Game-Labs Forum

so I was playing the game : naval action, and it's one of my favourite games on steam with the most hour count, however when I look into the ships section I look through all the rates 7th, 6th, and 5th are filled up with numerous ships, look at 4th rate and plop, it decreases massively to 5 ships and gets worse on as 3rd rate has  2 ships and 2nd rates have 2 ships as well and picks up to 3 1st rates in total. Many people will say 'ADD MORE SHIPS' but I can give you a variety and I thought of modifications you could make to other ships. Mainly to the 4th-1st rates SOME ARE WHAT I WOULD LIKE OR KNOW ABOUT OTHERS ARE ONES THAT INTEREST ME BUT I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT.

7th rates:

'the heavy pickle' 

so we all know that the heavy rattlesnake is a fictional ship based on the real ship: rattlesnake and I was thinking if maybe you could improve a ship called: the pickle, not too much just a little, if you look at all 7th rates they all have 2 gun ports at the stern of the vessel, and the pickle has those and an additional 2 separated between both sides so 1 more on each side, the pickle to me is a very unique ship and if you made something another fictional vessel e.g  'the heavy pickle' you could put cannons in the rear and add 1 more cannon to each side of the ship by decreasing the width of the bow sprite holder thingy then it could work really well and be the transition ship between 7th and 6th rates.

basic outline for the 'heavy pickle'

guns: 16, 7 port guns, 7 starboard guns, 2 stern cannons

speed (average): 11-12.5

health: 2400 side, 600 bow 400 stern# (weak)

crew: 70

structure on sides: normal , small curve (can't bounce shots off)

5th rates: 

now I know that this isn't an actual sip but a class called: race - built galleons basically what the black pearl is: a fast and very manoeuvrable ship : especially with the wind, but it only has 14 - 20  cannons, 12-18 pd, per side and a few with the bow and stern chasers. its key advantage was its speed, they were ridiculously fast any where from 45 degrees in with the wind (faster than a surp or a renomee and even a lynx when with the wind.)

Spanish galleons: this picture basically shows what they look like quite small and unique holding a good calibre of guns.

Image result for spanish galleon

I have a completely made up ship here but I found it and it looks awesome, maybe you could give it to the players as a present for Halloween ;) here is pic

4th rates:

'the flying Dutchman'

the flying Dutchman is a real ship and was captained by Davy Jones, it was a man'o'war with 32 guns a broadside, I cant find any good information that doesn't involve pirates of the Caribbean or a short clip that doesn't help, so its up to the developers to include this one, and make it up, try to keep it as close to the real ship if u can find a drawing of it or a model but if you cant make it realistic, a ship that was a pirate ship and fast and big.

'The Mary Rose'

probably one of the most infamous ships in great Britain's history, a beautiful powerhouse and a masterpiece, holding up to 600 men, 90odd guns and a neat shaped hull. however, it could hold heavy guns of her time, however because in the 1500-1600 the cannons were weak compared the much newer ships so one of the 2 things can happen: equip her with weak guns, like 12pd or 9pd cannons and make her the superior 5th rate over the trinc or the endy, or equip her with 24pd and 18pd cannons and make her a 4th or 3rd rate to add to the collection.

basic outline for 'the mary rose'

guns: 90 43 starboard guns, 43 port guns 2 bow and stern chasers

speed (average) 7-9.25

health: 5500 side, 2000 bow, 1400 stern (strong stern)

crew: 450-600

structure on sides: outstanding, strong curve (60% of shots bounce)

3rd rates:

a Dutch warship called the 'William Rex': link to ship model : https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-MC-651

2nd rates:

The hms prince here look ok for a 2nd rate, it has a neat layout, although this picture is tight fitting to see the whole thing:

dIMG_6885.jpg

1st rates:

Sovereign of the seas: I don't know much about this one apart from that it is a beauty, an exceptional ship with 4 decks, I have a link to the model:http://modelshipbuilder.la.coocan.jp/sovereign2m.htm

FINAL COMMENTS:

I know that this is a big ask, but you developers have been amazing at everything and I want to give you a huge round of applause for getting this game out there and managing to work a game of this scale, there is just a few more thing I would like from this game:

1: build your own ship, I feel that this would be extremely complicated to add and I don't mind if it is not added at all, if you do, I will be amazed and I will have so much more fun than I already am having playing this game

2: animations, animations are hard but there are a link of 2 that I would like to see in later developments, you can use the keys O and P or another set for this, first O opens/closes the gun ports if the cannons are not now and P rolls out or rolls in the cannons you can use U or another key to set it like when firing cannons to fire from front back or random it will open the cannons from front back etc. and the second one is that you see the crew actually doing things, like when boarding the crew jump onto enemy ships and firing muskets and waiting for orders to fire and see them reloading, and have the full amount of crew showing, this animation can be turned on or off in settings as well for less compatible computers.

3: When I fire into the hull of an enemy ship, I like the fact that I see some splintered wood but I would like it if the wood actually collapsed and you saw holes in the ship, and if there is glass it gets smashed and you can here all the sounds if nearby or controlling the ship, like when stern raking all the glass goes flying and you see cannons getting ripped up and stuff like that.

4: explosions: when a ship explodes, it should be dramatic and devastating, in naval action: masts fall of and a little flame shoots up. Bummer if you were really hyped like I was. I would love it if the ship got torn in half, cannons flying everywhere and explosions and fire raining down, waves ripple like crazy and affect your ship like they would, and it sinking dramatically and fast, because if a ship explodes you would not be able to loot it I'm afraid, you wouldn't get there, or if u did u r dead.

5: and finally one more thing: remember the Mary rose? she turned so fast that she over turned and sank!! I've seen ships fire one broadside at me and then 10 seconds later they fire an second from the other side, please as a small tester, ass that if you turn to fast you start heeling, and you have 5 seconds to pull out of the heel and if its to late then you will start to capsize, this would be nice so people can stop spamming me with fire from surprises and renomees and specially 7th rates, it would help some gameplay, especially those who have bad manoeuvrability and I don't mind if not applied to small ships but please add it to larger ships like some 7th rates and 5+rates 

IN COMMENTS DOWN BELOW SAY WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN GAME: OPTIONS HERE:

SHIPS:

The heavy pickle

the Mary rose 

The race built galleon class

Spanish galleons

The ship for a Halloween present from the amazing developers

the flying Dutchman

the Mary rose 

William rex

Hms prince

sovereign of the seas

IMPROVEMENTS:

Build your own ship

Cannon Animations

Crew Animations

Damage hole thing in the side of a ship and smashing glass and destroyed cannons visble

Better Explosions (more realistic)(and dramatic)

Heeling consequence from turning to fast.

Thanks for reading put down below what you want.

• Like 2

Please dont get me wrong but the game - until now - managed to be free of any magic ships. And it will hopefully rest with a heavy unrealistic rattlesnake that would in real life be unable to perform like she does in game. Nobody would arm her with quarterdeck guns (which in real is more a poopdeck than a real quarterdeck if you think about it)

The forum does feature a collosal collection for ships and 99% of those are real things and inside the games timeline which is from about 1680 until 1820 +/-5 to maximum 10 years. Plans and models are there and some 3D ship models, too. Just take a look and be in awe what the community managed to gather. -> http://forum.game-labs.net/forum/28-shipyard/

Not saying that there will never be any fictional vessel ingame but.. I personally and certainly hope not.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, BungeeLemming said:

Please dont get me wrong but the game - until now - managed to be free of any magic ships.

but but but... We need at least the Black Pearl :D

13 minutes ago, BungeeLemming said:

Please dont get me wrong but the game - until now - managed to be free of any magic ships. And it will hopefully rest with a heavy unrealistic rattlesnake that would in real life be unable to perform like she does in game. Nobody would arm her with quarterdeck guns (which in real is more a poopdeck than a real quarterdeck if you think about it)

The forum does feature a collosal collection for ships and 99% of those are real things and inside the games timeline which is from about 1680 until 1820 +/-5 to maximum 10 years. Plans and models are there and some 3D ship models, too. Just take a look and be in awe what the community managed to gather. -> http://forum.game-labs.net/forum/28-shipyard/

Not saying that there will never be any fictional vessel ingame but.. I personally and certainly hope not.

there was only one little ship that was a model that would be fictional all others werent

the race built galleons were real class of ships, might of been only a few but they did exist also I could theoretically point out that the 'snow' was actually called Ontario and you cant say that it says snow because it is a snow brig, if it is, it should be called snow brig or a sloop of war

Edited by pepsifreddie

Problem with the ships in naval action is that there is in each class 1 OP ship, there is no reason to sail mercury in shallow portbattles cuz the heavy rattles will just grape you.

you even see it with the 4th rates, aggie is OP before it was the ingermanland even the new endy and the indy, its so OP why should I make a Belle Poulle or a constitution?

a good solution for portbattles is BR limit so you get like 10 first rates, 10 second, 10 third, 10 4th and 10 frigates. in this way you get squadron's and battle groups. if you have a portbattle like this then the belle poulle armor would be a good idea, or a speed build constitution instead of a slower aggie or even the first rates, when you have frigs to chain the target and have a stronger l'ocean to kill it. cuz atm victory is for tactics and wind direction the best ships, if you go full boarding a vic will always turn a l ocean in the wind.

1 hour ago, pepsifreddie said:

there was only one little ship that was a model that would be fictional all others werent

the race built galleons were real class of ships, might of been only a few but they did exist also I could theoretically point out that the 'snow' was actually called Ontario and you cant say that it says snow because it is a snow brig, if it is, it should be called snow brig or a sloop of war

you are splitting hairs. Snow is a rigging type. If you didnt have the extra spar that is the mast for the spanker you would actually have a brig rigged ontario. What name a ship has doesnt make is less real. The snow is the ontario. Yes. Is that wrong? cause its name differs or better said cause she does not have a name at all? I cannot follow your thought process.

The Cutter is the british cutter "alert". Also a real thing based off from real shipplans. Not sure whats fictional about her.

The shipmodels are all real. No magic in those. Some ships are overgunned cause the devs armed their bridle ports or gave them too heavy a load.

Now. Speaking Galleons. and the race buikd galleons were a evolution of the galleon. Eventually when galleons and race build variants developed further you got the typical ship of the line of the 17th century. The dutch seven provincien which is a clear evolution from these race build galleons was rejected. and that is a vessel from 1665. Just at the outer edge of the games timeframe.

What I want to make clear is that old ships have a very very slim chance to getting ingame. And that is for several reasons. They will be hoplessly underpowered compared to other vessels that fulfill the same duty. Sailing: worse. Artillery: worse. Armour (construction methods): worse. All they have is high castles to make a good boarding platform. (and those were reduced to make the race refit)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BungeeLemming said:

Look at World of Warships and what they are doing now with ships. They started this 'all goes' campaign and they sell well, very well. 

Edited by George Washington

35 minutes ago, George Washington said:

Look at World of Warships and what they are doing now with ships. They started this 'all goes' campaign and they sell well, very well. 

World of Warships is a completely different type of game.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pepsifreddie said:

so I was playing the game : naval action, and it's one of my favourite games on steam with the most hour count, however when I look into the ships section I look through all the rates 7th, 6th, and 5th are filled up with numerous ships, look at 4th rate and plop, it decreases massively to 5 ships and gets worse on as 3rd rate has  2 ships and 2nd rates have 2 ships as well and picks up to 3 1st rates in total. Many people will say 'ADD MORE SHIPS' but I can give you a variety and I thought of modifications you could make to other ships. Mainly to the 4th-1st rates SOME ARE WHAT I WOULD LIKE OR KNOW ABOUT OTHERS ARE ONES THAT INTEREST ME BUT I DONT KNOW MUCH ABOUT.

7th rates:

'the heavy pickle' 

so we all know that the heavy rattlesnake is a fictional ship based on the real ship: rattlesnake and I was thinking if maybe you could improve a ship called: the pickle, not too much just a little, if you look at all 7th rates they all have 2 gun ports at the stern of the vessel, and the pickle has those and an additional 2 separated between both sides so 1 more on each side, the pickle to me is a very unique ship and if you made something another fictional vessel e.g  'the heavy pickle' you could put cannons in the rear and add 1 more cannon to each side of the ship by decreasing the width of the bow sprite holder thingy then it could work really well and be the transition ship between 7th and 6th rates.

basic outline for the 'heavy pickle'

guns: 16, 7 port guns, 7 starboard guns, 2 stern cannons

speed (average): 11-12.5

health: 2400 side, 600 bow 400 stern# (weak)

crew: 70

structure on sides: normal , small curve (can't bounce shots off)

5th rates: 

now I know that this isn't an actual sip but a class called: race - built galleons basically what the black pearl is: a fast and very manoeuvrable ship : especially with the wind, but it only has 14 - 20  cannons, 12-18 pd, per side and a few with the bow and stern chasers. its key advantage was its speed, they were ridiculously fast any where from 45 degrees in with the wind (faster than a surp or a renomee and even a lynx when with the wind.)

Spanish galleons: this picture basically shows what they look like quite small and unique holding a good calibre of guns.

Image result for spanish galleon

I have a completely made up ship here but I found it and it looks awesome, maybe you could give it to the players as a present for Halloween ;) here is pic

4th rates:

'the flying Dutchman'

the flying Dutchman is a real ship and was captained by Davy Jones, it was a man'o'war with 32 guns a broadside, I cant find any good information that doesn't involve pirates of the Caribbean or a short clip that doesn't help, so its up to the developers to include this one, and make it up, try to keep it as close to the real ship if u can find a drawing of it or a model but if you cant make it realistic, a ship that was a pirate ship and fast and big.

'The Mary Rose'

probably one of the most infamous ships in great Britain's history, a beautiful powerhouse and a masterpiece, holding up to 600 men, 90odd guns and a neat shaped hull. however, it could hold heavy guns of her time, however because in the 1500-1600 the cannons were weak compared the much newer ships so one of the 2 things can happen: equip her with weak guns, like 12pd or 9pd cannons and make her the superior 5th rate over the trinc or the endy, or equip her with 24pd and 18pd cannons and make her a 4th or 3rd rate to add to the collection.

basic outline for 'the mary rose'

guns: 90 43 starboard guns, 43 port guns 2 bow and stern chasers

speed (average) 7-9.25

health: 5500 side, 2000 bow, 1400 stern (strong stern)

crew: 450-600

structure on sides: outstanding, strong curve (60% of shots bounce)

3rd rates:

a Dutch warship called the 'William Rex': link to ship model : https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/collection/NG-MC-651

2nd rates:

The hms prince here look ok for a 2nd rate, it has a neat layout, although this picture is tight fitting to see the whole thing:

dIMG_6885.jpg

1st rates:

Sovereign of the seas: I don't know much about this one apart from that it is a beauty, an exceptional ship with 4 decks, I have a link to the model:http://modelshipbuilder.la.coocan.jp/sovereign2m.htm

FINAL COMMENTS:

I know that this is a big ask, but you developers have been amazing at everything and I want to give you a huge round of applause for getting this game out there and managing to work a game of this scale, there is just a few more thing I would like from this game:

1: build your own ship, I feel that this would be extremely complicated to add and I don't mind if it is not added at all, if you do, I will be amazed and I will have so much more fun than I already am having playing this game

2: animations, animations are hard but there are a link of 2 that I would like to see in later developments, you can use the keys O and P or another set for this, first O opens/closes the gun ports if the cannons are not now and P rolls out or rolls in the cannons you can use U or another key to set it like when firing cannons to fire from front back or random it will open the cannons from front back etc. and the second one is that you see the crew actually doing things, like when boarding the crew jump onto enemy ships and firing muskets and waiting for orders to fire and see them reloading, and have the full amount of crew showing, this animation can be turned on or off in settings as well for less compatible computers.

3: When I fire into the hull of an enemy ship, I like the fact that I see some splintered wood but I would like it if the wood actually collapsed and you saw holes in the ship, and if there is glass it gets smashed and you can here all the sounds if nearby or controlling the ship, like when stern raking all the glass goes flying and you see cannons getting ripped up and stuff like that.

4: explosions: when a ship explodes, it should be dramatic and devastating, in naval action: masts fall of and a little flame shoots up. Bummer if you were really hyped like I was. I would love it if the ship got torn in half, cannons flying everywhere and explosions and fire raining down, waves ripple like crazy and affect your ship like they would, and it sinking dramatically and fast, because if a ship explodes you would not be able to loot it I'm afraid, you wouldn't get there, or if u did u r dead.

5: and finally one more thing: remember the Mary rose? she turned so fast that she over turned and sank!! I've seen ships fire one broadside at me and then 10 seconds later they fire an second from the other side, please as a small tester, ass that if you turn to fast you start heeling, and you have 5 seconds to pull out of the heel and if its to late then you will start to capsize, this would be nice so people can stop spamming me with fire from surprises and renomees and specially 7th rates, it would help some gameplay, especially those who have bad manoeuvrability and I don't mind if not applied to small ships but please add it to larger ships like some 7th rates and 5+rates 

IN COMMENTS DOWN BELOW SAY WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IN GAME: OPTIONS HERE:

SHIPS:

The heavy pickle

the Mary rose 

The race built galleon class

Spanish galleons

The ship for a Halloween present from the amazing developers

the flying Dutchman

the Mary rose 

William rex

Hms prince

sovereign of the seas

IMPROVEMENTS:

Build your own ship

Cannon Animations

Crew Animations

Damage hole thing in the side of a ship and smashing glass and destroyed cannons visble

Better Explosions (more realistic)(and dramatic)

Heeling consequence from turning to fast.

Thanks for reading put down below what you want.

I would really like to see galleons in this game, they were so beautiful for me; also the idea of creating your own ship woukd be amazing too, it could give you some options of how many cannons you want, which class of cannons, the form of the ship...and then it's statitiscs could be generated from what u choosed, sounds pretty amazing

2 hours ago, Captain Dug said:

WE NEED THE BLACK PEARL AND QUEENS ANNES REVENGE PLEASE!

You realize the QAR was a 5th rate corvette... most likely not unlike a Renomee or a Cerberus.  

And I am against all of these fantasy ships, even the Heavy Rattlesnake.  I just want the damned Rattlesnake back in game.  

I have a simple fix to get more ships in game while removing ships that would have never been in the Caribbean.

Remove these ships.

Niagara

Pirate Frigate

Cutter (leave the basic cutter)

Trader Cutter

3rd Rate (The Ballona IS the 3rd rate)

Add these ships

Rattlesnake

Xebec

Mars (3rd rate)

Prince Neufchatue.

Santa Cecilia

If possible change these ships so it is an option for the captain

Brig - Trader Brig, Snow-Trader Snow, Lynx-Trader Lynx.   All three of these ships should be functionally identical except for crew and cargo capacity.   Not like they are now.

Chuliki, maybe edit (as in, slim down) that quote a bit? It's kinda annoying to have to scroll through all that again, when I've already seen it at the beginning of the topic. 

Also, galleons (and probably race-built galleons, too; I don't know much about them), the Mary Rose, and Sovereign of the Seas are all too old for this game. I believe the oldest ship currently in the game is the Ingermanland, from 1715. I don't remember the exact cutoff date that the devs have said, but I don't think they want to go much earlier than that.

2 hours ago, NielsVisser said:

Problem with the ships in naval action is that there is in each class 1 OP ship, there is no reason to sail mercury in shallow portbattles cuz the heavy rattles will just grape you.

you even see it with the 4th rates, aggie is OP before it was the ingermanland even the new endy and the indy, its so OP why should I make a Belle Poulle or a constitution?

a good solution for portbattles is BR limit so you get like 10 first rates, 10 second, 10 third, 10 4th and 10 frigates. in this way you get squadron's and battle groups. if you have a portbattle like this then the belle poulle armor would be a good idea, or a speed build constitution instead of a slower aggie or even the first rates, when you have frigs to chain the target and have a stronger l'ocean to kill it. cuz atm victory is for tactics and wind direction the best ships, if you go full boarding a vic will always turn a l ocean in the wind.

I agree, but the OP ships need to be fixed.  The Agamemnon is an aged Ardant class 64 gunner.  The Indy is a razeed Ardant.  They wouldn't have razeed it if it was "OP."  The Agamemnon should be on par with the Constitution, but certainly not OP.  United States class Superfrigate (Constitution) carried a max broadside weight of 888 lbs vs the Ardant's 566 lbs.

P.s.  Agree with the galleon, we don't need them, they are too old.  Game takes place at the turn of the 19th century, the vast majority of the ships are around that time and the map starts out after the American Revolution but before 1805.

Edited by Prater

1 hour ago, Prater said:

World of Warships is a completely different type of game.

I agree, we are only what 600 people strong right now? Simulator focused. Does it work? Personally I think not so well.

Today players require more than just sail and hope to spot an NPC game. We have many players waving money at Devs asking for a specific content and they refuse to listen. I just don't know why...

For example look at EvE or Albion. Simple grinding mechanics everyone loves. People grind and pay real money even with shitty graphics in Albion! This is insane imho. EvE is the same simple outdated textures, but people don't care. They love game mechanics and they pay for it. 

All I am trying to say here sometimes it's good to leave the box and try something new. 

Edited by George Washington

23 hours ago, George Washington said:

I agree, we are only what 600 people strong right now? Simulator focused. Does it work? Personally I think not so well.

Today players require more than just sail and hope to spot an NPC game. We have many players waving money at Devs asking for a specific content and they refuse to listen. I just don't know why...

For example look at EvE or Albion. Simple grinding mechanics everyone loves. People grind and pay real money even with shitty graphics in Albion! This is insane imho. EvE is the same simple outdated textures, but people don't care. They love game mechanics and they pay for it. 

All I am trying to say here sometimes it's good to leave the box and try something new. 

Who is waving money at the devs?  No one.  And are the devs not listening?  You've been around for 1 day, how do you know?  The developers have worked closely with players, more so than any other game I've known about, and probably to the detriment of the game, because no one can agree.  You have several blocks of players with different ideas and different playstyles and there is very little overlap.  So you change one thing and you have one large block of players happy but you have another large block very unhappy and writing negative reviews and writing rants on the forums.  The devs then change it to suit block 2 and you have the original block unhappy and writing negative reviews and rants on the forum and block 2 happy, but a third block that is now unhappy as well or in the middle.  Then you have a 4th block of people coming in new to the whole development process wanting to go back and test things we have already tested in the game that didn't work out, and they get upset when no one listens to their old and proven bad ideas.

Naval Action has thought outside the box on many things, look at ship combat/instance combat.  The whole combat system is unique and not even closely replicated in any other Age of Sail game.  Manual Sailing is unique.  Until Sailaway, few other games did this, and no other Age of Sail combat game did.  Same goes for the graphics, no other Age of Sail game has actual historical ships based on actual ship plans, not even Empire Total War or Napoleonic Total War (they claim to, but look at the ships, and you can see that they aren't.  That's why there are mods to make the ships historical).  Open World is not unique, but it has a lot of out of the box thinking, such as huge open world that takes hours to travel across the world.  No other Age of Sail game has that.  Originally the devs didn't want an ingame map for a sense of exploration and for players to create their own maps (exploration gameplay), but enough people cried so they added one in game (even though the player maps are a little more accurate anyway).

By saying look at other games, you aren't saying look out of the box, you are saying look at the box of this game.  But we don't want to replicate World of Warships.  Naval Action Legends can do that.  Open World is Open World.  It should be a massive version of Age of Pirates, Sea Dogs, PotBS and Sid Meier's Pirates set in the Napoleonic Era.

Back on topic, we are getting several new ships.  Off the top of my head:
Danish 90 gunner, Christian VII
Swedish 60 gunner Wasa
French Corvette/frigate, Hermione
American Hermaphrodite Brig Prince de Neufchatel
Kepler (Russian 2nd or 3rd rate Razee)
French Xebec
Spanish frigate Diana
and several more that I can't remember.

Edited by Prater

• 1 year later...