Game-Labs Forum

"Gentlemen" maybe not really gentlemen.

Since a couple of days ago I was reading both ingame and menu chat, some messages with not enough friendly connotations we want to receive. Perhaps it happens beacuse their authors were playing too much hours on the screen, or maybe a bad day, or maybe they are simply angry due to their personalities. Now I have read as many messages of that kind that I must say it in the forum in order admins, in a future, can have a basis where to develop a kind of reporter function in the game. 

Anyway, tonight I was sailing against a recurrent user of this forum, an user I thought was a complete gentleman. His behavior in the pre-game list was as a kind as the best friend, and after that he apologized for playing with a Victory ship of the line against my Constitution frigate that will result (in his own words) a complete unfair game, the battle started.

Well, I've tried to do my best, of course, and I was completely convinced that I was not going to offer my ship under French without fighting. With this in mind the battle started trying to keep the distances between the Victory and my Constitution, not too close to avoid unnecessary risks, and not too far ( the maximum range of my solid (single shot) cannon balls). That battle was, ultimately, a long range combat. Some percentage of his sails were down, and, trying to hit with single ammo over his uncovered deck to try to break a mast, in a lucky round, I broke his bowsprit. 

The combat reach the 40 min and my enemy was a bit angry trying to catch and supress to me (once almost he achieved when we were no more than 30m in the only and closest distance of the battle). In that time, he give me an ultimatum: 1. Start a real battle with the results all of us will know. 2. If not, he will disconnect of the game. I said to him that simply I will not surrender my ship. He answered some words that I will not try to remember but that sounded a bit offensive. After that, he disconnected.

IN SUMMARY:

1. Dear enemy: if you were waiting an easy Victory (no te pun), I'm so sorry.

2. Sea Trials are for combat tests, and with tests I want to mean that we will TEST the naval combat entirely, developing tactics. And due to I don't wait to have more guns to fight with bigger ships, is logic that we must look for new ideas on the sea. In this case: a simple long range combat.

3. You have to repair (again) your bowsprit...I've broken it after you disconnected:

DSC_0120.jpg

Good night!

Some ppl live in different world, as I see. Man, did you really understand, that victory can do same thing? He can brake your masts much more effective.  He, on "Victory", can smash your ship, like if you where a fly. Demast, sink, rape or anything what he want. And all you can do to counter is... Kite with mast-snipering? Thing which is boring and hated naturaly. And you think, you are hero after this? Don't think so. Its not test, just time wasting, wake up. Every second "superman" on this alpha do this in solo fights. Maybe its just a game, but in this situation its you, who was annoying. I can't say you was wrong, doing things which is not forbidden, or anything you count as approriate answer with your firepower, but annoying - yes. So it means, that I can understand guy, who exit that battle, too. 

Hm. I don't know - this seems more a tale than a true story. Not that I'm saying it's not true (I'm completely sure it is) ,but if you don't give name nor more details of exactly the kind of unamiable things that guy told you then...what's the point of this thread?. Give the name of the guy, so we can all keep a close watch on his reactions and attitudes, without that name this thread is purposeless, IMO.

Maybe I'm losing something here, if I am, then disregard what I said, but again, if you witness this kind of behavior, just openly state who was the offender.

He did not include the name because he is trying to be a nice classy guy, I think.  As for the battle itself, I see no problem with fighting a battle like that however you see fit.   The vic should have a massive advantage in a ranged fight like that so I'm not sure why he would complain...  Getting in close and brawling is something I love to do, but only fools would claim that is the only "proper" way to fight...

• Like 3

I got called a loser in game last night. I was asked why I had thrown my ship away in close combat. I replied "why not". To which he replied think about the team. I replied it's an alpha so winning matters not at the moment. He then called me a loser.

Some people seem to have forgotten it's a test and shouldn't be taken to seriously.

Some people should also understand i am too old to worry about losing and will play the open release in the same way.

Oh and calling me names just makes me laugh.

• Like 1

Some ppl live in different world, as I see. Man, did you really understand, that victory can do same thing? He can brake your masts much more effective.  He, on "Victory", can smash your ship, like if you where a fly. Demast, sink, rape or anything what he want. And all you can do to counter is... Kite with mast-snipering? Thing which is boring and hated naturaly. And you think, you are hero after this? Don't think so. Its not test, just time wasting, wake up. Every second "superman" on this alpha do this in solo fights. Maybe its just a game, but in this situation its you, who was annoying. I can't say you was wrong, doing things which is not forbidden, or anything you count as approriate answer with your firepower, but annoying - yes. So it means, that I can understand guy, who exit that battle, too. 

Say what you want. Annoying is when you fight against some Nelsons (because now we can find a lot of people who, suddenly, feel free of naming to you 'loser' or 'jackass' because of their higher sailing knowledge and you don't act as they expected) and make to them things more hard to achieve or, just a bit, challenging. So I don't share your concept of TEST anyway, and I don't mind if your are a tester, my friend. I was free to choose to click on PVP and maybe to be matched against a bigger ship, but he was free (too) to choose to select his Victory and click on PVP and wait both an easy combat and a not really easy combat. And, if the combat time results to you annoying, I'm so sorry. Next time I will try to break masts more rapidly. 

------------------------------

Admin, I have the lower graphic configuration due to my low cost graphic card. And yes, it is a cell-phone shot because I had not Fraps opened.  :lol:

------------------------------

I will give the name only to Admin, if he requires to me.

That's all, my friends. Good morning! ^_^

• Like 1

I wasn't casting any aspersion on your choice of media to take the screen, just answering the Gentleman's question above.

In regards to negative behaviors in chat, hopefully we all can make a maximum effort to keep to the Articles of War and treat our enemies, and friends, with all the respect due to them.

Edited to ensure nobody thought I was accusing Senor Gomez of ungentlemanly conduct.

Edited by Henry d'Esterre Darby

Tbh, if the outcome is certain but you decide to fight at long range the outcome is not changed, merely the battle will take longer or perhaps go to the time limit. As such you are wasting the time of both participants. And yes this is alpha but still people are playing for fun, and there is no punishment for loss at this stage, you really are just wasting time. If you don't wish to fight in a hopeless battle just exit to lobby and pretend you sailed away.

Tbh, if the outcome is certain but you decide to fight at long range the outcome is not changed, merely the battle will take longer or perhaps go to the time limit. As such you are wasting the time of both participants. And yes this is alpha but still people are playing for fun, and there is no punishment for loss at this stage, you really are just wasting time. If you don't wish to fight in a hopeless battle just exit to lobby and pretend you sailed away.

I completely appreciate your words, but I completely nor agree with you.

Well Mr Gomez, you played a boring game that didn't help you at all and he played a boring game and rage quit.

Both of you are in the wrong:

Alpha is about testing ship vs ship so running away is against what we are trying to do... therefore you are wrong.

Also you gain points by doing damage, a victory due to a rage quit isn't going to win you a noddy badge :) or HMS Victory.

But he was a total idiot, after 10 minutes he should have said: "Look here you are wasting my time, fight or a quit" so even if he was a more experienced player he should have said "that's it, I'm done" after 10 minutes and allowed both of you to enjoy the game. I take it that you didn't have a victory and he had been playing the game for longer, in which case he should have known better.

• Like 1

I side with Commadante Gomez. We are testing mechanics for he devs, yes, but we are also testing mechanics for ourselves. When games go live I want to know which shot works best in different situations, can I force missed shots by maneuvering, is charging in on an equal ship worth it, AND can you kite a superior ship in order to survive.

If you don't like his technique to have a chance against a superior ship then to dag gone bad. Are you gonna whine and complain when the game drops and people use that tactic against you? Do you think whining is gonna stop it? The goal Gomez had going into that fight was to win or force a draw (survive). If his best avenue to do that was to kite then he did the right thing and if we find that by kiting the Victory didn't have a chance then we have uncovered a proplem with the game. Testing accomplished.

What his opponent should have done imo was to simply concede the fight pleasantly. He should have said something like this, "Man, I can see that I'm not going to be able to have much effect on you if you kite me and since I find this kind of fighting boring, I will concede to you now and find another match unless you want to bring this to close action."

I side with Commadante Gomez. We are testing mechanics for he devs, yes, but we are also testing mechanics for ourselves. When games go live I want to know which shot works best in different situations, can I force missed shots by maneuvering, is charging in on an equal ship worth it, AND can you kite a superior ship in order to survive.

The problem for you is that things could totally change by the time the game goes live. I am trying to play the game to test it and don't honestly give a toss if I win or lose. Its a shame that some people seem to be in this test for themselves and not for the point of testing.

• Like 2

The problem for you is that things could totally change by the time the game goes live. I am trying to play the game to test it and don't honestly give a toss if I win or lose. Its a shame that some people seem to be in this test for themselves and not for the point of testing.

That's another thing we must avoid. Agree with you Gautrek.

Well Mr Gomez, you played a boring game that didn't help you at all and he played a boring game and rage quit.

Both of you are in the wrong:

Alpha is about testing ship vs ship so running away is against what we are trying to do... therefore you are wrong.

Also you gain points by doing damage, a victory due to a rage quit isn't going to win you a noddy badge :) or HMS Victory.

But he was a total idiot, after 10 minutes he should have said: "Look here you are wasting my time, fight or a quit" so even if he was a more experienced player he should have said "that's it, I'm done" after 10 minutes and allowed both of you to enjoy the game. I take it that you didn't have a victory and he had been playing the game for longer, in which case he should have known better.

I disagree with you. Running away and trying to figure out how to beat a way more superior ship is also part of this game.

Its just in this case it was by making Victory rage quit. But you have to admit Constitution learned a little about how to handle a Victory in combat. All of us are learning every battle. Victory blew his chance yo learn by quitting!!!! Shameful! You never quit! Ever.

My question is did you sink him after he left??? A golden chance to earn damage... And how many broadsides did it take?

There is not right or wrong in alpha testing.

There is no penalty for leaving a battle, if you have to leave or want to leave, leave.

Its alphaaaaaa testtttingggggggg aka there is no garbage about being right or wrong about how you should fight.

• Like 1

OK folks...just stumbled on this thread here.....

I was the Victory in question and let me present MY side of the tale before you all sandbag me to hell and back.

Starter, correct I did apologise for an unbalanced fight but neither of us could do much about it. I offered myself to take some hits for damage to my opponent, which he took and then, very skilfully it must be said, spent the next 30 minutes or so coming into extreme range, getting his broadside off and sailing again out of range before I could get my guns to bear (mostly chain shot I should add, just to add to the improbability of my ever getting to grips with him). With 20 minutes left on the timer it was getting very frustrating as I was getting nothing out of this. So I congratulated my opponent on his sailing skills and asked if we could now proceed to actually fight as this is/was the point of the Sea Trials and that if he wasn't prepared to do so then I would quit and do something just a little more interesting with my time. He said go on quit then....so I did.

It was NOT a rage quit by any measure. But seriously would anyone else have carried on for another 20 minutes of that? No lectures please about learning and tactics etc...because a well sailed Consti, and it was well sailed, will always sail rings around a Victory.  I certainly didn't need to waste any more of my time getting nothing out of it.

In an Open World scenario I would have carried on for as long as it took, but this is Sea Trials....and everyone deserves to get something out of it. Also I don't understand why he didn't take the opportunity to sink me and win damage in the final 20 minutes...oh that's right he was so far downwind he couldn't sail back that far in time

Oh and I think I may have called him a smartarse at the point he invited me to quit.....

Oh... and I'll also add it crossed my mind to make a snarky post about this encounter myself, but thought better of it, because you see I AM a Gentleman.

Guys, we're playing the game, not wasting our time, remember that ;)

My stance is that any tactic to ensure the highest chance of victory goes, just as in real life. That way we are also helping to test what things the devs need to fine tune or wether some things need to change entirely. Hence you'll never find me complaining about being kited, in such instances I'll be brainstorming a way that I can get back in the fight and I find that interesting as well - but that's just me. If I however have limited time and can't finish the fight then I'll simply say so and apologize for having to leave.

Regarding the particular incident mentioned by the OP, since I wasn't there I can't really comment on it, but if the kiting was done for reasons of self preservation in the fear that he would surely lose by getting closer, then it's all fair IMHO.

PS: If things get really boring, remember to listen to some good music or watch youtube in the background (I do it all the time if I am chasing someone ^^ )