Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pelgerean

Ramming Speed...

Possible exploit here which may need to be looked at.

Ramming is very powerful, even if your in a much smaller ship.

You can take down a Surprise with a brig or cutter but ramming it top speed broadside on, then if you move at an angle to the ship, hit it with your guns but within a few mins it will normally sink from the ramming damage.

Is this correct?

Possible exploit here which may need to be looked at.

Ramming is very powerful, even if your in a much smaller ship.

You can take down a Surprise with a brig or cutter but ramming it top speed broadside on, then if you move at an angle to the ship, hit it with your guns but within a few mins it will normally sink from the ramming damage.

Is this correct?

Never rammed anyone on purpose!

BUT it is true that two to three times I hit a Brig or bigger (in PvE) with my Lynx and/or cutter broadside, fearing my own vessel might leak, but instead got a chance to fire at short distance as well - then to see the other ship sink while my small one drifted apart nearly unharmed.

I hear you say: So this is how he gains his points ... :D

Haha,

The weird thing is when it sinks it hasn't lost all of it's armor from the ramming, it just looks low in the water and goes down.

I should say the 5 or 6 times i've tested this, you don't just ram and move of, you keep sailing into the ship. Will try again today and show some screenshots.

Very very annoyingly i tried to take screenshots but they didn't save.

So in PvE Lightships.

2 Brigs drawn against 2 Surprises (a very unfair match up)

In my brig, i ran straight into the first Surprise at about 12 knots, just behind center and then unleashed a broadside into her as i passed. The other brig came up in support and also unleashed a close range broadside and in about 30 seconds the first Surprise was sunk, Armour was largely undamaged.

So my consort then moved on the other Surprise and engaged it with guns and was quickly sunk, i moved to get the weather gage and then ran down onto it at about 11.6 knots, again just behind center and peeled off and gave it a close range broadside through the stern, i then had the wind behind me and she was directly stopped into the wind and as i turned, taking about a minuet the Surpise was noticeably lower in the water. So i came to a stop as i came up to her at range with my other broadside and came to a dead stop to take some good pictures as she was definitely going down.... and she did.

1 Brig (with a little help) 2 Surprises sank, about 5 broadsides fired (i had done around 600 damage total).... that can't be right.

When you think about a frigates, in RL if a Brig ran down a small frigate with the wind behind it and it was unable to get to port to repair, it might sink. BUT maybe it's a fault in the AI control of the ships who don't do enough to avoid ramming.

• Like 1

Album attached of ramming and sinking Surprise in a Brig.

Not a perfect example as i actually nearly missed and they normally sink a lot quicker, will try to get a cleaner impact.

My guess is he completely forgot to swtich to survival and plug the holes made during the contact.

EDIT: I see you were against the AI, and they don't seem to use survival mode at all, thus they sink very quick after rammings - something you see all the time when they hit each other as well. It's not a problem in PvP however.

I have been in several collisions in pvp and pve. I have never intentionally rammed another ship however sometimes it is not avoidable, some captains are just not aware that regardless of what another ship does, it cannot stop on a dime nor turn on one.

I was recently in a pvp match where I offered to protect the stern of a Victory, I was in a trincomalee I believe. I basically manouvred in a zig zag course behind the victory firing alternate broadsides as opportunity arose at enemy ships closing in behind. The manouvres I was carrying out were repeated and obvious, yet the attackers never gave thought to my meandering course and accused me of ramming if my stern brushed their ships as my manouvres turned my own. I doubt any damage resulted as I did my best to avoid contact, however stubborness of some captains not to give themselves sea room is often the cause of such incidents.

Remember as a game players have little need to worry about getting their crew home safe and sound to their friends and family. A watery grave here merely means we can jump into the next match faster !

Remember as a game players have little need to worry about getting their crew home safe and sound to their friends and family. A watery grave here merely means we can jump into the next match faster !

You are absolutely right but as far as i know their is no rule yet against ramming and it seems to be an effective way for a small ship to take down a large one.

I've just graduated to the 6th rate so will see it it works against larger ships still.