face forward.

IOW as you face forward - the wind is on your right cheek ;)

Thanks for the tip about the bell!

• Like 1

Well it's a internet game, there will be good players, bad players, new players, and players who just don't care. Tunnel vision will always be a thing among certain people so get used to being rammed, I can't wait to see the carnage in a final battle once the open world is going.

Actually that is pretty much the rules IRL. Follow 1-2 then if you have reasonable doubt you take action and in the case of 4 thats simply exercising best judgement.

In PotBS I put less importance on skill rotations etc and more time into ship handling and know how, if I dropped to battle sails for example, my ship would react, how much time I needed to slow to an allies speed. I saw far too much overshooting, people losing too much way, wearing when a tack would have been perfectly possible and more successful. Strangely in equivalent ships I often ended up sailing faster, getting ahead in the chases/retreats, turning faster...no point in guns if they cant be fired after all ;)

Still need to learn ship handling in this game but the principles seem similar.

Rule 2, while making sense for this game, is actually the opposite of IRL.  The downwind boat has right of way.  This is because usually the downwind boat would have less maneuvering room for land hazards.

Rule 2, while making sense for this game, is actually the opposite of IRL.  The downwind boat has right of way.  This is because usually the downwind boat would have less maneuvering room for land hazards.

+1

The real rules are not difficult at all, though of course expecting people here to learn them is probably foolhardy:

The Sailing "Rules of the Road":

Rule 1: When you are on the same tack as the other boat, the leeward (downwind) boat has the right-of-way. 

Rule 2: When you are on opposite tacks, the starboard tack (wind from right hand side of boat when facing the bow) boat has the right-of-way. 

Rule 3: If you are overtaking the other boat, or it is overtaking you, the boat ahead (the overtaken boat) has the right-of-way.

Here's a video to assist visualization.
  • Like 1

The right of way belongs to a ship with higher insurance. ;d

I was screaming "damn damn damn damn" as I accidentally headed into the path of a victory in my surprise. :lol:

• Like 2

True enough.........but how many folk here know which is the starboard tack?

Firstly, the eventual manual will clear that up. Secondly, there will always be new players who are learning everything at once. Drive defensively!

I was screaming "damn damn damn damn" as I accidentally headed into the path of a victory in my surprise. :lol:

Same happened to me yesterday in my second Trafalgar battle (only it must have been a Trinco I rammed). I got stuck with the commands, but first fault was to get out of the firing range for our bigger vessels - and instead of slowing down (and fall back again) I turned towards them, not realizing I wasn´t the last in line :(

So if it comes to judging who is wrong, and who did right, I am always eager to admit that I am still learning (not about "starboard", but about sailing/aiming/winning or surviving the game). I feel bad if someone (not only "my side") is damaged because I couldn´t stop in time or got in between the bigger ones, but, heck, it is a game, and if in battle one easily targets for a course or a bait, not watching too carefully for others. Which is how I got a broadside into an enemy ship a few days ago, that was heading for a cutter of my fleet ;)

Same happened to me yesterday in my second Trafalgar battle (only it must have been a Trinco I rammed). I got stuck with the commands, but first fault was to get out of the firing range for our bigger vessels - and instead of slowing down (and fall back again) I turned towards them, not realizing I wasn´t the last in line :(

So if it comes to judging who is wrong, and who did right, I am always eager to admit that I am still learning (not about "starboard", but about sailing/aiming/winning or surviving the game). I feel bad if someone (not only "my side") is damaged because I couldn´t stop in time or got in between the bigger ones, but, heck, it is a game, and if in battle one easily targets for a course or a bait, not watching too carefully for others. Which is how I got a broadside into an enemy ship a few days ago, that was heading for a cutter of my fleet ;)

Sir you rammed into me, in my Victory.....

You were out on your own, obscuring the target area for about 3 ships. I asked whether you could get into line.... I didn't realised that meant a headlong charge into my port side, causing 2 major leaks and a period in survival mode.  ;)

I often urge many new players to actively use both the minimap and the alt key to allow them to get some awareness of where they are and who is about.

I look forward to sailing with you again sir, albeit at least 3 ships distant from you.  :D

• Like 1

Windward boat should always give way. Having said that, just like IRL, discretion is the better part of valour... so if in a smaller vessel and on a collision course with a larger vessel upwind, it would be prudent to luff up to the eye of the wind, dowse sails and avoid collision at all costs, because the other vessel may not be aware of you while busy fighting, and if you hit it you are dead (e.g yacht vs oil tanker). Bearing away (turning downwind) to avoid collision is a risky option and not advised.

Line astern is the safest way of progressing in convoy, line abreast doesn't allow sea room to neighbouring vessels unless there is close communication, i.e. pull ahead or drop behind if you are the smaller vessel.

If you do end up on an unavoidable collision course at least try and minimise damage by reducing speed, and apologise afterwards!

• Like 2

I had a small ship (from the flying pieces i think a brig) turn right across my Trincomalee's starboard broadside's target just as I let go.

When you consider positioning - also consider that everyone else want's to shoot at the other side too!

:)

• Like 2

Perhaps a version of rules of the road simplified for our use:

Rule 1: The rules don't exonerate any vessel from taking action to avoid collision, even if not the give way vessel.

Rule 2: Sailing vessels give way to vessels restricted in their ability to maneouvre. Both give way to a vessel constrained by draught.

Rule 3: Port gives way starboard, windward gives way to leeward.

• Like 1

A princes ship has right of way of all ships

An Admirals ship always has right of way over all but a princes.

A senior Captain (Ramjb, Leviathan, Prator et. al.) has right of way over a junior Captain - unless the junior is in a bigger ship.

If the other Captain is three sheet to the wind turn left at the buoy, do not pass go do not collect $200.

Basically - in a fight, get the FRIG out of the way of the BIG GUNS - Friggin SIMPLE ain't it.

• Like 1

Nothing like having your victory blocked more than twice by friendly frigates from using her guns...  :angry:

• Like 1

Nothing like having your victory blocked more than twice by friendly frigates from using her guns...  :angry:

Well, that is slightly less offensive than crashing right into you, but it's sure not a recipe for winning a battle. I would say 1 broadside from a Vic is worth about 7 from a frigate - give or take a one or two?

Perhaps you should demonstrate to any serial offenders?

Perhaps you should demonstrate to any serial offenders?

The thought crossed my mind.  Believe me. 

Yesterday I was in a match where the teams were pretty much balanced.  I was the only bellona on my team and the enemy also had a bellona.  there was a constitution that decided not to line up with the 6 or so other frigates and instead went off on his own.  He came back after being hammered by the enemy line but instead of lining up with the rest behind me he decided to go between me and the enemy line about a surprise's length away.  I was ready to fire and he wasn't changing speed and wouldn't move when asked to rejoin the line, so I sent my broadside through his rigging and still hit the enemy ship.  He then got ahead of me and dueled with the enemy bellona and shortly thereafter sank.  Fortunately we only lost him and a trin and destroyed the enemy squadron. 

I can understand

1. when someone is a good distance from their side's sotl

2. the view angle is hard to tell

3. from everyone maneuvering at once, typically when one side rushes the other and the lines become mixed up

I cannot understand

1.  Both lines are moving straight with no maneuvering.  Why park in front of your line ship and block their fire?