Game-Labs Forum

Player selected ship 2017 - Suggestions

admin

Important update

We won't accept long lists of ships.

We want YOU to make a choice. we want You do decide which ship you want.

Lists will be ignored unless we find something very very special there. 

Please if you are interested in a certain ship getting into a game. Post that ship alone. 

2 minutes ago, Intrepido said:

Then, considering some guys proposed several ships in the same pòst or several posts with only one ship, without choosing his final proposal, the 90% of this thread do not match with the requirements demanded.

reason why i do now a selection of ships

As a fan of the smaller ships this is my pick

USS_Enterprise_model_in_col.jpg
Enterprise is known as the third USS Enterprise (1799). It was built by Henry Spence at Baltimore, MD, in 1799. This schooner was also called "the Lucky Little Enterprise”, a 125 ton brig. USS Enterprise was changed, repaired and rebilt many times during its career between 1799 and 1823. It changed from a 12-gun schooner to a 14-gun topsail schooner and eventually to a 16-gun brig. USS Enterprise was commanded by many famous officers in the US Naval history and won many victories at various sites. To name a few, John Shaw (the Quasi-War with France), Andrew Sterett (the First Barbary War), and Stephen Decatur, Jr. (burning frigate Philadelphia).

We will never have good trafalgars without some french or spanish third rates.

So why not. I support the idea of the spanish third rate Montañes, which took part in Trafalgar and survived.

About all those dutch models, most of them are quite ugly. The stern decoration are meh. Also most of the prizes the british took from the dutch werent in active service a long time because their shipbuilding was trash in comparison with most nations.

I thought I might look at the ideas and potential additions from the venetian list of Venetian ships and While this isn't going to be a list of suggestions, this is a little warning to the devs a little like one of my previous posts on this thread just as a caution when looking at potential Venetian ships and the possibilities to model them accurately enough to put them in the game. There is quite a bit of dificult with the records of venetian ships and this mostly comes from the prominence of the Venetians using models as ther main reference in construction much later than the likes of the Atlantic nations, this is almost always the case until various reforms undertaken in the mid to late 18th century by Venetians who studied shipbuilding in England and the Netherlands and until the 1770s it was really quite uncommon for ships to be planned out in the same fashion of western and northern Europe. Generally speaking Venetian ships were built using two references, The shipwright would build a model, and draw a picture, similar to concept drawings we see with modern architecture depending on where the shipwright studied would generally determine how extensive the concept drawing was and how complex/if they would include contours to show the shape of the hull so as to complement the models being used, you can see this in a respect by the post made by Leboiteux on the San Michael Arcangelo, however plans were usually more extensive when included with the Venetian 1st rates. This source issue adds to the other issue I mentioned earlier in the thread, the problem of the single hull construction.

As a list of visual sources as far as I am aware of broken down by main ratings of the Venetian navy:

• 1st Rate:
    • Giove Fulminante (62 guns, 1667); Both the model and plans are lost, although some paintings exist.
    • San Lorenzo Zustinian (70 guns, 1691); Some surviving drawings, a modern reconstruction, model some paintings from the Morean wars exist.
    • Corona (74 guns, 1711); No plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Leon Trionfante (70 guns 1716); Many plans drawings and paintings, no model.
    • San Carlo Borromeo (66 guns, 1750), numerous plans exist alongside a model (I beleive the model is housed in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum)
    • "1780"/La Harpe (70/74, 1797 Completed by France, Double hulled); extensive plans, no model, a picture of her as a prison ship.
  • 2nd Rate:
    • Drago Volante (48 guns, 1674); No plans, No pictures, possible model housed in Boston Art Museum
    • San Marco Grande (56 guns, 1684); no model, no plans, no painting
    • Sant Andrea (60 guns, 1685); no plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Fede Guerriera (60 guns, 1693); no model, no plans, no paintings.
    • San Spiridion (58 guns,1717); No plans, some drawings, no paintings.
    • Sant Andrea II (40/56 guns, 1724 Fregata Grossa); possible drawings, possible paintings, no plans no model.
    • San Michiel Arcangelo (40/56 guns, 1749 Fregata Grossa); Nice drawings, basic plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Speranza (40/58 guns, 1757 Fregata Grossa); Basic drawings, no model, some paintings, no plans.
    • Vigilanza (40/56 guns, 1766 Fregata Grossa); Possible plans (unconfirmed),  no model, no plans, possible paintings.
    • Fama (66 guns, 1784 Fregata Grossa, Double hulled); extensive plans, extensive drawings, a model situated in the Heeresgeschichtliches Museum, some great paintings too.
  • 3rd Rate:
    • Madonna Della Salute (44 guns, 1675); no plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Sant Andtonio da Padova (44 guns, 1684); no plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Monton d'Oro (24 guns, 1688); Basic Drawings, no plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Scudo Delle Fede; (52 guns, 1715) no plans, no model, no paintings.
    • Costanza II (28 guns, 1757): Basic drawings, no plans, no model.
    • Palma (38 guns, 1784, Double hulled) : No Drawings, no model but there are likely plans out there in France due to their capture, Medusa and Bellona saw service under the french, medusa being renamed Leoben and Bellona being captured again by the British in 1811 becoming HMS Dover.
    • Pallade (24 guns, 1786, Double Hulled); Good plans, no model, no drawings, no paintings.
    • Cerere (32 guns, 1794, Double Hulled); Likely has plans out there, she saw french service under the name Mantoue, no paintings, no model.
    • "44 Cannoni"/Muiron (44 guns 1797 completed by France, Double Hulled). Good plans, Great model, some nice paintings too.

While this is a fairly extensive list this is just from my long time trying to match up ships to drawings and doing a fair amount of research into the Venetian navy, there are also a lot of other unnamed craft out there, some named some not but its a lot like wading through treacle thanks to the difficulty posed by the destructive nature of Napoleon's looting combined with the methods used in Venetian naval design. Despite the lack of visual evidence there are good records on the dimensions of the ships, with a very rough silhouette drawing in a similar way to the ww2 identification charts but in colour, these are housed in the Venetian Archives.

Edited by Fluffy Fishy