Game-Labs Forum

Poor performance and unity 5 question

John Sheppard

Hi guys

My game has been running unreasonably slow (IMO) for the system i've got and i was wondering if any of you with comparable PCs could confirm the slow performance

i'm usually running at 12-14 FPS  at 1920x1080  on lowest settings  .. if i switch to 1600x900 then i get 16-18FPS

So my system specs :

Motherboard : Gigabyte B150M-HD3-DDR3

CPU : i3-6098P 3.6 Ghz (skylake)

Ram : Crucial Balistx sport 4GB+4GB (dual channel kit) at 1600Mhz

GPU : Geforce GT 730 (2GB GDDR5 verison)  (yes i know i should had bought a proper GTX but couldn't afford one)

SSD : Sandisk Ultra 2 240GB (my windows 7 and naval action are located on this)

Previously i had the DDR3 version of the graphics card so i tried to upgrade to the ddr5 version but didn't see any improvent.. i was expecting that i would get to say 20 FPS

Does anyone have any GPU similar to mine ? coz i would expect to get a lot more FPS from this .. the game doesn't look so GPU demanding on low settings.. i mean other games run very smooth with higher graphics 

also i've tried to use the cpu's internal graphics for a time  and that was giving me 9-11 FPS

Also i would like to ask if i will still be able to play the game when it moves to unity 5? or will it be even slower?

thanks in advance

I have done all this mate 

I built the system less than a year ago myself and nothing is overheating .. the gpu stays well below 60C and the cpu rarely exceeds 45C

i have no other programs running when i open naval action except steam and realtek audio  .. no antiviruses or any of that BS it's a completely clean OS

you need to figure out where your bottleneck is. from what i can see it might be your gpu but keep in in mind that even if you buy a better gpu your cpu might not be able to keep up with it.

i used to have amd phenom 2 x6 cpu + some old gpu and when i got the rx480 i did not really gain any fps so i figured my cpu was the bottleneck i ordered the ryzen 1800x and gained 50 fps. so when you buy new equipment for your computer its better to buy something good and use it for a few years then to go cheap and have to upgrade again.

i have just made more tests using the task manager and resource monitor 

the CPU usually stays between 9-20% with the occasional spike to 40-50% while the game is running

both the CPU and GPU stay reletively cool as i already said even tho the GPU seems to operate on a 100% .. i have tried to overclock it slightly without any major improvent (maybe 2 fps or so) so i gave that up 

i also checked my internet usage , it's completely normal and i get a 1.2mb/s download speed 

it's a fresh install of windows 7 and completely clean so viruses aren't the issue here it's just the GPU apparently

oh and the drivers i'm using are the latest from nvidia too

another thing i've noticed is that the game is using only 1.7-2.3GB of ram (with the whole system consuming 2.5GB-3GB of ram while the game is running out of my 8GB ) 

could it be that the game isn't getting enough ram since my steam folder is installed in the x86 program files folder ? if so how do i run it it in x64?

On ‎09‎-‎09‎-‎2017 at 1:08 PM, Peter Goldman said:

Unity 5 has better performance.

To improve your performance, do simple tricks:

1. Go to Nvidia Control Panel and mess up with the settings for NA

2. Turn off stuff running in background

3. Check if your equipment is not overheating using Speccy or HWInfo

4. If something is overheating/throttling then clean your PC from dust, use the heat-conducting paste to the processor, possibly get another fan to improve the air flow in order to lower the temps or getting better GPU and CPU :P

where do you find NA i nvidia control panel??