Game-Labs Forum

An Argument For Dismasting

I keep reading post about people loosing masts to players that have trained it for many hours. Dismasting has never been harder in naval action and I dont remember masts ever been thicker than they are now. If someone like myself dismasts you in battle, that doesnt mean there is something wrong with dismasting. That means I have trained it and as far as I know games have always favored the players that practice more.

There are 6 mods in the game that buff your masts. Dont be lazy and beg for a patch while grinding ai around your reinforcement zone. Use the tools the game has ALREADY given you. 

Btw if you dont have the mods there are loads of tactics to use against demasting but you need to learn them yourselves. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, Pada said:

Use your rudder for example. :P

If Moscalb wants to demast you, your rudder won't save you. Btw, I also know and use demast tactic, just think it's ridiculous it became the meta in the game.

Edited by Cabral
  • Like 1

Demasting is pretty ez tbh. As long as you have your convergence right it's hard to fudge. 2 topmast in a broadside and boom your enemy is crippled to 70 sails faster than any chain barrage.

Maybe along with hull and trim, we add a 3rd trim for mast so players can choose whether they want paper mast to get the super speed fir/fir gives you, or good mast that sacrifice speed.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson

Practice makes perfect. Gun port separation, speed, angles, etc.

Only thing, which might be technical, not sure, is that the variation during a rolling broadside. Seems that some ball will fly the same trajectory even if deck heeled slightly and if above certain angle then it will shoot higher or lower.

Modules are a strong "insurance" against practice. Massive volleys of high penetration stack. Done.

34 minutes ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Demasting is pretty ez tbh. As long as you have your convergence right it's hard to fudge. 2 topmast in a broadside and boom your enemy is crippled to 70 sails faster than any chain barrage.

To some extend your right. But demasting is not just about convergence or pointing at the enemies masts. 

Its also about timing, accuracy, positioning, etc etc. 

As for your claim that demasting will take the enemy to 70% faster than chain? 
Not really, 1 perfect broadside of chain will do away with 30% of your sail HP, just like 1 perfect broadside of ball might do away with 30% of your sail HP. 

(But yes, since Top and Middle sections became so fragile demasting have indeed become easier for the average player to achieve.) 

39 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Modules are a strong "insurance" against practice. Massive volleys of high penetration stack. Done.

Indeed, combine the "new" Top/Middle sections with the Penetration modules and you have a scenario where demasting can be done by anyone. (Hell, even without the penetration modules you have that scenario). 

However now throw in some absolutely ridicoulus Mast Thickness Boosts from different modules and suddenly that wooden ship has 5 meter thick masts made of Steel. 

At this point coming up with a complete "solution" on how we might be able to bring perfect balance to the combat mechanics seems an impossible task. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, TommyShelby said:

To some extend your right. But demasting is not just about convergence or pointing at the enemies masts. 

Its also about timing, accuracy, positioning, etc etc. 

As for your claim that demasting will take the enemy to 70% faster than chain? 
Not really, 1 perfect broadside of chain will do away with 30% of your sail HP, just like 1 perfect broadside of ball might do away with 30% of your sail HP. 

(But yes, since Top and Middle sections became so fragile demasting have indeed become easier for the average player to achieve.) 

Indeed, combine the "new" Top/Middle sections with the Penetration modules and you have a scenario where demasting can be done by anyone. (Hell, even without the penetration modules you have that scenario). 

However now throw in some absolutely ridicoulus Mast Thickness Boosts from different modules and suddenly that wooden ship has 5 meter thick masts made of Steel. 

At this point coming up with a complete "solution" on how we might be able to bring perfect balance to the combat mechanics seems an impossible task. 

oh no I triggered tommy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cabral said:

If Moscalb wants to demast you, your rudder won't save you. Btw, I also know and use demast tactic, just think it's ridiculous it became the meta in the game.

if it was the meta we would have it in tournament...... Its not

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

if it was the meta we would have it in tournament...... Its not

Sure it is - who better demasting now - win fights. We got few examples last 2 evenings in our (less experienced) fleet vs Rubli. Add to this bigger disparity in PvP reward upgrades than vets can exchange and make them even more OP vs newcomers. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bart Smith said:

Sure it is - who better demasting now - win fights. We got few examples last 2 evenings in our (less experienced) fleet vs Rubli. Add to this bigger disparity in PvP reward upgrades than vets can exchange and make them even more OP vs newcomers. 

For Hachi that's perfectly normal, what was bothering him was the trinco turnrate.

2 hours ago, HachiRoku said:

I keep reading post about people loosing masts to players that have trained it for many hours. Dismasting has never been harder in naval action and I dont remember masts ever been thicker than they are now. If someone like myself dismasts you in battle, that doesnt mean there is something wrong with dismasting. That means I have trained it and as far as I know games have always favored the players that practice more.

There are 6 mods in the game that buff your masts. Dont be lazy and beg for a patch while grinding ai around your reinforcement zone. Use the tools the game has ALREADY given you. 

Btw if you dont have the mods there are loads of tactics to use against demasting but you need to learn them yourselves. 

It doesn't take hours of practice - I do it regularly and I'm shiite at shooting.. The problem is that the cannons are as accurate as they are..

Just now, Bearwall said:

It doesn't take hours of practice - I do it regularly and I'm shiite at shooting.. The problem is that the cannons are as accurate as they are..

accuracy isnt an issue. Try hitting masts with carros. You can get 50% hitrate close range no problem

Just now, Slim Jimmerson said:

Battles lasting for days doesn't benefit gameplay. Decreasing cannon accuracy, especially large caliber long/meds would.

why? you will still be demasted just a few shots later. That will not change the outcome of the battle. 

6 minutes ago, HachiRoku said:

battles in real life lasted hours to days. What to make that happen in game too?

Hachi, I just want the game to give fun for me, for you, for all that play this game. But you and some russian "heroes" only want the game to give fun for yourselves. People are getting tired of one minority setting the rules.