Game-Labs Forum

Why did players leave?

Simon Cadete

5 hours ago, Fargo said:

If anything you guys are selfish trying to restrict everyone just in favour of your personal niche playstyle. Nobody wants to restrict your PvE gameplay, you can do whatever you want.

Two boldfaced lies back to back.

Find me one single post I have made where I ever said to restrict pvp on the pvp server.  Never.  I played on the server for over a year, bro.  Wake up.  Pvp and pve both on pvp2-gone-global.  But yeah, there ARE plenty of posts telling us to delete pve.  Not everyone, but certainly plenty.  Read the forums before you spout off.  But you're blind too if you can't see it.  I want everyone to have fun in this game like everyone else, it is a great game.  But I am sick of these kind of garbage posts against pve play, and no I don't need to go away or be silent.  ;)

EDIT:  It would be my preference to quit the adversarial pve vs pvp trash talk too, but I will defend parts of this game if I feel the need.  How about a pve + pvp suggestion instead of the venom for once.

Edited by Jean Ribault
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Jean Ribault said:

Try being more tolerant of others' playstyles

5 hours ago, Fargo said:

You both should get a way from this PvE vs PvP point of view.

I'm talking about players that only play PvE or very rarely PvP and not a good mix of both. I can understand that people do some PvE when server pop is low or they want to chill, but it has nothing to do with people playing on the PvP server but trying to avoid PvP at all cost unless it is a fight that they can not lose. If you don't want to play PvP then you shouldn't play on the PvP server. It is really this simple and logical.

Edited by Landsman

5 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I'm talking about players that only play PvE or very rarely PvP and not a good mix of both. I can understand that people do some PvE when server pop is low or they want to chill, but it has nothing to do with people playing on the PvP server but trying to avoid PvP at all cost unless it is a fight that they can not lose. If you don't want to play PvP then you shouldn't play on the PvP server. It is really this simple and logical.

Frankly, after a while at port battles and pvp with a clan on pvp2, I found that I enjoyed the pve part of the game more, and so began to focus on that.  But played on pvp2 still.  I enjoy being in the pvp environment sometimes while playing pve, and don't see why that's a bad thing?  I played this way for quite a while.  If you come across me, I will still fight you best I can even if in my beloved LGV.  I think that happens to be good for the server, not bad.  And if you take my ship, you are welcome to all the loot you earned, since it was my own mistake, I won't surrender or destroy my goods to rob you of the win.  I just can't see how that can possibly detract from the game on any server, no matter what it is called.  Is that a wrong point of view?

3 minutes ago, Jean Ribault said:

I enjoy being in the pvp environment sometimes while playing pve, and don't see why that's a bad thing?  I played this way for quite a while.  If you come across me, I will still fight you best I can even if in my beloved LGV.  I think that happens to be good for the server, not bad.  And if you take my ship, you are welcome to all the loot you earned, since it was my own mistake, I won't surrender or destroy my goods to rob you of the win.  I just can't see how that can possibly detract from the game on any server, no matter what it is called.

Yeah, but this doesn't apply to the safe zones and this whole comment thread is about PvE only veteran players on the PvP server in the safe zones.

Edited by Landsman

On 11/4/2017 at 1:41 PM, Landsman said:

It's not about what i want. It's about the fact that it is retarded to play on the PvP server, when you are a PvE player.

Why don't they just hello kitty off to the PvE server right away? It makes no sense?   All the more pity for those that chose the PvP server only to play PvE, because the only thing weaker than going for cheap and easy kills, is not trying at all in the first place.

I don't hate PvE players... i just want them to be honest with themselves - if they don't want to PvP, then why not play on the PvE server?

When i see 400 players online on the PvP server, then i expect at least the majority of those to look for PvP and not sit in the safe zone to PvE only.

19 minutes ago, Landsman said:

I hear you Landsman and think I sort of understand you.   You would like to find more PvP.  You may find it a little frustrating that some players are on the PvP server and not putting themselves in a position to engage you in PvP.  You also may not agree that players should be able to obtain ships and grow their finances without being forced into fighting with other players.

I like to play on the PvPEuro server because there are more players and I have more chance to interact with other players.  More trading opportunities with other players.  More chance to put my crew to work selling their labor.  More access to buy more kinds of ships.  The element of risk on either PvP server makes travelling more exciting and I've had some interesting close calls as I escaped from ambushes or chases when I am on a trade run.   I also like PvPGlobal because I have a different character and unique acquaintances there.   I am playing less on the PvE server but still find that the community is very helpful and arguably has the most dependable players in the game.  I'm very glad we have an option of a PvE server, the community there is stellar.  Recently I seem to enjoy the PvP servers the most but I do not look for fights (with players or NPCs), I avoid them.

It goes without saying that we all have different styles of play.  While I can appreciate that you favor fighting players,  it is a wee bit offensive that are suggesting my preference is retarded and  I should stay off the PvP server because  I value a different type of game play.

My method of gameplay has no impact on you whether I am on or off of the PvP server ... except on those occasions when I am traveling outside of my reinforcement zone and I provide you with a potential target for you to kill or capture.   The total player count does not have to equal the total people ready to PvP with you.    It is just fine if there are a couple hundred players on the server that are crafting, trading, fishing or just interacting and choose not to PvP with you.  They don't need to leave and play on another server.   You need to accept that not everyone has the same interests.  We have as much right be here as you do.

• Like 9

16 hours ago, Landsman said:

Yeah, but this doesn't apply to the safe zones and this whole comment thread is about PvE only veteran players on the PvP server in the safe zones.

What is your problem with people who play in safe zones?  Doing so is very limited and choosing to do so has a cost.  It's like you are personally offended if 100% of the enemy players are not at your disposal for murder.

That approach was tried this summer.  It failed miserably.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Doing so is very limited and choosing to do so has a cost.

What to the what now? Where is the limit ( other than the size of the area that pve players don't need anyways for mission grinding? ) and where is the cost? If anything it is a advantage, because you can get upgrades with 0 risk ( except for people that are so bad that they get boarded by AI ).

42 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

It's like you are personally offended if 100% of the enemy players are not at your disposal for murder.

You're making it sound like im a top dog and complete ace that only wants to farm average players. I'm no very good PvP player by any stretch of the imagination, i just play PvP on the PvP server, because that is what i enjoy and what the server should be about. I'm not a good PvP player, i just have the balls to get out there and fight even if i get my ass kicked sometimes.

Can you just explain to me why a PvE only player would choose to play on the PvP server? This other dude mentioned more players for trading.... who trades with other players when it is raining gold and you are 100% safe on the PvE server, meaning you never lose anything???

Edited by Landsman

The undeniable truth is that we will have to figure out how to fit everyone on one server while creating visible hot spots for PvP..

I think some are familiar with the POTBS system, while they failed on other aspects, I think they nailed it on that respect.

Just some food for thought.

http://potbs.wikia.com/wiki/Sea_combat

Image result for potbs pvp zones map

Edited by Rigs

2 minutes ago, Rigs said:

Just some food for thought.

Couldn't be arsed to read through it completely but the general gist of it is that you can only be involved in PvP by activating your PvP flag in port like the smuggler flag? Sounds like something that would make me uninstall the game right away... If i sail 2 hello kittying hours to find a single player from a enemy nation away from his capital, he should be fair game no matter what.

1 minute ago, Landsman said:

Couldn't be arsed to read through it completely but the general gist of it is that you can only be involved in PvP by activating your PvP flag in port like the smuggler flag? Sounds like something that would make me uninstall the game right away... If i sail 2 hello kittying hours to find a single player from a enemy nation away from his capital, he should be fair game no matter what.

There are also the red areas which increase in size based on the PvP/hostility.

Another big problem was that people were getting used to sailing ships that they were not mentally prepared to lose....  Lets face it, if you spend, let's say, 20 hours total gathering gold/mats to build a ship you want, then another 20+ hours buying/trading/farming the almighty mods, losing that ship really sucks....   This been SOMEWHAT alleviated in the recent patches, which, due to decent rewards,  make this game very playable again.  However, I still firmly that believe unless ALL mods get nerfed AND become craftable, then people are going to remain too attached to their ships to risk them consistently.  Its a fine line between the "thrill" of potential loss and the "crushing defeat" of total loss.  Too many "crushing losses" will drive anyone away from a game.  

Its hard to convince people to "only sail what you can afford to lose" when everyone wants to sail the big shiny thing....

• Like 6

Surrender

There is another way to lose a Sea Combat. During a Player vs Player fight you can offer to surrender. You can offer a percentile of your unsecured cargo to the attacking players. If the attacking player accepts your surrender he will get a random part of your unsecured cargo based on that percentile. You will keep the rest (if any) and you will not lose durability or outfitting.

This is needed....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Landsman said:

So just like the current PvP aspect?

There is more PvP now than while server levels were crashing.  More open world PvP, more PBS.   It would be better if player numbers recover, but that ship has sailed for a while.  The best we can hope for until the move to beta is to recuit new players and keep them around long enough.  That has improved too.

Your ideas would kill it again.

6 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

Your ideas would kill it again.

What ideas??? I'm perfectly fine with new players and low rank players being in and having the safe zone.... i just don't care for those that never start to get into PvP while playing on the PvP server.... i don't know what the hello kitty is wrong with those...

8 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

There is more PvP now

More is relative and 2 PvP battles are more than 1 but still pathetic with 300-500 players online.

2 hours ago, Landsman said:

You're making it sound like im a top dog and complete ace that only wants to farm average players. I'm no very good PvP player by any stretch of the imagination, i just play PvP on the PvP server, because that is what i enjoy and what the server should be about. I'm not a good PvP player, i just have the balls to get out there and fight even if i get my ass kicked sometimes.

Join the United States on Global.  Sail south of St Augustine during the evening US time.  You will PvP almost every night.  You can recruit others most nights for defensive duties.

As far as other players... There are not many PvE only people. There are lots of casuals who have the time to PvP once or twice a week often for the US clans that might be a port battle.  Other nights they might craft a bit, get goods or level a ship safely.  If they face nightly ganks (as it used to be), they will take that hour and play some other Game.

But we have been over and over this.  You seem incapable of learning from a previous failure and offering anything but more fail.

The enemy is not some player not offering themself to you as a nightly Sacrifice... The enemy is crashed population levels and a dead game.  Having some low risk fun is necessary for success.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Landsman said:

What ideas??? I'm perfectly fine with new players and low rank players being in and having the safe zone.... i just don't care for those that never start to get into PvP while playing on the PvP server.... i don't know what the hello kitty is wrong with those...

More is relative and 2 PvP battles are more than 1 but still pathetic with 300-500 players online.

When are there 500 players on global?

3 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

But we have been over and over this.  You seem incapable of learning from a previous failure and offering anything but more fail.

What?!?

2 minutes ago, IndianaGeoff said:

When are there 500 players on global?

I don't play on global.... i thought that server was dead already?

• 1 month later...

I quit playing as the game was consuming more and more time - and had become very boring and tedious to chase down materials and make everything needed to build ships.  I was spending 2-3 hours a day (or more) and just could not devote that time to the game - especially over the summer months.

44 minutes ago, ElricTheThree said:

I quit playing as the game was consuming more and more time - and had become very boring and tedious to chase down materials and make everything needed to build ships.  I was spending 2-3 hours a day (or more) and just could not devote that time to the game - especially over the summer months.

Hardcore mode from summer is gone. You can get all basic mats nearby.

1 hour ago, Stepp636 said:

Hardcore mode from summer is gone. You can get all basic mats nearby.

Yes, but the old players have come and gone.  Lots of new players got frustrated and quit.

They might come back after Beta or release, but they for sure are not coming back before.  Once bitten twice shy.  Some of them are quite chewed up.

In the end, a man who worked his way up to Rear Admiral and want's to sail the bigger ships, is not going to grind for weeks to get a ship he can't afford to lose.

• Like 1