Game-Labs Forum

Mesquite wood

do we need more wood types

i think we do

Mesquite is one of the most expensive types of lumber in the US. It was a popular type of wood used by early Spaniards to build ships, but is now used most commonly for high-end rustic furniture and cabinets.

its also a very dens wood type

perhaps something to introduce what you all think

While mesquite is very hard and stable, I can’t imagine a boat of any size being built out of if. Is there a taller mesquite that one could actually get appropriate lumber from?

46 minutes ago, Thonys said:

do we need more wood types

i think we do

Mesquite is one of the most expensive types of lumber in the US. It was a popular type of wood used by early Spaniards to build ships, but is now used most commonly for high-end rustic furniture and cabinets.

its also a very dens wood type

perhaps something to introduce what you all think

Do you have a source for the Spanish utilizing mesquite in shipbuilding?  I'm looking now and not finding very much, nor do I recall any such reference while looking into Spanish shipbuilding in the past.

Edit: I see where you copied from Wikipedia, but I do not see a source link from the page, which makes the statement questionable.

Edited by Haratik

5 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Mesquite is more of a brush than a wood. I don't think it would be useful for anything more than furnishings.

It can grow quite tall given the right conditions (I live in the part of the USA where there's plentiful Mesquite), but you are correct, the only mentions I'm finding of it are in ship cabin furnishings.

2 minutes ago, TheHaney said:

...Are you sure you meant Mesquite? I didn't even think that existed in Europe at the time.

The Spanish had extensive shipbuilding facilities at Veracruz and Cuba.  Cortez had a small fleet of brigantines supplementing his campaign against the Aztecs that were transplanted overland from the coast.

Just now, Haratik said:

The Spanish had extensive shipbuilding facilities at Veracruz and Cuba.

Ah, I suppose that makes sense then. Still, not exactly the type of tree one would hew many decent planks from. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a variety of woods as an upgrade system of sorts? Lignum Vitae of course was used for various bits and pieces, as well as Mesquite it seems. Perhaps a third/fourth "wood slot" for ship building to add further variety and customization would be interesting and help to deepen the system.

Just now, TheHaney said:

Ah, I suppose that makes sense then. Still, not exactly the type of tree one would hew many decent planks from. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a variety of woods as an upgrade system of sorts? Lignum Vitae of course was used for various bits and pieces, as well as Mesquite it seems. Perhaps a third/fourth "wood slot" for ship building to add further variety and customization would be interesting and help to deepen the system.

If there wasn't forests of the stuff immediately available, like say, the Baltic forests that a lot of European nations that had navies outsourced for, or say the American live oaks, or tropic woods the Spanish used, then there wasn't really a point in utilizing it for anything more than bits and pieces or decoration.

3 hours ago, Farrago said:

On the plus side, a mesquite ship with fire ship fitting would make a hellofa tasty barbecue. 

yes 

i was also thinking about  burners 

we need more specific wood types(and mechanics for that as well ,a fuse for that should work instant 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1 BOEEMM :) [or the pitol  fuse]

Edited by Thonys

21 hours ago, Haratik said:

yes mainly used in frame and ribs and keel of the ship 

but never planks

• Like 1