Game-Labs Forum

Repairs - Salvage

When you are far from a friendly port you can just use repairs you found on enemies or the ones you brought with you (but they might run out pretty fast).

What about an option while you stand next to boarded ship, right now you can just sink it - what if you could salvage some Hull/Rig Repairs out of it and sink at the same time.

Of course the ammount you receive would be corresponding to the size of the ship you sink. But even couple of repairs are better than having zero in hostile territory.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Darayavahus said:

When you are far from a friendly port you can just use repairs you found on enemies or the ones you brought with you (but they might run out pretty fast).

What about an option while you stand next to boarded ship, right now you can just sink it - what if you could salvage some Hull/Rig Repairs out of it and sink at the same time.

Of course the ammount you receive would be corresponding to the size of the ship you sink. But even couple of repairs are better than having zero in hostile territory.

You already have that.  Most NPC ships have hull and or rig repairs and rum on them.   I actually keep myself in stock of those things by killing a half dozen NPC combat ships in the OW.  

1 minute ago, Darayavahus said:

Yeah, but that takes time and you might lose more than you earned. ;)

This is a risk you take.  I can actually sink 2 NPC ships of the same class as mine without using a repair.   It just takes practice and patience. 

• Like 1

I read the title to this thread and was tantalized at the thought of salvage.  Thoughts of gaining rights to stranded or sunk ships.  This would be a fantastic addition to the game.  Having access to cargo and ship material, perhaps the remains of a stranded ship. The possibility of refloating her and towing or sailing her to port.  Added content.  But the elation sobered as I quickly remembered that our ships are invulnerable to weather, all shorelines are harmless and collisions with other ships are impossible in open world.   There is simply no opportunity for salvage.  Only plunder.

So we must be content with what we can get from the holds of defeated victims.  The chance that a ship may not have valuable content or material for repairs is an enhancement as it contributes to the interest by adding an element of chance.  Makes it more realistic too.

2 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Every NPC ship should have all hull/rig/rum on board.

That way hunting NPC in enemy waters for repairs would be a valid tactic for PvP players.

it would yes, as long as they don't have too many repairs, then it would be broken as you dont risk as much in pve.

So far, in pvp I tend to manage to loot more repairs then I use, so it would be different compared to what it is now, but I don't this its needed imo.

Worst case you get to buy them at silly prices from the free towns, not that gold is an issue now with the gold buffs from fights.

4 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

Good luck finding free town at US ports or Bermuda/Kidds Island or in Texas.

Exactly, Free Towns or "Open" ports are so rare, and you would have to find repairs available. So basicly a miracle.

Of course you can bring repairs with you, but when you are badly damaged you will use up all of them at once. Unless you sail LGV...