Game-Labs Forum

Player-selected ships 2017 - Initial poll

Barberouge

List  

642 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the vessel you'd like to sail most

• 1. Malicieuse (1758, French 32-gun frigate)
    • 2. Niger-class (1759, British 32-gun frigate)
    • 3. Euridice (1802, Dutch 32-gun frigate)
    • 4. Carolina (1808, Austrian 34-gun frigate)
    • 5. Saint Nicholas (1790, Russian 34-gun frigate)
    • 6. Santa Monica (1777, Spanish 36-gun frigate)
    • 7. Friderichsværn (1784, Danish 36-gun frigate)
    • 8. Venus, Bellona-class (1783, Swedish 40-gun frigate)
    • 9. Princesa Real (1819, Portuguese 50-gun frigate)
    • 10. Leopard, Portland-class (1790, British 50-gun 4th rate)
    • 11. Le Jason (1724, French 52-gun 4th rate)
    • 12. Principe da Beira (1774, Portuguese 54-gun 4th rate)
    • 13. Prinses Frederika Louise Wilhelmina (1779, Dutch 54-gun 4th rate)
    • 14. Leeuwenhorst (1742, Dutch 56-gun 4th rate)
    • 15. Delft (1782, Dutch 56-gun 4th rate)
    • 16. Fama-class (1784, Venetian 66-gun 4th rate)
    • 17. Wenden (1706, Danish 70-gun 3rd rate)
    • 18. San Giovanni (1789, Maltese 70-gun 3rd rate)
    • 19. Göta Lejon (1746, Swedish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 20. Vrijheid-class (1782, Dutch 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 21. Le Monarque, Sceptre-class (1747, French 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 22. Téméraire-class (1782, French 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 23. San Juan Nepomuceno (1766, Spanish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 24. Montañés-class (1794, Spanish 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 25. Rainha de Portugal (1791, Portuguese 74-gun 3rd rate)
    • 26. Wreker-class (1798, Dutch 80-gun 3rd rate)
    • 27. Foudroyant (1798, British 80-gun 3rd rate)

3 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Russia have already more ships in the game than Spain, for example.

All ships were voted by community. Community decides. 

But members of the community can influence other members to vote for their ships and sometimes bypass this by showing their commitment and drive to the developers by their ACTIONS (remember action leads to results, complaining does not).

2 hours ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

Hmmmm - I forgot about Mercury, lul. 

The latter is always a good point about the deficiencies of available ships for our current nationality options.  Those holes should have been filled already.  Although for the "fun" value having some ships of currently "exotic" nations will be good for game atmosphere in the long run, and as has been said it is in part done to flesh out the lineup for the non-Carribean arena mode game.

Mercury is a community voted ship

Managing expectations again.
Those holes SHOULD NOT have been filled already. Nobody owes anyone ships and we have never promised to fill some holes to anyone. The promise is 10 vessels. We don't update the website ship section deliberately. All promised ships (guaranteed ships) are on the website. 

Community members who want specific ships to get in must influence community members and developers directly by actions and kindness. (complaining will not help dutch to get to 1th place and will not help to get in to development without polls (like some ships we like)

8 hours ago, Peter Goldman said:

To be honest, I expected 3 ships to be chosen, 1 of each. I am pretty disappointed.

You are dissapointed with what? That we have given you a chance an amazing opportunity to pick a ship to add to game? You are the reason developers just add all new content as paid DLCs in loot boxes, because of never-ending demands by entitled groups, which make normal players suffer because if it was not for such never ending demands they could have just got the new content for free.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Which ships are almost ready? Eager to sail more good ships like the last ones you added.

I too am eager to sail more ships.

Although I am with a few others - Wish the 3rd rate we have in the game would be more "beefy" in the sense, it's currently outclassed by a few 4th rates and the Bellona. If someone is sailing a 3rd rate there are just getting themselves into trouble.

14 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

I know that community decides most of the ships. I have seen all the polls.

I have been playing this game since almost two years and trying to giving always my thoughts without so much rant I believe.

players forget that people make ships. not machines. 
every phrase they say here influences real people
how they say things here influences people 
every action they make here, in game, on steam forum or in steam reviews influences people 

Everyone knows dutch ship needs to get in but I wonder why players are voting for Temeraire and Montanes even when they know that dutch players really really want a dutch ship? What influences them and how? How posts in this topic will influence my wildcard choice, as honestly i feel sorry that i even started this poll as all i get in this topic is hate.

• Like 2

Entiendo el esfuerzo que requiere realizar una replica en 3D de un navío de la época (básicamente el simple proceso de informarse al 100% ya es un arduo trabajo). El problema es la ignorancia de la gente y luchar contra eso y explicarles que es un proceso laborioso en ocasiones es imposible, es como luchar contra la corriente, algo que a la larga agota. Entiendo que en el futuro añadirán más barcos pues el Naval Action que sentido tendría si no cuenta con la mayoría de los navíos representativos de la época. 

Mi opinión personal y teniendo en cuenta el trabajo que requiere cada navío es que se tendría que modelar uno para cada facción, esto ayudaría a la hora de equilibrar las peticiones de los distintos usuarios de la comunidad y reduciría el grado de frustración de muchos de ellos ... Programas como el 3DMAX+V-Ray no son tan complejos a la hora de modelar e integrar dichos modelos con sus texturas en el motor Unity 5 con sus pertinentes animaciones, mi recomendación personal es ir poco a poco añadiendo navíos para alimentar el interés de la gente en el juego, también sería recomendable revisar algunos bug de colisiones, efectos y mecanicas.

No basta en ocasiones en hacer participe a la gente en un foro por medio de votaciones, es necesario mostrarles el trabajo que realizan los desarrolladores y que vean el proceso en su conjunto para que lo puedan a la larga entender.

I understand the effort required to make a 3D replica of a ship of the time (basically the simple process of informing yourself at 100% is already an arduous job). The problem is the ignorance of the people and to fight against that and to explain to them that it is a laborious process sometimes is impossible, is like to fight against the current, something that exhausts exhausts. I understand that in the future they will add more ships because the Naval Action would have sense if it does not have most of the representative ships of the time.

My personal opinion and taking into account the work required by each ship is that it would have to model one for each faction, this would help in balancing the requests of the different users of the community and would reduce the degree of frustration of many of them ... Programs like 3DMAX + V-Ray are not so complex when it comes to modeling and integrating these models with their textures in the Unity 5 engine with their relevant animations, my personal recommendation is to gradually add ships to feed the interest of the people in the game, it would also be advisable to check some collision, effects and mechanics bug.

It is not enough sometimes to involve people in a forum by voting, it is necessary to show them the work done by the developers and to see the process as a whole so that they can eventually understand it. 

Edited by Asmoday

We're really, really short on 3rd rates, if you ask me. I pretty quickly narrowed it down to the Temeraire and the Montañes classes for me, but it wasn't totally easy for me to choose between the two. The Montañes-class is the sort of lovely underdog ship that people should vote for to help it get ingame, IMO, but the Temeraire-class was a very influential design which I feel has been noticeably absent from the game. If the devs were to come out and say that they were already working on a Temeraire, I'd switch my vote to the Montañes. As things are, though, my vote's for the Temeraire: it's time we had one of them ingame. I'll be happy to see either one of them win, though.

Edited by Arvenski

2 hours ago, admin said:

every action they make here, in game, on steam forum or in steam reviews influences people 

Everyone knows dutch ship needs to get in but I wonder why players are voting for Temeraire and Montanes even when they know that dutch players really really want a dutch ship? What influences them and how? How posts in this topic will influence my wildcard choice, as honestly i feel sorry that i even started this poll as all i get in this topic is hate.

The hate is not worth it admin,  dont feel responsible🙂 I dont no either why people are voting for Temeraire or Montanes. I am dutch and i think the only kid in this game. I would like to see a dutch ship too. We already have so much french ships. And i agree with you admin. People do effect the ships.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Intrepido said:

Hate is a strong word.

I highly doubt anyone around wanted to sound like that.

We all know that a dutch ship will be on the works after this poll. Some captains also want to see a bit more ships from their nation. And the best thing is that all of them looks nice and are going to be great content to the game.

they did sound like they intended to sound

If some players want some specific ships (nation or type) there are two ways to get them

one can ask "Where is my ___insert nation___ ship?"
or one can say "Could you please consider adding another beautiful vessel of this nation/type. We understand it is not free to make it so here is 10,000 dollars/100 nice reviews from our nation and eternal gratitude for letting us sail this ship and bringing our national naval historical pride to life"

there is a huge difference and second way will make a lot more ships built. Kind calf drinks milk from two moms.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, admin said:

People vote for ships they know or a nation they are play for. Dutch are underpopulated and who knows a Dutch ship is there any Dutch ship with a meaningful history? I don't know so I think a lot don't know it too.? I voted for a ship I know. 

@admin remember the ship starter pack announcement. It got screamed down because US pack should be the first.

Maybe when you want to bring new ships in make a pack with at least one ship for every nation and ships that help to fill BR gaps in NAL.

3 hours ago, admin said:

Snake

• Indiaman class got into second place and was added to the game. Indiaman class won the vote - not the dutch indiaman amsterdam. In fact all winners are in the game or waiting for furnishings (slow to make). 
  • We promised 10 ships and they were in game long before early access release - every other ships is a GIFT from developers and community hull builders like @BungeeLemming to all players.

You don't ask a gift horse too many questions, and if you want more gifts your tone is very inappropriate.

you know admin , i'd love to help with putting more ships in game . now i have no idea about 3d modeling. sure i could learn , and i might do so , but it would a hell of a lot longer than the development of NA. i am a really slow learner. I think what bungee has done and others is just awesome. i really way speechless when i heard that bungee and other players modeled some of those ships in their free time. I am really convinced of NA. I haven't been able to spend much time in game lately but i none the less , i love the idea and the game and the ships. is there any other way for ppl like me , to support the further development of ships other than voicing my opinion? nothing against voicing ones opinion but basically sometimes it just goes under in a forum as big as this. if there is any way ppl like me can support bungee or any of the guys making ships , please tell us how .

thanks

Well, one way to get more community-built ships would be to install a 'shipwright commitee' like PotBS had in the beginning - with a dev and community members who already got a ship in-game and know what they talking about when people asked questions on how to model certain things and to guide the development of work-in-progress ships by members.

PotBS got a lot ships that way, there just has to be the possibility of direct interaction between aspiring modellers and the devs.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Intrepido said:

Russia have already more ships in the game than Spain, for example.

About Venice, Malta, Portugal... why should we look into those navies when some of the most important nations in NA dont have even 1 ship built by them?

Seriously?

No disrespect intended mate, I'm all for the Spanish, heck, MOST nations here, having a much more full representation of their naval glory.  That being said, belittling the achievements of other seafaring nations is not the way to trumpet your cause.

A little history for you: 

The Knights of St John were long a bastion of Christianity against the Muslims, and eventually the Turks, long before the Spanish even mattered, and long after the Templars were ousted by the French.  Before they were at Malta, they were based on Rhodes.  Both locations are islands that were of significant importance: located on trade routes, naturally defensible, and boasting excellent harbors.  They fought on land and at sea.  Their history is little known after the Crusades because in the grand scope of nations, they held little in the way of territory, yet were always on the front lines of policing the Mediterranean.  Unsung heroes if you will.  They deserve as much representation as any major nation.

Venice was long a maritime economic power in the Mediterranean before Napoleon's forces overran it.  I don't need to go into detail here because Fluffy Fish already has, if you'd like to take some time to actually read about one of the greatest Italian city-states and the influence it wielded.

The one that bugs me the most though in your reply is Portugal.  The only other great naval power with a trade empire as expansive as Spain's (one could argue the Dutch or British, but for the sake of the thread, let's keep it simple) is its very own neighbor to the west.  Surely you don't hold the Portuguese in such great contempt that you'd make a mockery of its naval prowess?  Need I remind you that while some aspects of the Spanish Navy were indeed glorious (such as their shipbuilding), there were many that were just as damning.  Portugal boasted a fine navy during the Napoleonic period as well, even if it was significantly smaller than Spain's.  They were active in the war on the water as well, patrolling the English Channel and assisting the British in the chase of Napoleon to Egypt.  More than the other two nations, specifically preferred and especially for this time period, for the sake of participation, I believe Portugal deserves to be represented.

I do applaud you for your national fervor Intrepido, but I do ask you to actually do some cross referencing and study the navies belonging to other nations before making such a bold statement.  I enjoy my own nation's naval history and will champion several ships belonging to it that would be nice to sail in this game, but I'm a lover of history beyond my own shores too and it's because of this that I feel the need to champion these smaller, but no less important nations.

Haratik

PS - *waving dutch colors*

Edited by Haratik
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, Haratik said:

Is easy, look the map we are playing and who were the ruler and build more ships in the caribbean and who are one of the less represented with only 1 ship. Anyway in fact 3rd rates were the workhorse of the navies, so they should make the 3 supported on this post.

3 hours ago, Malachi said:

Well, one way to get more community-built ships would be to install a 'shipwright commitee' like PotBS had in the beginning - with a dev and community members who already got a ship in-game and know what they talking about when people asked questions on how to model certain things and to guide the development of work-in-progress ships by members.

PotBS got a lot ships that way, there just has to be the possibility of direct interaction between aspiring modellers and the devs.

2 hours ago, pietjenoob said:

I agree with Malachi on that, there are multiple knowledgeable people @SteelSandwich @Fluffy Fishy @BungeeLemming and a couple of others who know a lot of a certain nations. Who can help proposing/identifing ships

I'd be well up for this, you'd very much need to include @Sella22 @LeBoiteux @Surcouf and a few others in there too, given a practical small team of active participants between a group like that could create some great suggestions, it would be be of huge benefit to legends too, legends will need quite a few more ships to function properly.

We could informally start a message group but then things will get lost quite quickly, perhaps a discord or something?

• Like 1

Personally, I'd like to point out that @Barberouge did a wonderful (and tiresome) job here selecting ships for this initial poll, considering that this very selection was totally dependent on the proposals made in the suggestion thread. Too bad more 9-pdr light frigates haven't been suggested here beforehand, as far as I am concerned. But you did a great job Barberouge !

Edited by LeBoiteux
  • Like 5

19 hours ago, no one said:

i didn't find any information about "Princesa Real" gun loadouts or any other images.

It is a dev request, so i ask if i can have additional information about this ship?

Thank you

Info is in the post linked (usually, scroll down a little if it doesn't show initially) and she was also part of the 2016 final poll.

15 hours ago, Fluffy Fishy said:

Thank you for pointing this out, I'm not sure why it was the wrong measurement, still at 12.86m beam she is much closer to the 50 SoLs and heavy frigates, clue being she is a Fregata Grossa, not Navi di Linea, I feel like she might be more at home with the other large frigates and SoLs, she makes much more sense as a 4th rate in this context.

Although in the proposed list she seemed closer to the 3rd rates, it's true she'd be part of the 4th rates compared to the Aga and Wasa. I changed her category.

Name Guns Gund. Length Breadth Max lb BS Wgt. Gunn. Wgt. Gunn. Wgt. %
Leopard 50 44.5 12.4 24 414 129 72%
Delft 56 45.2 12.7 24 432 137 76%
Wenden 70 52.4 13.5 24 480 167 93%
Wasa 64 49.3 13.6 24 594 174 97%
Agamemnon 60 48.8 13.4 24 600 176 98%
La Fama 66 48 12.9 24 609 180 100%
San Giovanni 70 49.6 13.5 24 756 192 107%
Göta Lejon 74 49.6 13.1 24 636 196 109%
Zeven Provinciën 74 50.9 13.6 32 796 211 117%
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, admin said:

Snake

• Indiaman class got into second place and was added to the game. Indiaman class won the vote - not the dutch indiaman amsterdam. In fact all winners are in the game or waiting for furnishings (slow to make). 
  • We promised 10 ships and they were in game long before early access release - every other ships is a GIFT from developers and community hull builders like @BungeeLemming to all players.

You don't ask a gift horse too many questions, and if you want more gifts your tone is very inappropriate.

It isn't a gift I'm paying for it Admin. Here. Pay me 40 dollars and we will "give" you gifts. What. No. It is still in early access and as such anything I pay is for the development and additions to your game. So if your team is making them, it isn't a gift. Community made ships are gifts, game developer material in early access is not. But that is besides the point.

Im not asking for gifts. I'm asking for an answer as to why the Hamburg and this Swedish ship were added over Dutch ships? Because I don't remember a poll for either of those two ships. So that sure isn't player decision. But if you link me the poll that shows both of these on top I'll gladly cease my "inappropriate" tone. 

I have played your game for well over a year, ever since it first hit steam, and I even got the chance to play it before then when there was no open world. 

And as far as community builders, I do believe there are several Dutch ships completed or near completed by this community if you care to go and look in the Dutch Ships forum post. Trust me, I am more than aware of the community builders I did not pay, who are giving gifts. And am more than grateful and that is why I am upset at you Admin and your team. You throw their work aside, even despite popularity in other polls. It seems to me and several other players of this community there is an extreme bias occurring and personal judgements being made off of grudges and ill will. And trust me, it is felt. 

I only hope the best for your team and this beautiful game. I have invested a lot of time in it to make it better, which is why I boldly reply back to you. I do not like your threatening tone, it is no way to approach a player of such dedication and commitment, but I understand your passion and frustration so I forgive you for it, but please, return the same favor and understand most of us are frustrated long time players. *most is the key word.

Godspeed,

OneEyedSnake

• Like 2