Game-Labs Forum

A vision for new players / safety zone

Might I propose the following decree:

1. The regions on the coastline from Calcasieu to Concepción shall be deemed new player area.
    1. Within the new player area it shall not be allowed to attack any other player ship.
  2. As an exception to 1.1, the Region of Yucatan, plus the Counties of Belize and Comayaqua shall be deemed RvR and PvP training area for Spanish and English captains alike.
    1. Within this area only Spanish and English captains can capture ports or attack one-another's ships.
    2. This area shall not play any part in the Conquest Competition, regardless of ownership.
    3. Any kills shall not count towards PvP Leaderboards.
  3. Calcasieu to Concepción shall be deemed eternal Free Ports.
  4. New players can only choose Spain or Great Britain as their starting Nation.
  5. New players are extended Forged Papers plus a one-time redeemable Mercury (of TBD quality) on reaching 4th rank.

To properly set expectations of new players it shall be communicated that we live an alternate history in which both mighty Spain and England have been pushed back west.

As the years tick towards the end of the 18th century other nations and pirates have taken hold of the Caribbean.

If these nations wish to regain their former glory then they need to build up strength and prepare to strike east.

If any captain sees faults in this decree, then speak now or forever remain silent. Otherwise I'll petition the powers that be to make it so.

Kontreadmiral Skully, First Envoy of the Free Empire

=== edit ===

- Added the Mercury redeemable to rank 4

Edited by Skully

29 minutes ago, Samuel Smith said:

i see fault why remove the british ports from the brits why not the danish ports?

Why even contemplate the current situation on Global as map reset will come (soon)?

• Like 1

Just now, Skully said:

Try asking that question on http://forum.game-labs.net/topic/22232-merge-servers-please/ and see what gives.

Do you have anything related to the topic at hand?

yes i agree with you about the starting level and such but would it not be a idea to put it to the pacific but let it be forgiving zone if you will :P too learn and the likes and when they are ready they can leave the pacific, when they get their first commision(getting a frigate or so) or so and then they will get to choose wich faction they can join in the caribean.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Samuel Smith said:

yes i agree with you about the starting level and such but would it not be a idea to put it to the pacific but let it be forgiving zone if you will :P too learn and the likes and when they are ready they can leave the pacific, when they get their first commision(getting a frigate or so) or so and then they will get to choose wich faction they can join in the caribean.

If it is possible to bring it to the Pacific, then yes I fully agree. However we currently need a fix that does not cost too much in terms of development. So I would rather for now give away a piece of the Caribbean and bring back the inflow of new players and afterwards see if the Pacific map proposal can be revived.

I like the idea of handing a Frigate (or something) redeemable at attaining a certain rank as well. Although that would require rank 6. How about a Mercury at rank 4?

• Like 1

I always liked this kind of idea but would the existing players not be able to exploit the 'rookie' area economically?

Or are you suggesting no crafting/resources gathering and only have this area for low level PvP and maybe PvE missions up to a certain rank?

2 hours ago, Custard said:

I always liked this kind of idea but would the existing players not be able to exploit the 'rookie' area economically?

Yes, but is that really a problem?

Alternatively allow everybody to be able to put up contracts and sail in with smuggler flag. Going even further by saying that smugglers can be attacked, but not attack of their own. Then veterans can mingle with the rookies and not pose an unfair challenge. While rookies would get exposed to dangerous(?) smugglers.