Game-Labs Forum

Former PotBS 3D artist here, La Belle and Cruizer.

Just stopping by and letting you all know that I used to work on PotBS as a community artist, doing ship models for that game for them to use.  Two of my ships are in their game, the starter Naval Officer ship called the La Belle, and the 16 gun snow, Cruizer.

I still have my 3D models.  I heard that Naval Action might want things like this?  I also have a couple of unfinished 3D models that I could go back to and see if those might work as well (I'm a much better 3D model maker now than I was back then).

post-6128-0-09953500-1418625346_thumb.jpg

post-6128-0-09684900-1418625350_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Just stopping by and letting you all know that I used to work on PotBS as a community artist, doing ship models for that game for them to use.  Two of my ships are in their game, the starter Naval Officer ship called the La Belle, and the 16 gun snow, Cruizer.

I still have my 3D models.  I heard that Naval Action might want things like this?  I also have a couple of unfinished 3D models that I could go back to and see if those might work as well (I'm a much better 3D model maker now than I was back then).

There is a thread asking for community made ships but they haven't released the technical stuff yet.

Hi mate. Nice to have you on board. 

Tech specs are still under way. You might see that we have a pretty high standard in terms of textures and general model quality. In addition to that they need to be so to speak polished to death to work in a massive battle. Once we know what we want we will post in he shipyard forums.. 

La Belle would be a great vessel for beginners to sidestep the Lynx/Cutter.

There will need to be some serious updates based on the quality of models in this game however, specially with regards to the rigging.  Good to have you aboard :)

I went looking on some forums of the 3D modeling community, to maybe find some people who would love to make ship models for NA and I found quite a few completed models of ships that would fit our era... except they looked like total rubbish.

Made me appreciate the fine work NA has done already.

Well, the La Belle is a real ship.  You can go see the information on the wreck at the University of Texas.  Safety tip: when you get lost looking for New Orleans, don't go ashore in Texas.  There were Comanches and Apaches back in 1650 just like there were in 1850.

However, my model of the La Belle is actually off quite a bit.  I should honestly go back and re-do the model so it would be more accurate.

The only thing I would really need from the Naval Action guys at this point is a pack of textures that they would want used on their 3D models.  The textures can be low resolution versions of their textures.

• Like 1

Oh I know she was real - she's pretty interesting in and of herself.

It's like somebody took a frigate, then scaled it down to make a cartoon version for kids, then somebody with a lot of money said: "Well that's an excellent idea!  Build it!"

In terms of Naval Action though, she'll be unique - 6x 4pdrs is even less than the Lynx, but she's a square rigger and will thus aim much better at all ranges (with the current mechanics).

That said, welcome aboard weirdguy, and enjoy the ride.

I assume that Naval Action would probably want a higher polygon count for their ships?  I certainly would be fine with making a whole new model of the La Belle.  I have all of the blueprints, plus blueprints for dozens of other ships.

I may even finally get to make that 3D model of the Wappen am Hamburg ship that I have been meaning to get to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the La Belle is a real ship.  You can go see the information on the wreck at the University of Texas.  Safety tip: when you get lost looking for New Orleans, don't go ashore in Texas.  There were Comanches and Apaches back in 1650 just like there were in 1850.

However, my model of the La Belle is actually off quite a bit.  I should honestly go back and re-do the model so it would be more accurate.

The only thing I would really need from the Naval Action guys at this point is a pack of textures that they would want used on their 3D models.  The textures can be low resolution versions of their textures.

Me too actually, I've build the Naval Cutter based on the HMS Cheerful and too was wondering if I could get my hands on the texture pack used for NA.