Game-Labs Forum

Poll on limited use of repairs in battles

Repairs usage poll  

286 members have voted

1. 1. Limit the use of repairs in one battle

• yes
    • no

53 minutes ago, admin said:

why his enemies  did not use the "gamey multi-repair system"? There are 3 bellonas and 1 bucentaure 

We don't know why. maybe they just hadn't enough repairs to do it more than once. Maybe they weren't as aggressive and coordinated like you want players to be. But that imo doesn't change the fact, that the repair system sometimes artificially lengthens engagements. Combined with some repair mods, which others may not have for whatever reasons makes it sometimes cancerous. I agree that it sometimes also enables a player to win a battle against all odds.

And while aggressiveness is sometimes the key, I don't think that Cochrane is a good example here. Yes, he boldly approached the frigate but he pulled some good tricks (which also led to El Gamo not firing during her approach) and also denied the boarding from El Gamo three times. The major part of his aggressiveness was in the boarding action itself and another cheeky trick when they took down the spanish flag. Perhaps they would have all been slaughtered if this hadn't work, we don't know. But there were many actions in this battle which we can't do in-game.

EDIT: Maybe we should limit the effects of repair on the structure

Edited by Cecil Selous
  • Like 1

The thing I don't like about repairs is that you HAVE to have them, a lot of them or you can't hunt for more than 1 battle until you have to go back to port. That and people using them to run forever.  It's cheap gameplay.

Edited by Slim Jimmerson
  • Like 2

Personally, I don't think repairs should ever get ships back to 100%.  If repairs can only fix 50% of the damage taken, then when you lose 30%, you can only repair 15%.  Lose another 30%, you can only repair 15%.  The end result is a ship that gets patched up, but gradually deteriorates in battle. 

i.e. 100% drops to 70%, gets repaired to 85%, loses another 30% to 55%, gets repaired to 70%.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElricTheTwo said:

Personally, I don't think repairs should ever get ships back to 100%.  If repairs can only fix 50% of the damage taken, then when you lose 30%, you can only repair 15%.  Lose another 30%, you can only repair 15%.  The end result is a ship that gets patched up, but gradually deteriorates in battle. 

i.e. 100% drops to 70%, gets repaired to 85%, loses another 30% to 55%, gets repaired to 70%.

Isn't part of the problem the repair mods stacking - carpenters, perks etc., leading to 100% repair multiple times?

Also as I noted in the other thread crewmen repairing rigging should be more vulnerable to damage like crew prepped for boarding. Line ships IRL tended to withdraw from the line to make major rigging repairs for example.

Also @Cecil Selous idea of repairs not effecting structure is a good one.