Game-Labs Forum

Cold Harbor as CSA

i64man

I am going to start by saying something everyone here already knows, the game is awesome and addicted. I completed the whole campaing for both the CSA and the Union at Colonel level and currently playing as CSA in Brigadier General. I have been reading the forum constantly and seeing what people say about scaling but I thought it couldn't be that bad, until I beat the Union at Gettysburg on day 1. So you have an idea how I have done so far on the major battles only starting after the 2nd Bull Run:

Battle                          Union Infantry Losses        CSA Infantry Losses

2nd Bull Run             29,842                                    8,448

Fredericksburg        45,288                                    12,902

Stones River            41,415                                    23,759

Chancerllorsville     24,602                                    11541

Gettysburg               17,023                                      6,701

After this battle, I see their strength increase to something between 122K to 127K before the Chikamugua (sorry for the spelling) battles. After the battle:

Chickamugua        52,570                                    25739

Now, I am getting ready to start CH and notice that their strength increase again to somewhere in the neighborhood of 152 - 157K. I only have 3 corps with around 31 - 33K troops total. Any suggestions on how to tackle CH once I finish the ancilliary battles will be appreciated. 

• 7 months later...

Not directly related to the OP but, same tittle...

I wanted to know if it was possible to Win, and what will the next phases be like.

I got an Early Victory at Cold Harbor with CSA. And It happen to be a DRAW?¿?

Deployment:

• 3 x Shock Cavalry
  • 3 x Skirmishers
  • 2 x Infantry

Resolution:

2 Skirmisher Bdes. went Northeast up to the first bushes, then the house blocks, to provide flank cover. Another Skirmisher Bde. went Southeast to scout the Union VP flag site and surroundings giving some flanking fire.

The remaining bulk of troops (3 Cav + 2 Inf ) went straight forward to the VP from the beginning. Captured the VP. Cavalry wiped the Federal Arty and the initial troops were routed.

Then the Union reinforcements came. I had to pull back the Infantry to the nearest house blocks (1 northwest, 1 southeast) supported by the aforementioned skirmishers on the wings plus their own detached skirmishers also.

2 Cavalry Bdes. went pursuing the initial stragglers past the meadow till the North side houses. 1 Cav remained in the West side of the map. When the Union took positions at the VP (which they Recaptured) that Western Cavalry charged the rearmost arty, obliterating it.

Then I reunited the 3 Cav Bdes. and continued to wreak havoc in the Union rear. Hitting and Running non-stop, with the most northwestern wood as safespot point so as to launch my charges from there.

As the Union forces began to retreat North, I ended in a South to North directed semicircle as you can see in the minimap of the photo taken.

5aa78e2bc9a90_ColdHarbor.thumb.jpg.ee0b5c8a58d03e8d2964f6a4c95d25c9.jpg

DRAW

· Career Points 0                 Reputation -38

· $79000                               15800 Men

* Interesting Notes:

- Several Officer Casualties.

- Got a Division General wounded instead of the Brigade Leader.

Replayed, deploying full initial Arty (6 Arty + 1 Infantry +1 Skirmish of 8 possible), Federals didn't come. A few tries repelled by cannon fire. Went to the next phase nearly unscathed...

My Question is... Is this working as intended?

Edited by LAntorcha
  • Like 1

I just tried this in the historical battle where old cold harbor was listed as contested when the mission timer hit 0. The battle continued until contested hit 0 and resulted in a victory. The draw was because you didn't take less than 40% casualties in your initial force. The victory conditions apparently only consider forces on the field rather than total army size committed. 8750 deployed, 3864 casualties. I was able to reproduce a draw under the same conditions when I took enough casualties.

If you haven't captured old cold harbor, still control the central breastworks, and haven't taken too many casualties when the timer hits 0 the battle should move to the left flank. Assuming you don't capture victory points early and don't take too many loses the battle should keep switching between the left and right flank and extend to 3 days.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

"If you haven't captured old cold harbor, still control the central breastworks, and haven't taken too many casualties when the timer hits 0 the battle should move to the left flank. Assuming you don't capture victory points early and don't take too many loses the battle should keep switching between the left and right flank and extend to 3 days. "

Just took two losses (game over type) with the first left flank battle; took almost no casualties, and while still holding the central breastworks, etc. If anything, the battle met the draw requirements.

Any ideas?

I had the first left flank phase result in a loss once when it appeared the battle should continue, restarted the battle and the issue didn't reoccur. I didn't have screenshots or anything to really check why the first attempt might have failed though.

On some other battles you need to make sure you're not completing any set of victory or draw conditions to continue, but I didn't think cold harbor was one of these. Best recommendation at this point would be to restart the battle entirely and to keep a save and a screenshot of a few minutes before the left phase should end so that you can check the conditions in detail.

Just replayed the game.. defended the right flank and did not take Old Cold Harbor purposely. The game moves to the left flank battle; apparently the game is not giving me credit for holding the left flank on the first battle there. I did not take (nor attempt to take) the two Union VP locations.

The after battle report shows the left flank as not being successfully defended despite not losing the CSA VP location. I don't remember needing to take and hold the Union VP locations to move to the next phase after the first left flank battle.

On 7/20/2018 at 6:20 AM, pandakraut said:

Perhaps the flag was still contested when the main timer hit 0?

I am guessing that is what happened..

Anyway, in the long run the Union was thumped. (BG level); great mod you guys put out, the game is still challenging, but proper tactics will win the day now.

Edited by BCH
deleted image