Game-Labs Forum

The Royal Navy and nationalism

Kloothommel

Instead of trying to re-invent the wheel I might as well ask around here.

I am looking for writers (articles preferred) that discuss one or more of the following subjects in the 18th century (both early and late):

- Royal Navy as act of nationalism

- View on the RN by the common folk

- Popularity of service in RN (pressgangs etc)

- Popularity of RN in Houses of Parliament

I think you can get the general gest of things.

Context: For my studies I am taking a critical look at Dan Snow and the statement in Empire of the Seas: The Royal Navy was a national effort. I am looking into how national it really was and if it could/should be seen as an act of nationalism or if the BBC has reverted to the sin of teleology.

Edited by Cornelis Tromp

'The Wooden World' by N.A.M. Rodger has a Politics section it's set in the time period you are after, 'Empire of the Deep ' by Ben Wilson describes how the RN was a part of the National Identity quite well but it covers 793 to 2013.

"A history of the royal navy" by Martin Robson is a popular historical book that covers several generalist themes of the Royal navy from the onset of the revolutionary wars untill after Napoleons banishment to St. Helena.

i recommend that you ask in reddit askhistorians, they have a couple of people who know their stuff

and never miss the obvious: ask the royal navy itself as well as dan snow and the bbc. Those last two should have some sources to quote for their claims.

I'd ask greenwich museum too.

If they can't substantiate their claims, send them a broadside publicly.

Edited by Captain Jean-Luc Picard

Have you considered contacting some of the institutions connected to the Royal Navy? Many of the RN museums have online facilities, Possibly the RN's newspaper the Navy News sometimes runs articles on the Napoleonic navy and would know who to talk to both aboard ships with old names dating back to the period and in the public affairs office ashore. You could also try the Imperial War Museum at Greenwich or the curator at the HMS Victory Museum at Portsmouth. It's worth a try.