Game-Labs Forum

3" Ordnance or 10pdr Tredegar?

JochenHeiden

In my Army (CSA) I am currently running the 3" Ordnance, 10pdr Tredegar, 10pdr Parrot (captured) and the 20pdr Parrot.  If given the opportunity, which is the better gun to field, the 3" Ordnance or 10pdr Tredegar?  I have a lot of both and want to start consolidating my units to one standard.  I am having trouble determining their performance differences in battle, as both *seem* to be performing well.  The 20pdr Parrot is particularly good at crushing enemy batteries in counter-fire, but I have too few of those to make many batteries of them.

The 10pdr Tredegar has a sweet spot using shell shot at the closest possible range before canister kicks in.  At those ranges, it deals 24pdr Howitzer levels of damage at half the cost.  However, because of how picky the sweet spot range is, you'll have to micro the battery around a bit more.

3-Inch Ordnance Rifles less damage than the Tredegar, but does it across a much longer range.  Which is still good, mind you.

10pdr Parrotts are good at very long ranges (think of them as longer-ranged, but weaker 14pdr James).  Keep a battery or two around for counter-battery duties.