Game-Labs Forum
admin

Sad news from Europe: Sixth coalition is kaput

IMO this change is incredibly stupid.  If the problem was about individual Nations getting beat up and run out of town the solution could have been to make the consequences of a lost port battle plunder instead of occupation: Some percentage of home-port player inventory could be offered up to be stolen. Some percentage of buildings could be destroyed by fire and many (limited to available crews) of the ships at dock could be cut out and taken away.  But after a couple of days (at most) the invaders have to leave and cannot come back for some period of time.  Anybody who lingers could either be teleported home or "destroyed" by rioting locals.

True invasions require a lot of troops... that's VERY expensive, which is why it didn't happen all that often.  So maybe a permanent occupation can be obtained for, oh, I dunno, 10 million gold.

Changes of this sort would greatly slow down the rate at which one country is diminished or enlarged and this nonsense about everything is a neutral port could have been avoided.

Edited by Genma Saotome

1 hour ago, Genma Saotome said:

IMO this change is incredibly stupid.  If the problem was about individual Nations getting beat up and run out of town the solution could have been to make the consequences of a lost port battle plunder instead of occupation: Some percentage of home-port player inventory could be offered up to be stolen. Some percentage of buildings could be destroyed by fire and many (limited to available crews) of the ships at dock could be cut out and taken away. 

People seem to be having fun with the new nations, so seems not to be "stupid" at all.  IMO it WOULD be really terrible decision to allow player warehouses and ships to be looted when they're offline like you're proposing.   

1 hour ago, Genma Saotome said:

Changes of this sort would greatly slow down the rate at which one country is diminished or enlarged and this nonsense about everything is a neutral port could have been avoided.

What's the problem with neutral ports?  It gives people more places to sail to and dock, which is a good thing. 

On 10/19/2017 at 2:03 PM, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

People seem to be having fun with the new nations, so seems not to be "stupid" at all.  IMO it WOULD be really terrible decision to allow player warehouses and ships to be looted when they're offline like you're proposing.   

What's the problem with neutral ports?  It gives people more places to sail to and dock, which is a good thing. 

I didn't propose looting warehouses when people were off line, I said some percentage of home port warehouses.  If the warehouses of people who were not playing are protected then by definition the remainder are "some percentage".  That percentage could be anything... arbitrary... some ratio of losses/damage in the port battle, whatever -- I'm not welded to any any specific answer there.   And if setting aside the warehouses of people who are offline  is what makes for both fair play and common sense, fine by me. 

The key point I was trying to make was to greatly reduce permanent conquest of ports.  Give the winners a reward of some kind (e.g., looting) but kick them out PDQ.  Give the losers reasonable protection so not everything is lost.  What's wrong with that?  What the Dev's have done is take away most national ports. I liked national ports.

As for what to do with neutral ports, around 9-12 months ago there were national wars and national alliances.  Seems to me any-ship access to ports could be given within alliances and trade ship access to anyone you are not at war with.  That would be pretty broad access while retaining the national character.

WRT all those new countries... there are reasons why they were not there in the first place (along with why there wasn't Ukranian Grain and Russian Vodka): Too far away, too poor, no navy to begin with, and late to the great game.   Let's not forget the overlooking of Portugal who happened to have a huge colony in the new World -- Brazil.  Perhaps it's too far from Kyiv to warrant mention in public schools.

IOW it's beyond nuts. The way things are now the DEV's have an equal justification for adding Japan, China and the Maori.  They'd be fun too. Can you imagine boarding parties of Maori?  37 killed by gunfire, 225 captured, 225 livers eaten.

Edited by Genma Saotome