Game-Labs Forum

Limit Chainshot

Limit Chainshot  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Limit Chainshot/Repairs (multi choice)

• Yes, limit chainshot/repairs
    • No, don't limit chainshot
    • Other (State what and why)

2 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Hodo 

Give every shot or ammo weight and mass was discussed at length a while back. The weight of the ammo as no effect on ship speed or performance RL. Was amazed when finding this out. The extra load factor in coding on the servers might be quite large, imagine a PB for instance. (this am not sure on so needs others input here)

So, the two choices realistically are limit the actual shots like Double Ball & Charge system or use load time increase to slow down usage. Dispersion increases also to make less effective at distance?

Again, I’d add grape into this as well.

Even dumping the weight per shot idea and just giving each ship a "shot locker" cargo hold, which can carry so much volume of shot.  

Say a Lynx which is a 8 gun schooner with a broadside weight of 24lb.   So if we were to say the shot locker had a capacity of 400 shots.  You can choose to load 200 ball, 120 chain, and 80 grape.  

If you go with the double charge perk, that will be limited as it is now, but the double shot perk, will use TWICE the ball ammo as a standard shot. 

You can make each ammunition a purchasable item in port, NPC supplied at a cost, say...

5 per ball

10 for chain

and 15 for grape, each shot.

Just throwing numbers out there.

Edited by Hodo
  • Like 1

@Hodo 

I love the idea you express, I’d add to the extent of making your own ammo amounts etc. Slipping into the hardcore blackhole again. This I believe the Genius that’s @admin would do this down the road. At the moment think about this…

PB 25x25 now mixed fleets from SoLs down. That’s 50 “Shot Lockers” carrying anything from a 11-Class to a 1-Class Cannonball, chain or grape. Your PC would do the calculations over and over again of the Ammo status that’s then Packet Sent to the server… times 50. The Shot Locker needs continual updating as well as existing systems that are in the packets sent out. Ping rate drain?

I’m not sure at all here maybe @Ink or @rediii knows. How much more load or strain would this add to the server? Could it be mitigated somehow…?

Personally, I expect it would be too great. Remember Individual Numbering of a ships is too high a load…

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/23150-idea-ship-build-number-tagging/

Would Sir prefer the usual Iron or the expensive Lead Ball…?

What if it could be done though… This would be my first suggestion. The LEAD cannonball although more expensive was more densely packed than a standard iron ball. This meant it flew further…

Read my post half way down with referenced links…

http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22132-double-shot-overhaul/

just a thought. @Slim Jimmerson sorry for wondering off the op

Norfolk.

Edited by Norfolk nChance

First off, we absolutely need to limit hull/rig/rum. It is just silly right now. A few days ago I had a 4th rate duel in a Conni against a Wasa. During the fight I killed nearly 900 crew off the Wasa, and he still had around 300 men. The surgeon should be able to bring a few men back to fighting shape, but right now he's resurrecting the dead, not patching up an injured man. 

After that, limiting chain seems like an interesting idea. I would want more than we get for double shot/double charge, maybe 8 broadsides? Sounds interesting though.