Game-Labs Forum

Ability to interrupt broadside

I've noticed that the AI(yes i fight AI from time to time) can interrupt his broaside and resume firing after it gets a better angle.

So we could get the same ability to sometimes avoid some friendly fire or get a better angle ourselves. Maybe J or Y key could be assigned for it. Also a 5(?) second cooldown could be added to avoid spamming it for sniping maybe.

Edited by Sella22
  • Like 4

I have not noticed the AI doing this but if they do, that should be removed rather than giving us the ability to stop our broadside. Picture this: a commanders says “Fire!”  The broadside starts. How effective could the command to ceasefire be above the roar over multiple decks firing all guns?

1 minute ago, Stilgar said:

More likely, AI is firing not fully loaded broadsides.

I am pretty sure that the whole broadside was loaded. Also it took the AI a second or less to resume firing from where he has previously stopped from all decks. For the record it was a Bellona. Will keep looking if it happens again.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Farrago said:

I have not noticed the AI doing this but if they do, that should be removed rather than giving us the ability to stop our broadside. Picture this: a commanders says “Fire!”  The broadside starts. How effective could the command to ceasefire be above the roar over multiple decks firing all guns?

Well, but I think no gun captain would fire his cannon if nothing is in front of it. There are some occasions where this might be useful. @Hethwill, didn't you make the suggestion once to hold down spacebar to fire your cannons and stop doing it when you release it?

Interesting point, but I think it might be a couple of things instead of a STOP/START broadside.

Either the AI is firing single shot quickly and stops waits and restarts. You can see this by pressing the LEFT [CTRL] + L (shot logger). Here in a broadside all the cannons shot on a deck are listed together. If its Single shot likewise…

I’ve noticed sometimes in a low water ship like a Reno, the wave graphic can obscure half the broadside completely. If then the AI fires the weather deck cannons it’ll appear as though he stopped and restarted the broadside perhaps? Again, the above function will tell you…

Not sure if this helps, but next time you see it look at the shot logger…

Norfolk

sorry I just saw @Sella22you said the AI was a Bellona so second idea is probably wrong unless it was the lower deck...

Edited by Norfolk nChance

Guys, I have been playing the game a fairly long time as all of you :) I am pretty sure for what I saw. AI was firing a normal broadside from all decks while turning away from me. He stopped firing when he has fired half of his broadside pretty much and at the same time he stopped turning away. After a sec or so he resumed from there where he has stopped firing previously. Hey I could be wrong about it I won't deny that. 

Regardless of that as far as I know the gun batteries and crews were divided and each had its own officer. So it was possible to fire only some of them if the order was received.