Game-Labs Forum

Idea: Offer a 30-day free Trial…?

What if the Dev’s offered a 30-day free trial to give someone new player a try? @admin said the NA Legend trails may start at the end of the month so something around the same time…

This was an idea by @Taurus454, clan [ISN] long standing player on PvP Global. Give him shout.

If you think its rubbish idea let me know, if you have a better one likewise…

Norfolk

I feel for a casual player, in 30 days they will experience one thing, the grind. They will have to deal with the placeholder UI, which in itself is quite a job to learn.

I think a 30-day trial is a good idea, when the UI is completed and there is some diversity to missions.

Edited by Demsity
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

What if the Dev’s offered a 30-day free trial to give someone new player a try? @admin said the NA Legend trails may start at the end of the month so something around the same time…

This was an idea by @Taurus454, clan [ISN] long standing player on PvP Global. Give him shout.

If you think its rubbish idea let me know, if you have a better one likewise…

Norfolk

game is not at a stage where it can hold new players interests. the devs have more work to do. they will at least need to get the UI finished first. maybe a soundtrack or something. game is not user friendly. only the most hard core of players stick with it. and even now they are starting to give up. 

• Like 1

Steam probably have more say on this sort of idea tbh.  With reagrds to player retention as KOC mentioned theUI , I think that the UI will be one of the last things finished sadly due to changes on the fly so to speak.

I would though like to see some DEV sanctioned you tube tutorials that they could get the players involved in, perhaps offering rare items , ships , modules as rewards for the best ones ? redeemables

That way a new player ( as I myself did in May /June ) would be able to read some up to date info , watch a few tutorials ( also up to date ) about all the different facets of the game.

also , bump the OW speed up 2% and reduce xp needed to level up. Nothing is worse for a new player than the realization that it could be months before you can crew that victory

there are loads of great vids on youtube of fights, wars , out of date tutorials , why not have some here for the new players or prospective new players to see. Might generate some traffic too

Edited by Vizzini
spolling mistokes
  • Like 1

14 day trial sounds more reasonable and Naval Action will need content that will make sure players stay after it expires. Also, there will need to be Invite a friend (get free item) promo as well as Emails sent to all current customers with free ship offer and nice list of new content that will make them return. Strong marketing and lots of good content is the only change Developers got. 

Edited by Lordicious
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Hodo said:

If you thought alts were a problem before... give away free trials and there will be a thousand more alts.  

14 or even 7 day trial will not cause alt problem. I can see you grinding for 48 hours non stop just to get into frig and then you have only 5 days left to play. This will actually force some to buy more copies. Always good.  

• 2 months later...

I just posted this on the Steam boards (https://steamcommunity.com/app/311310/discussions/1/1457328392105335856/):

I agree that a trial or some kind of limited free account would be great. 
I have some friends that play this but the cost is just a bit too steep for buying this kind of game without at least trying it a little bit first. 
Until then maybe I could arrange trying it at a friends place or something but most are distant online friends so I'm not sure it will be easy. 
I understand this might not be first priority during early access but I had to say it.

Edit: The Steam refund option is there i guess but the two hour deal is so limiting. 
Some kind of in-game progress limitation would be way better I'm sure. 

Maybe a 14 day limitation might be required to avoid usernames being locked or something but I'd like to add that IMO any really strict limitation on in-game progress and stuff would be vastly preferable to a shorter unlimited trial like 3-7 days. It's just annoying to be forced to play a ton in a short time. For instance with a 2+ weeks trial i could make sure to spend some time playing with my friends on two weekends instead of trying to maximize my trial experience over a few days on weekdays.

Edit: The code block was a bad choice because it didn't add automatic row breaks but i can't figure out how to get rid of it so i can replace it with text outside a code block, so i'll just add a bunch of row breaks.

Edited by Jutastre