Game-Labs Forum

Idea: Ship Build Number tagging

9 minutes ago, admin said:

Unique ship IDs are too heavy database wise.

I never could understand how potbs, 2008 game managed to get everything people wanted in their game. Ship names, custom flags, loot, ship customization, music, story line, avatars..1000s of items and ships and yet here we are in 2017 and we can't even add silly ship names and tags. Unbelievable. 

Edited by George Washington
  • Like 1

Just now, George Washington said:

I never could understand how potbs, 2008 game managed to get everything people wanted in their game. Ship names, custom flags, loot, ship customization, music, story line, avatars..1000s of items and ships and yet here we are in 2017 and we can't even add silly ship names and tags. Unbelievable. 

One answer...

Different game engine.

More complex answer is, PotBS had a different engine and a different code handling ship naming and duplication.   The game had a less complex combat system and sailing system thus freeing up memory in the code for other "eye candy" things like ship naming. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Hodo said:

One answer...

Different game engine.

More complex answer is, PotBS had a different engine and a different code handling ship naming and duplication.   The game had a less complex combat system and sailing system thus freeing up memory in the code for other "eye candy" things like ship naming. 

Does it mean that NA Devs overworked graphics and sailing mechanics leaving no room for expansion? I mean we already witnessed new engine attempt with same heavy database load problems. Do you think Unity is not made for MMO games?

Just now, George Washington said:

Does it mean that NA Devs overworked graphics and sailing mechanics leaving no room for expansion? 

Not really.  The game engine NA is based on handles things differently than the game engine PotBS was based on.

I cant explain exactly how the differences are, because I dont know what engine PotBS used.  But it was not a Unity engine and it was designed differently.   And there is considerably more detail in our ships in NA vs those in PotBS.   Which is a big plus for many.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Not really.  The game engine NA is based on handles things differently than the game engine PotBS was based on.

I cant explain exactly how the differences are, because I dont know what engine PotBS used.  But it was not a Unity engine and it was designed differently.   And there is considerably more detail in our ships in NA vs those in PotBS.   Which is a big plus for many.  

It was called Intrinsic Alchemy engine. 

http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines/intrinsic-alchemy

How can you compare it to Unity?

General

• Object-Oriented Design
  • Plug-in Architecture
  • Save/Load System
  • Other
  • Data-driven architecture designed for real-world game development practices
  • The Alchemy Insight™ core engine with a plug-in architecture for the easy addition of new features
  • The Alchemy Finalizer™ application with Optimizer integration, data debugging and scene analysis, and feature extensibility
  • The Alchemy Optimizer™ library with a complete set of deafult optimizations
  • A game pipeline set up for current and next-generation consoles
  • Ability to replace Alchemy object implementations with your own
  • Fast IGB binary data format with external references and syncronous streaming for all Alchemy-derived classes
  • New tools, such as the Alchemy Event tracker for memory analysis, logging and debugging
  • Hand-tuned microcode for PlayStation®2
  • Implementation optimized for each hardware device
  • Fixed-function
  • Render-to-Texture
  • Fonts

• Environment Mapping

Lighting

• Per-vertex
  • Per-pixel
  • Gloss maps

Shadows

• Projected planar
  • Shadow Volume Projective Shadows, Self-Shadows, Planar Shadows

Texturing

• Basic
  • Multi-texturing
  • Bumpmapping
  • Procedural Cartoon Shader

Shaders

• High Level
  • Cross-platform shading support
  • Environment Maps, Multi-texture, Gloss Maps, Bump Maps, and Cartoon Shader
  • Ability to build your own per-platform shader the uses the same Alchemy pipeline

Meshes

• Mesh Loading
  • Max and Maya ArtistPack™
  • Intrinsic Alchemy Viewer™ and Intrinsic Alchemy Optimizer™ integrated with 3ds max™ and Maya®

Scene Management

• General Flexible Scene Graph enables shader support for complete integration from modeling tool to hardware

Animation

• Inverse Kinematics
  • Skeletal Animation
  • Animation Blending
  • Skin, Skeleton, and Animation Definitions
  • Animation: Transitions, Overrides, Multiple Active, Partial
  • Sking: Multiple, Segmented, Run-time Switchable
  • Simple IK Support with capabilities to add custom complex IK
  • Hand-tuned on PS2, GAMECUBE, Xbox, and PC for 1st party performance

Tools & Editors

Supported.

Scripting

Supported.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Hodo said:

Appreciate your time. 

• Like 2

Admin has also said (something along the lines of...) If we had simple (stupid: my words) "fighting mechanics" like EVE that would free up a ton of resources for other things.

I don't need anything but the actual fighting in NA and that has kept me going for years and will keep me here for years to come.

I don't even shed half a tear for the lack of some eye candy thing.

• Like 2

@jodgi

This is absolutely why I stopped playing EvE Online. It was like overnight and it broke me. The battle mechanic just acts like two spheres firing numbers at each other. I saw an advert for Star Citizen and you hit a PORT engine the ships dynamics steering is effected according to the damaged side…

That was it I stop playing. I came across NA somehow and immediately felt the difference.

More customization I agree is always good @Slim Jimmerson, but not at the expense of the base mechanic. Go try EvE its free. The battle mechanic now is so out of date it’s not funny.

Norfolk.

Just now, Norfolk nChance said:

@jodgi

This is absolutely why I stopped playing EvE Online. It was like overnight and it broke me. The battle mechanic just acts like two spheres firing numbers at each other. I saw an advert for Star Citizen and you hit a PORT engine the ships dynamics steering is effected according to the damaged side…

That was it I stop playing. I came across NA somehow and immediately felt the difference.

More customization I agree is always good @Slim Jimmerson, but not at the expense of the base mechanic. Go try EvE its free. The battle mechanic now is so out of date it’s not funny.

Norfolk.

What, paints or clan emblems? I'm not asking for anymore clan focus anything mechanics. Just cosmetics 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, George Washington said:

It was called Intrinsic Alchemy engine. 

http://devmaster.net/devdb/engines/intrinsic-alchemy

How can you compare it to Unity?

General

• Object-Oriented Design
  • Plug-in Architecture
  • Save/Load System
  • Other
  • Data-driven architecture designed for real-world game development practices
  • The Alchemy Insight™ core engine with a plug-in architecture for the easy addition of new features
  • The Alchemy Finalizer™ application with Optimizer integration, data debugging and scene analysis, and feature extensibility
  • The Alchemy Optimizer™ library with a complete set of deafult optimizations
  • A game pipeline set up for current and next-generation consoles
  • Ability to replace Alchemy object implementations with your own
  • Fast IGB binary data format with external references and syncronous streaming for all Alchemy-derived classes
  • New tools, such as the Alchemy Event tracker for memory analysis, logging and debugging
  • Hand-tuned microcode for PlayStation®2
  • Implementation optimized for each hardware device
  • Fixed-function
  • Render-to-Texture
  • Fonts

• Environment Mapping

Lighting

• Per-vertex
  • Per-pixel
  • Gloss maps

Shadows

• Projected planar
  • Shadow Volume Projective Shadows, Self-Shadows, Planar Shadows

Texturing

• Basic
  • Multi-texturing
  • Bumpmapping
  • Procedural Cartoon Shader

Shaders

• High Level
  • Cross-platform shading support
  • Environment Maps, Multi-texture, Gloss Maps, Bump Maps, and Cartoon Shader
  • Ability to build your own per-platform shader the uses the same Alchemy pipeline

Meshes

• Mesh Loading
  • Max and Maya ArtistPack™
  • Intrinsic Alchemy Viewer™ and Intrinsic Alchemy Optimizer™ integrated with 3ds max™ and Maya®

Scene Management

• General Flexible Scene Graph enables shader support for complete integration from modeling tool to hardware

Animation

• Inverse Kinematics
  • Skeletal Animation
  • Animation Blending
  • Skin, Skeleton, and Animation Definitions
  • Animation: Transitions, Overrides, Multiple Active, Partial
  • Sking: Multiple, Segmented, Run-time Switchable
  • Simple IK Support with capabilities to add custom complex IK
  • Hand-tuned on PS2, GAMECUBE, Xbox, and PC for 1st party performance

Tools & Editors

Supported.

Scripting

Supported.

Wow, now that I have had 30 minutes for a "scratch the surface" read of your answer - I can appreciate the complexity of NA more. 

Edited by Buba Smith
Spelling
  • Like 1