Game-Labs Forum

Brock Road Union

kjchan

I'm in the Cold Harbor Wilderness campaign, and I suspected some bloody side missions...My first attempt on Brock Road...was not elegant.  I tried a double flank but instead it didn't time it well enough and only 1 wing engaged at a time.  I also didn't take a wide enough flanking position on my right hand side and still ran pretty much into their center.  I was starting to make head way and push through the 1st layer, but it was too bloody for my taste and I'm hitting the reset button.

Thinking about a single flanking maneuver with the vast majority of my forces next time.  Looking at the map, going to the right side of the map seems like it has the most cover for an approach.  When I glimpsed their defenses though it looked pretty deep and multi-layered.  Not sure a flanking assault will work here.  What did other peeps do here?

• Like 2

I pretty much did a double envelopment of the entire position.  One blue line stretching from one Rebel flank to the other.  The Rebels' right flank in particular is easy to break through, and you need to hold it later as a capture point anyhow.  Charge down the rebels across the road when you make it there and it should crumble with some prodding.

You can push through the undefended right and set up shop behind rebels and await their reinforcements in the cover of trees in the south and a combination of trees + river on the left. When the phase changes the rebels will push out against you can you can hold them in the northern treeline and right VP area, inflicting heavy casualties as you close in from behind.

The southern reinforcements is pretty spawn campy though (the distance between the treeline and the entry point is almost nil), and you can't really set up the left area without spawn camping the south reinforcements, so if that's not your jam you shouldn't go with this strategy. If you do choose to do so, you need to get there quite quickly and due to the nature of the 2-pronged spawn this is definitely one of the messier camps. If you leak on either side of the southern camp, try to get them to leak to the left so you can set up a comprehensive defense at the river. Your right flank holding at the river may also get harassed by fire from the Confederate main body, which can be quite a hassle, and Confederate reinforcements might choose to circumvent your defensive line by going to the north.

Still, I would guess this is the most soldier efficient strategy for Brock Road, if not a rather cheesy one.

Edited by maniacalpenny

• 4 months later...
On 12-9-2017 at 3:11 AM, kjchan said:

Do either of you gents have a stream of your battle by chance?

I killed 30.000+ CSA troops in this battle, lost 10.000 men though but got lots of weapons.

I deployed a couple of diversion brigades, and send like 6 brigades south around the forest. I deployed them at the most south woods to ambush the reinforcements. Then when my reinforcements arrived i swung them around the north western area and crossed into the woods to get the objective. CSA was stuck in the woods, i am sure that's where i suffered most of my casualties. The CSA even managed to get two full sized brigades and capture one of the objectives :D Had to re-deploy to get that back. One thing i learned is that never ever rush, careful planning is the way to go.

My most successful attempt at this one was when I swung the majority of my force on the Confederate left, attacking through the trees, overlapping a bit so I could flank/rear flank them. I had a sturdy force anchoring my left flank, pretty much to keep their attention and to prepare for any reinforcements and to protect the objective points. my right was the hammer and my left was the anvil.

• Like 1