Game-Labs Forum

Require pvp to play on pvp server

To be honest I dont think Im going to touch vanilla NA again (besides the tournament). NAL gives me what I wanted, and there is most likely more battle variety (1v1 2v2 3v3...) coming up soon

I am not really keen on wasting the few hours after work in the evenings sailing around meeting noone. Netflix & NAL seems like a better alternative to me :)

Edited by Liq
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Landsman said:

You can already do it... just follow the ships until they leave the zone. It is a little harder of course but not much... And also who would do that and why?

You can already do it, but it's more difficult. You have to patrol a larger zone and not just sitting in front of two ports.  If you do not understand that, it just probably means only that you never tried to siege or blockade a territory in a massive game.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Malachy said:

Yep, you bring nothing to the pvp server. At least you are willing to stand up and admit the fact. And profit margins are better selling to npc fyi. 

I don't give a flying frack whether people like me or my ideas. In fact, I prefer they don't like me. 

Never added anyone to an ignore list on a forum before, first time for everything

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, victor said:

You can already do it, but it's more difficult. You have to patrol a larger zone and not just sitting in front of two ports.  If you do not understand that, it just probably means only that you never tried to siege or blockade a territory in a massive game.

But with what you are suggesting then players trying to leave those ports to do trade run or to go and do a mission would have no chance to avoid the people camping there, and the net result is they would never leave port and would eventually quit the game.

In reality it was very hard to completely blockade a port as you describe as you could not get close enough due to shore batteries and the further out you were the more ships you needed to provide an effective blockade. Effective blockades meant months at sea with little or no action.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, victor said:

I said exactly that.... maybe you should read more carefully? Also WHY would anyone blockade a territory in current OW NA?

8 hours ago, Malachy said:

Yep, you bring nothing to the pvp server. At least you are willing to stand up and admit the fact. And profit margins are better selling to npc fyi. 

I don't give a flying frack whether people like me or my ideas. In fact, I prefer they don't like me. 

Well the way I see it is if they divided the servers into three types there would be pure PvE server, a PvP enabled mixed server with safe zones and a pure PvP server with no AI and no safe zones. Which of those three servers would have the least population?

And by the way they do have those 3 server types at present, you have the PvE, the current OW game and then you have Legends where you get pure PvP (or will at least when they remove bots). So you have got your wish and can play only against people who are there for PvP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wyy said:

Rather than decreasing the player rates have increased instead after they added the safezones because it prevented new players to be slaughtered left and right by guys that wanted easy targets

That's not true. When I initially started the game, there were 1000 online at peak on global and around 2000 online peak eu. There were no safe zones. There was all kinds of pvp. The game was all about pvp. Then the devs started catering to the  carebear element and populations dropped off. Barely hits 500 at peak on eu and most of them piss themselves when they see an enemy flag.

3 hours ago, Grundgemunkey said:

yeah but if we were all as good at as Malachy .. we wouldnt need that ..after all hMalachy can source the materials and labour hours to build 2 first rates a day without help from anyone ...also at the same time turn a midshipman into a rear admiral through pvp alone within 3 weeks

and the devs say its impossible to cheat in this game ...

It's called European traders. You should try them sometimes. Allows you to completely undercut all players and not have any structures except s ship yard.

Interesting that some of us know of captains that never reached top rank simply because all they do is pvp. Interesting enough they didn't use xp redeemables and do it all again.

As many here have said, there's more than meets the eye.

I came to find that the best captains out there are usually the most quiet in game chats, very friendly types, and are really proefficient on handling all ships, not only the quirky ones.

Maybe Mallachy is up to something here, maybe we should look to his idea as something worth to have a PvP Missions type of thing, based on proper historical assignements and, in case of failure, rank is lost, property may be lost, etc...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hethwill said:

Maybe Mallachy is up to something here, maybe we should look to his idea as something worth to have a PvP Missions type of thing, based on proper historical assignements and, in case of failure, rank is lost, property may be lost, etc...

And if you insult someone in chat and not salute your officer in clan, you should get whipped, yeah ...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Batman said:

And if you insult someone in chat and not salute your officer in clan, you should get whipped, yeah ...

Absolutely ! Next assignment, as punishment, is on a coastal Brig making routine inspections for smuggle cargo.

• Like 1

One of the nice memories of a pvp encounter is EliteDelta under RN colours hanging tough at the helm of a connie against PG Monkey and myself, in schooners. We did have to salute him and abandon the idea after he showed extremely great defense and ship & wind handling. Great lesson on how to handle a big ship versus faster and more nimble ones.

( silly enough the Renomee that was with us was miiiiiiiles away and refused to come close to help, but won't name the dastard :D )

• Like 1

What you want, Malachy, is impossible with an economy.

Even in an OW without economy it wouldn't be a perfect pvp world. There would still be ganking, running and griefing. As a mind experiment there would be a drop in players initially as those who like eco/pve changed server or quit. I bet there would be more PvP fun even with lower server pop. I actually think it would be easier to maintain higher numbers when it's clear that "this game offers sailing ships PvP, RvR and nothing else". 

Where is it advertised a PvP only server?

3 hours ago, Flash Jack said:

When you can sit alone outside a nations capital for hours, and see dozens of people doing missions in the reinforcement zone

So you looking for PvP in  a place where game mechanics make it near impossible, and also where the player are not interested.

You created a problem where one does not exist, I would suggest  looking elsewhere and you may get a more challenging experience from it.

And also its a PvP enabled server, not PvP only :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hethwill said:

Interesting that some of us know of captains that never reached top rank simply because all they do is pvp. Interesting enough they didn't use xp redeemables and do it all again.

As many here have said, there's more than meets the eye.

I came to find that the best captains out there are usually the most quiet in game chats, very friendly types, and are really proefficient on handling all ships, not only the quirky ones.

the perfect thing would be to have pvp missions that give high rewards. For example, kill 5 pirate players around area x, and it gives you much xp and gold and maybe even modules. Then the opposite faction gets the same type of mission in the same area which makes it guaranteed for them to meet and fight against each other. Then to prevent gank fleets, make it the one that gets the kill gets the mission objective.

8 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Because a diversity of player types brings a diversity of player-generated content to an MMO world. If all you want is spoon-fed, curated PvP content then off to Legends with you and quit your moaning.

Sorry man, I can't gank in Legends. No way i'm going there :ph34r:

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, Wyy said:

the perfect thing would be to have pvp missions that give high rewards. For example, kill 5 pirate players around area x, and it gives you much xp and gold and maybe even modules. Then the opposite faction gets the same type of mission in the same area which makes it guaranteed for them to meet and fight against each other. Then to prevent gank fleets, make it the one that gets the kill gets the mission objective.

We have the one luxury that real 18th/19th century Captains never had, we sail as and when we want, we attack where and when we want. They would plod on endlessly until whatever task the Admiralty set for them was completed, or they were sunk, or they received orders to do something else from the Admiralty via a messenger brig or other small ship.  The two are not incompatible as a Captain, clan, or even Nation  in game could accept or decline such Admiralty missions. If there is sufficient incentive I think most Captains would accept such missions especially if they know that the Nation or Clan who the missions are aimed at would fight to take the spoils. when no such mission is available or declined then Captains simply do what they wish and forfeit the prize offered. Of course if word of such missions got out what is to stop other Nations or the Pirates from intervening and taking the spoils? 

29 minutes ago, Wraith said:

Because a diversity of player types brings a diversity of player-generated content to an MMO world. If all you want is spoon-fed, curated PvP content then off to Legends with you and quit your moaning.

And that diversity doesn't mean jack shit when the game segments the playstyles into their own little areas or circumvent game aspects so that they don't have to be bothered by players of other playstyles.

1 hour ago, Wraith said:

then off to Legends

Already did, thanks fam. Also what Aegir said...

32 minutes ago, Aegir said:

And that diversity doesn't mean jack shit when the game segments the playstyles into their own little areas or circumvent game aspects so that they don't have to be bothered by players of other playstyles.

Although a lot of this thread is mingery, we have a lot of voices singing the same note, there's a severe lack of PVP content in NA and its the reason Global population has dropped to >100 from 200-300 4 months ago.

Without PVP there is no reoccurring content. All the crafters/traders are equally a part of the PVP sect of the game. They supply the tools of war to their clans and nations. Because of that they should be equally treated as targets in PVP. Therefore rank flag captain + should not have the ability to call reinforcements. Its cheesy as hell. 

New players should always have the room to grow as players, but players who are way experienced shouldn't get a free pass, and i'm sorry but @Malachy is kind of right, if you're a rear admiral only doing PVE....you're pretty much lunch for the server (lol) sorry but that's the only way to put it. You might as well be on PVE, as you have no intention to put yourself on the line in PVP and every PVP battle you get caught up in you're just gonna complain  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  

Otherwise every playstyle should treated respectfully mindfully to their importance to the game. But lets not undersell the importance of traders and crafters, as they ARE the war machine, and should never be deemed so passive or unimportant as to give them immunity to PVP.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hethwill said:

One of the nice memories of a pvp encounter is EliteDelta under RN colours hanging tough at the helm of a connie against PG Monkey and myself, in schooners. We did have to salute him and abandon the idea after he showed extremely great defense and ship & wind handling. Great lesson on how to handle a big ship versus faster and more nimble ones.

( silly enough the Renomee that was with us was miiiiiiiles away and refused to come close to help, but won't name the dastard :D )

Good memories :)

I remember being surprised when that Renommee stayed at max range chaining, wasn't much help to you haha. 

The problem is that unfortunately we have a map size meant for a game with a couple thousand players and it's only being filled by a couple hundred.  Every aspect of the game is going to be hurt by a lack of players, PVP the hardest.  To top everything off with a cherry, we now have another game by the same developer that is directly competing with a game that already has a very small population.  I understand your frustration at not finding PVP, but if you think kicking PVE players off the server is a good idea.....you're an idiot.  

the simply fact remains that NA needs more players.

• Like 5