Game-Labs Forum

Bring back multiple durability

2 minutes ago, Malachy said:

There are no so called cheap modules. Anything worth using costs 1 mil plus.

There are plenty of cheap speed modules for example, and if you can reach the max increase with a Gazelle Bow Figure, and Speed Trim, then there's no real need to search for e.g. Bovenwinds Refit unless you want to use your Knowledge or Permanent slots for other things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

There are plenty of cheap speed modules for example, and if you can reach the max increase with a Gazelle Bow Figure, and Speed Trim, then there's no real need to search for e.g. Bovenwinds Refit unless you want to use your Knowledge or Permanent slots for other things.

Gazelle has crew malus, not a good mod at all. Speed trim has a sail and maneuverability malus. Again, not a good mod to use and detrimental to pvp. Those may be ok for pve boats.

Just now, Malachy said:

Gazelle has crew malus, not a good mod at all. Speed trim has a sail and maneuverability malus. Again, not a good mod to use and detrimental to pvp. Those may be ok for pve boats.

Gazelle doesn't have any malus afaik. Anyway, that's beside the point. Sure, you can optimise by using the expensive/rare ones (since you get less malus, and can use your slots for other things - but these also have a limit to their effect, meaning any bonus you get will be within reasonable values), but you can't reach a 10% speed increase by stacking expensive/rare mods anymore, so in most areas you'll have an even playing field, only slight advantages in other areas by using the expensive/rare modules.

7 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

Gazelle doesn't have any malus afaik. Anyway, that's beside the point. Sure, you can optimise by using the expensive/rare ones (since you get less malus, and can use your slots for other things - but these also have a limit to their effect, meaning any bonus you get will be within reasonable values), but you can't reach a 10% speed increase by stacking expensive/rare mods anymore, so in most areas you'll have an even playing field, only slight advantages in other areas by using the expensive/rare modules.

Increase in sailing crew required is a malus. That reduces crew on your guns which are just a teensy bit important. Speed trim isn't even a common book so it's pretty expensive even if one is stupid enough to accept all of those malus. There needs to be common mods that are worth using for your idea to work and I'm not convinced  in the slightest yet.

Just now, Malachy said:

Increase in sailing crew required is a malus. That reduces crew on your guns which are just a teensy bit important. Speed trim isn't even a common book so it's pretty expensive even if one is stupid enough to accept all of those malus. There needs to be common mods that are worth using for your idea to work and I'm not convinced  in the slightest yet.

Sure, I can agree that there should be more cheap mods around; that'd make the suggestion even stronger.

You're right about Gazelle, it requires more sailing crew - a very minor malus in my opinion. How about Optimized Ballast then? It's only got positives, and it's piss easy to get.

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Modules are the devil, not duras. Make everything at max 1%(and similar) inside the crafting options ( a lot of options). No drops. Everything open.

Build any ship at your heart desire.

The upside of upgrades rather than crafting is that you can farm for the good upgrades, while you can't farm for the rare woods. I don't think traders even carry them.  The good and rare woods are sold out in the entire game.

31 minutes ago, Niels Terkildsen said:

Sure, I can agree that there should be more cheap mods around; that'd make the suggestion even stronger.

You're right about Gazelle, it requires more sailing crew - a very minor malus in my opinion. How about Optimized Ballast then? It's only got positives, and it's piss easy to get.

Its the only one and it ain't that great either. Not when you have things like art of ship handling and boven etc. I don't use it much but have had it since day 1. Good pvpers aren't going to use second best mods, we want the best and for a very good reason . Settling for average gets you killed.

Edited by Malachy

25 minutes ago, Malachy said:

Its the only one and it ain't that great either. Not when you have things like art of ship handling and boven etc. I don't use it much but have had it since day 1. Good pvpers aren't going to use second best mods, we want the best and for a very good reason . Settling for average gets you killed.

Which is why there are so few "good" PvP'ers (those that are willing to and can spend the time to get all the best mods). My suggestion was a way to counter this by giving a fair chance to those that don't have the luxury of rare drops, etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hethwill said:

Modules are the devil, not duras. Make everything at max 1%(and similar) inside the crafting options ( a lot of options). No drops. Everything open.

Build any ship at your heart desire.

I agree on this one

upgrades (pvp) marks are killing people if they lose that ship what took weeks to develop with costly upgrades

1 minute ago, George Washington said:

Next thing we see:

-Mods removed

-Marks removed

Back to stone age.:)

but that's the period we are sailing in wright :)

Edited by Thonys

12 minutes ago, Malachy said:

I don't use it much but have had it since day 1. Good pvpers aren't going to use second best mods, we want the best and for a very good reason . Settling for average gets you killed.

This was one of the main factors to me letting OW pvp go. Not mad... ok a little, but mostly broken hearted.

It's a design thing. It's the main drive to all eco, mods are. It makes me sad that ships are an eco afterthought and that ship crafting is completely eclipsed by mods.

It's the PVE mindset. They want to be razzledazzled by loot drops of rare stuff, they love the fake feeling of accomplishment. They will say that MMO's need it but they're perverting the facts to align with their subjective whim. Maybe most MMORPGs have rare loot drops from PVE and absolutely need them?

Just watch them redefine "hardcore" and "carebear" in this and your other recent topic...

Multi duras won't fix much, Malachy.

I do approve of your recent politically incorrect and abrasive topics. I used to think that "yea, people can grind bots all day for all I care, no skin off my nose"... Now I think that the two mindsets can't coexist; Either pvp'ers chase away eco/pve'ers with their ruthless and evil ways or the pve way takes over almost completely. Maybe it's smart? I mean, it's easy to make a slot machine junkie complacently happy, just let RNG give him something shiny every now and then and he stops questioning his existence.

pvp'ers - mostly gone

rvr dudes - mostly happy(?)

pve'ers - mostly happy. Would be happy if they had more and more and MORE content.

17 minutes ago, Powderhorn said:

So, it is argued that ship durabilities need to go up, but it seems most players really argue that permanent modules are what really costs a ton of time/money.

How does increasing ship durability reduce losing modules as you lose a ship?

I would argue that ship dura should never go back up. Taking a ship or sinking a ship now makes a huge difference! It's like we forgot all the issues that rose up due to multiple durability. @Malachy do you not remember how players would purposefully let themselves get caught, immediately surrender, only to be teleported to the nearest port in order to enter a port battle? do we not remember how useless a captured ship was because it was only 1 durability and having no refits or mods compared to the "original?" do we not remember how players would capture a ship multiple times to create carbon copies of the original?

The core of the issue, in my opinion, is Refits being limited/expensive, the resource to make them being extremely limited, and the large agreement from the active population that they are "killing" content.

You'd be hard pressed to find group A willing to fight another group B, if group a does not have Cartagena Caulking for example, but B does. Or if a player has copper plating versus a player who never has found one. I can't tell you how many times we don't get fights started because players aren't willing to risk a ship without all 3 refit slots filled and at minimum 4 knowledge slots.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Malachy said:

We've tested it as nausea, it's simply a chore to have to rebuild and refit every time you sink. From personal experience, I have a ship in every free port. If I lose one, I have to go back to Mortimer, rebuild a ship, find mods, install them and sail them all the way back. Back when we had multiple durability, I could be back in action pretty quick and having fun again. Now, though it's not hard to rebuild, it's a time sink that I don't have time for, so if I lose a ship I'm done for the day. Single durability has significantly reduced the number of battles a player can participate in. I'm all for realism but not at the expense of fun. 

Bring back multiple durability. Let the ship builder decide how many a ship gets and for every extra pint it takes double the resources for a single point. These multi durability ships would be more expensive, but would stimulate the economy and be a larger gold sink for players who just want to fight and not spend their days in tedious monotony.

Do you know how many ships I have lost since this patch has happened....

1 Snow

1 Trader Brig

1 Privateer.

That is IT.   I still have an Indefatigable that I captured oh... a week after the wipe.   STILL GOT IT!!!!

I still have my Lynx that I built 3 days after the wipe, the same Lynx that I used to raid the US coastline, and the pirate waters.  Yep... still going.  

Sorry but we dont need multiple durability, you just need to learn to sail better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Slim Jimmerson said:

Ships are already extremely easy to get. What exactly would ship duras accomplish?

Cut downtime between bAttles. 1 dura, crap drop rate on mods and limited dock slots means you get one or two deaths and your out of the running for several hours. There is no reason for that much tedious down time between fights except to waste time. Most folks I know don't even bother, they lose a ship, they log off even if they had planned to pvp for hours. No game should waste a players time simply to waste time. Games should be fun and exciting and there's nothing fun or exciting about an hour or More of down time for no reason between fights.

Edited by Malachy
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Do you know how many ships I have lost since this patch has happened....

1 Snow

1 Trader Brig

1 Privateer.

That is IT.   I still have an Indefatigable that I captured oh... a week after the wipe.   STILL GOT IT!!!!

I still have my Lynx that I built 3 days after the wipe, the same Lynx that I used to raid the US coastline, and the pirate waters.  Yep... still going.  

Sorry but we dont need multiple durability, you just need to learn to sail better.

Sounds like you don't sail at all. I play 100 hours a week. I'm in every battle I find no matter the odds. Maybe when you do the same you'll be whisling a different tune. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Batman said:

So on average you play about 14 hours each day. Ouch.

Maybe not quite 100 but about 6 or 7 a day and 10 a day on the weekends. My point stands, if he's only lost 3 6th rates in 4 months he's not playing. I've lost half a dozen connies and a couple other ships in that time. When you fight, you lose ships from time to time no matter how good you are.. I guess he may be hiding in the safe zone like you like to do, but he doesn't talk that way...

Edited by Malachy

1 hour ago, Malachy said:

Sounds like you don't sail at all. I play 100 hours a week. I'm in every battle I find no matter the odds. Maybe when you do the same you'll be whisling a different tune. 

First, when I did play hardcore, I was in more than a few battles a week.  I averaged a couple of fights a night,  but I have a job and a life, so playing 100 hours a week isnt really possible for me.  

My Lynx captured more ships than any other ship I have ever had.   Total before I retired it to transport duty, was 27 ships captured in PVP. 

My Renomee only has 5 so far, but I havent logged in at all in the past 10 days due to life. 

Oh and it is whistling... not whisling.