Game-Labs Forum

Clock Time - To time enemy reload

A friend suggests an egg time in the interface to estimate time till enemy is reloaded. Observe enemy shot and start your egg timer.

I advised that once better crew and perhaps crew tiring is implemented this timer would be far less reliable.

He also wants a way to know when to fire during boarding - fire indication

In Ghost mode - After death wants to be able to see enemy damage from allied ships in observer mode.

A friend suggests an egg time in the interface to estimate time till enemy is reloaded. Observe enemy shot and start your egg timer.

I advised that once better crew and perhaps crew tiring is implemented this timer would be far less reliable.

For me is wierd idea. How you are suppose to know this. Maybe if we have some officers on board u can assigin some midshipman too mesure how offen enemy shoots. Its only way to implement this in my opinion.

In Ghost mode - After death wants to be able to see enemy damage from allied ships in observer mode.

As observer is ok, But in observer mode u are not allowed to chat and inform team allies about real damage.

He also wants a way to know when to fire during boarding - fire indication

No No and No.

And just in case you misunderstood No.

I agree. No on the first point

As for the second, I'd like to be able to see whatever the Captain I'm following can see which means I'd like to see the damage the enemy is taking. That being said, ghost mode needs to disappear completely when the game is released. When you sink or surrender your day is done or in the event of a surrender than you can only observe from your deck. Otherwise TS will allow the admiral of the fleet to continue directing it from an advantageous vantage point. In fact he may have advantages as he can click through the fleet to find the best perspective or lead certain groups of players.

• Like 1

Well, you can hear if they are re-loaded or not when you are close enough by listening to the whistle signal from their ships and based on the direction of the wind.

Of course, if you know how to identify them (they seem to be international at this point), you will know fairly easily what is going on in their ship without any other form of help.

I would assume, the creators of the game, did not place those whistle signals just for the sake of authenticity alone, they might also be used to your advantage.

I wonder what other functions an in game historical chronometer could help with?

Fuses? Mortar fuses? Time to explode for your fire ship? Or enemy fire ship?

If you knew the enemy reload is in 30 seconds, what would you do with this info.

I wonder what other functions an in game historical chronometer could help with?

Timing your own broadsides? (So you could see changes based on crew skill improvements, etc.) However, I would hope for some variability in broadside reloading times so that chronometers could not be gamily exploited to time enemy broadsides down to the second. Fog of War makes for better combat.

Coordinating maneuvers?

Timing mortar bomb fuzes would be hardcore. :)

If you knew the enemy reload is in 30 seconds, what would you do with this info.

A historical ship's chronometer would be struck down in the hold as a fragile and incredibly valuable piece of technology.

A simple inaccurate pocket watch, however, would be very useful. If I want to put distance between myself and an enemy, I will estimate that his next broadside comes in 60 seconds, and present my stern for the next 50 seconds. That way I can get in a good position and just barely avoid getting raked.

Timing maneuvers is foremost.  I'm not gonna give him my vulnerable stern or bow if i know hes about to fire. You also use that knowledge to get closer or to turn 180*. I pay very close attention to his reload. I don't time it or anything but I know that if he just fired I have time to maneuver and take risks without much chance of getting caught with my pants down.

Fuses? Mortar fuses? Time to explode for your fire ship? Or enemy fire ship?

I'm not really sure what a chronometer and the length of a fuse have in common. If the ball explodes to late than you cut the fuse a tad shorter the next time.

I thought fire ships were just that. Set a hulk on fire and let the wind and current take it to the enemy line. I didn't think there was anything more to it.

I'm not really sure what a chronometer and the length of a fuse have in common. If the ball explodes to late than you cut the fuse a tad shorter the next time.

I thought fire ships were just that. Set a hulk on fire and let the wind and current take it to the enemy line. I didn't think there was anything more to it.

think fuse has a generally known time/length factor (I know it does today, but I think it also did during the period we're discussing).  In general, each different type of fuse had a known burn rate, you can cut it to a certain time. It won't be accurate to the millisecond, but I believe it's pretty close to the second during that period.

Timing maneuvers is foremost.  I'm not gonna give him my vulnerable stern or bow if i know hes about to fire. You also use that knowledge to get closer or to turn 180*. I pay very close attention to his reload. I don't time it or anything but I know that if he just fired I have time to maneuver and take risks without much chance of getting caught with my pants down.

Of course, being the clever type, I will intentionally wait between shots some extra time, maybe even consistently, so that when you least expect it, I open with a full broadside when you thought I was still reloading.

think fuse has a generally known time/length factor (I know it does today, but I think it also did during the period we're discussing).  In general, each different type of fuse had a known burn rate, you can cut it to a certain time. It won't be accurate to the millisecond, but I believe it's pretty close to the second during that period.

I understand this. My point was that in cutting the fuse you arnt pulling out your watch.

I fail to see the porpose of this suggestion.

If you cannot count for yourself or estimate when the next broadside is falling you need more practise.

Also every ship can carry a wide arrangement of guns wich means a lot of different reloads.

Wich is amplyfied by the different "crew skills" we have. How could you possibly know the reload of any of your enemies when not knowing what they have in mind?

You literally have to read their minds to know the reload wich is only a minor knowledge to have.

If you see him fire one deck. Assume he has the next reloaded within the next 5-10 seconds. Its even harder with ships of the line.

Has he reloaded? wich batteries? what gunsize.

Its a 100% inconsistent factor. You never know the reloads hence your watch is redudndant to gather any information.