Game-Labs Forum

Bow wave, spray and wake options

Is it possible to have the option to see more spray animations, particularly on heavy seas when the bow slams into oncoming waves. Also the option for ship wakes, for those with insane graphics cards to waste their bucks viewing :)

I would in extreme weather imagine spray to be hurled as high as the foremast and a cloud of spray fly back over the ship, large amounts of water running along the ships deck and out through the scuppers or gunports etc.

I realise this is purely a graphical enhancement and as such would not be a priority, but nevertheless I would request it is considered.

I've thought about asking for this too as I have a setup that could handle much more, but I can't think of a game out there that shows it well. Graphically it may be really hard if not impossible to make happen. 

Look at AC Black Flag, the ocean looks really great, my nephew plays it all the time and recently I noticed that if you look closely at the spray that comes over the bow it looks horrid, it looks worse than not having any, it's like a solid piece of something, he says he's running it on ultra and it looks like it otherwise.

Different engine than Unity, but it may be unattainable as of right now.

we actually have a better one.. but it hits FPS strongly. (as well as wake and more smoke) 

for EA we plan to have a bit better graphic setting options to provide more variety for powerful machines

Thats Awesome :) thankyou

we actually have a better one.. but it hits FPS strongly. (as well as wake and more smoke) 

for EA we plan to have a bit better graphic setting options to provide more variety for powerful machines

I am curious how much freedom can you (or engine) give to the players for tinkering around with these settings. More specifically about how low can you set them for allowing wider playerbase and to people with high end rigs who care more about stability and performance instead of cosmetic elements and graphical effects?

Will the engine allow to open console and go wild like in Quake or will it be more restricting with pre-set options?

• 2 months later...

I enjoyed my first storm map tonight, which led me to a thought on wave physics and effects.  Is it possible to have water break over the bow and deck of the ship in the appropriate situations?  I tried for a good bit to get it to happen, but even smashing the bow hard into the trough of a wave wouldn't do it.  

Edited by Jack Redmen

I think the ships might be a little too buoyant. Seas like that should definitely be 'coming aboard' more often, and obscuring the lower gunports of an SoL. Most of all the ships should be pitching into the trough and burying their bows more.

• Like 1

I think the ships might be a little too buoyant. Seas like that should definitely be 'coming aboard' more often, and obscuring the lower gunports of an SoL. Most of all the ships should be pitching into the trough and burying their bows more.

I believe you're right about the buoyancy.  This particular ship (Snow) seemed to float a little too high when traversing a large wave.  The bow always seems to stay a bit above the water line.  Even if it's not submerging, there should be some spray coming over the deck in many situations. I was in a smaller frigate with a lower freeboard than a SoL, so this should probably be even more exaggerated than you would see on the bigger ships.

Another issue that could be related to buoyancy, I've noticed a few ships that act like they have too heavy a keel.  They could probably heel a bit more.  The smaller boats could theoretically reach with a rail in the water in the right conditions.    

Admin replied to a post I made some while ago on this subject, higher bow waves, reactive waves to ship cutting/butting through them, higher spray, Rain etc

The reply was that these options were already available and had been toned down until the game has received suitable optimisation. Currently it seems those effects on the servers utilise too much processing power.

Link

http://forum.game-labs.net/index.php?/topic/2366-bow-wave-spray-and-wake-options/

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...