Game-Labs Forum

News Flash! Denmark Pearl Harbors France

Slamz

45 minutes ago, Duncan McFail said:

Very nicely written Slamz. The relation between Pearl Harbor and your peace would be a bit more correct if US had hit Germany first. But seriously this can't come as a surprise since you knew we were allies. Btw what's up with attacking Cap Francois and not showing up? Seems like an odd reason to go to war. 

If you want to get technical about it.  Here is the short version.

Germany invades Poland...  Poland had a mutual defense pact with France, England, Denmark, and the Netherlands.

France invades Germany as a response with support of English and Danish troops.

France falls back after making significant ground in Germany, fearing a trap by the German Army.

Germany contacts their allies, Italy and Japan, and request they increase pressure on English and French colonies overseas.

The US signs an arms deal with France and England, supplying munitions and vehicles to both nations.  

Germany steps up their pressure in the Atlantic sinking several merchant vessels.  

Germany invades France, Denmark, and the Netherlands.  

After Western Europe falls to Germany, the US increases its shipments to England.   

Germany contacts Japan to increase pressure on US assets in the Pacific.   

Japan needing oil and rubber, targets the Philippines, a US territory.    Strikes at US Pacific Fleet in Hawaii.   AFTER declaring war on the US.  But the official deceleration did not arrive to the US government until several hours after the attack had happened.

Due to weather delays, the attack on the Philippines, Wake, and Hawaii didnt happen at the same time, which was the plan.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tenet said:

On a PvP server, claiming that either is PvE is a grave insult and a troll bait. 

You can come up with a new name if you like but purposely scheduling PB's when you know the defender won't be around isn't PVP. In-fact it is the exact opposite.

12 minutes ago, Vllad said:

You can come up with a new name if you like but purposely scheduling PB's when you know the defender won't be around isn't PVP. In-fact it is the exact opposite.

You may be right, but it does not make it PvE, and your specific claim has several objections:

OW Hostility grinding when enemy does not show up to resist is now by rules of the game dependent on unreliable AI-Fleets, so some ports can be reliably set while others can take way more hours than planned.

I don't know past history, but most recently the only really bad times were scheduled either by accident (not realizing the server-reset time limit was removed and accidentally flipping for 1am Eastern)  or by people who play from a different time zone.

South East Asian players will schedule the time when they can show up.

North American players will try to do the same, and the majority of recent PB were scheduled for decent times (with noted accidents due to changed mechanics as exception). 

I think the real culprit is the low durability and relatively High cost of making 4th rates and above relative to the average player's income. Perhaps if ships weren't so difficult to replace compared to the time window of PB flips, or if the PB timing was less frequent, Nations would be more willing to fight with their ships. Perhaps not - there's a great human factor. 

In World of Tanks once the rookie clan I joined climbed (by losing battle after battle for weeks and months to superior clans and gaining battle experience) to the #2 rank on the NA server, some clans chose to give us fights, while others declined and showed up in Tier 1 tanks to troll because game rules didn't incentivize fighting a losing battle. 

Edited by Tenet
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Vllad said:

So what was Cap Francais all about? 

You scheduled it, had a bunch of ships outside and when our fleet left Mort, you guys scattered and hid at La Tortue. 

You could have engaged our fleet on the way to the port battle or later in the pb itself. 

By your own definition you are all a bunch pvers

• Like 1

Couple of points:

I like Hodo's take on WWII and Pearl Harbor.  I'm of the opinion the USA knew the attack was coming and purposely stalled the Japanese declaration.  It was awfully convenient that both the modern fleet and the bomber squadrons had all been ordered out of port. The Arizona was a WW1 era dreadnaught. It was never doing anything in the modern fleet.  In the case the similarity would be that NA France always expected Denmark to break the treaty. As such, everything valuable had already been moved out of the region.

Port Battles shouldn't be called PVE. To some they are the height of game play. But the port doesn't choose when it is flipped.  During the first Franco-Dane trade war it was almost all pure off hour opponent flips.  They came in, they sunk NPCs and the next day that sat in a half empty port battle for an hour. Then we came and sunk NPCs and the next day sat in a half empty port battle for an hour. This went on for a month. We learned a few things. Like, to master off hour port battle ping pong you need to master PVE.  We also learned that when neither side is actually losing ships they port you ping pong are actually irrelevant, other than basing for the next pong, because you don't need the port to build ships.

Edited by Bach

13 minutes ago, Simon Cadete said:

So what was Cap Francais all about? 

You scheduled it, had a bunch of ships outside and when our fleet left Mort, you guys scattered and hid at La Tortue. 

You could have engaged our fleet on the way to the port battle or later in the pb itself. 

By your own definition you are all a bunch pvers

Im sure some tactician on your nation can explain this better than a few lines of type.  It was about forcing the enemy to move out of position to expose weaker units.  If you don't move your main fleet we take the port. If you do move the fleet to defend we can attack the flank as long as we're more mobile. The result was multiple pirate kills by French players while the pirate fleet was otherwise occupied elsewhere.  I even got a nice screenie of our squadron parked in front of the fort at Mortimer Town. :)

Closest real life thing I could relate it too is possible the pre D-Day assaults on the beaches of Upper Normandy that convinced the Germans that the allies wanted those beaches for a short run to Berlin. When in reality they wanted the lighter defended beaches of lower Normandy. The Germans moved the panzers to the upper area for defense and the allied attack was in the lower with success.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Dharus said:

Dance puppet, dance!

So you take the time to run up a port not to show up to the port battle. In addition putting all your own ports at risk from multiple enemies. All this just to waste our time? Let me guess you're one of those guys with a no regrets tattoo. 

Edited by Duncan McFail

2 minutes ago, Duncan McFail said:

So you take the time to run up a port not to show up to the port battle. In addition putting all your own ports at risk from multiple enemies. All this just to waste our time? Let me guess you're one of those guys with a no regrets tattoo. 

They waste a lot of their time wasting everybody else's time. It's an exercise in stupidity and they exercise a lot

Wasted time? Nah we sank the trash outside while you guys feverishly sat in port for how long?  Only time wasted was by your decision because of your love of PBs.  I hope the pirates you left outside get something out of their lost ships.  I'm not sure 1 VM per week is enough.  I'm pretty casual player and have already earned my combat marks worth for the week.  Thanks!

And please, don't get so serious.  It's a game.

5 minutes ago, Dharus said:

I'm not sure 1 VM per week is enough.  I'm pretty casual player and have already earned my combat marks worth for the week.  Thanks!

I know I have, and I wasnt even there for the PB.  LOL

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tenet said:

You may be right, but it does not make it PvE, and your specific claim has several objections:

Even when the stars align and a fair port battle happens, it's more about the circles and points ticking up than it is about kills. Circles, points and timers = PvE.

If nobody shows up on one side then it's literally PvE: just your fleet, the clock, the points and a few woefully inadequate NPC forts.

Kinda like Arathi Basin in WOW, if that helps illustrate. A good match will have a lot of PvP but it's layered over a PvE mechanic of standing on flag circles. In a bad matchup, it can be more PvE than PvP. Just lots of standing around, twiddling thumbs. PvE.

14 minutes ago, Duncan McFail said:

You chose to waste your own time. You care about dots too much.

Any way, what do we care about your time. Our time was great. We got to sail around and sink people outside La Tortue and MT while you sat in your 1st rates and became irrelevant.

• Like 1

I believe YOHOHO is the leader of CCCP? This battle for the most part was 1vs1, myself and YOHOHO. It was only after 20-25 mins of running that the two ships in our fleet caught up by which point I was poised for boarding and turning him in to the wind.

image.png

Edited by Eldberg
  • Like 2

I'm not getting involved is a yelling match, or anything, but there were some of us, not in 1st rates outside of the PB, only thing we got to attack were some Brits that came up. had a good time, friendly chat in the battle. and when it was done, sailed away... now if the goal was to distract black into a PB so you can hunt smaller ships at Mort, good job, you win.

2 minutes ago, Eldberg said:

I believe YOHOHO is the leader of CCCP? This battle for the most part was 1vs1, myself and YOHOHO. It was only after 20-25 mins of running that the two ships in our fleet caught up by which point I was poised for boarding and turning him in to the wind.

yes, we were there for the second set of GB that came up and tagged the fleet heading back, good fights, thank you :-)

17 minutes ago, Slamz said:

Even when the stars align and a fair port battle happens, it's more about the circles and points ticking up than it is about kills. Circles, points and timers = PvE.

The Pot is calling the Kettle black. Literally Circles, Points and Timers are also present in OW PvP, particularly the AI-Fleet abuse, yet because you benefit, you pretend that's not the case. 

The circles on the PB map do produce points - forcing the ships to stay in limited areas and fight. You can turn a losing PB around by sinking enemy ships which also provides points and counters what they accumulated by capturing a circle. 

There are problems with both OW PvP and PB PvP that need improvement, but insulting players that prefer one or the other or both is the wrong way to go about improving the game. 

34 minutes ago, Dharus said:

Wasted time? Nah we sank the trash outside while you guys feverishly sat in port for how long?  Only time wasted was by your decision because of your love of PBs.  I hope the pirates you left outside get something out of their lost ships.  I'm not sure 1 VM per week is enough.  I'm pretty casual player and have already earned my combat marks worth for the week.  Thanks!

Getting assists for shooting sails doesn't give you a lot of combat marks but for you 68 combat marks might be a lot, who knows and who cares

10 minutes ago, Simon Cadete said:

Getting assists for shooting sails doesn't give you a lot of combat marks but for you 68 combat marks might be a lot, who knows and who cares

How many marks did you guys get for the 2hrs(?) you sat in port?

The basic cutters were a nice touch... reminded me of CCCP during our prime time.

Edited by Dharus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Simon Cadete said:

68 combat marks [snip]

68 combat marks / 2 hours * 7 days = 476 combat marks (assuming you only have 2 hours to play a day -- number goes up from there accordingly)

476 combat marks = 2.72 VM's per week

Seems like a much better use of our time than sitting in an empty PB hoping someone shows up only to get 1 VM per week and only if you're #1 on the list.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Khyron said:

I'm not getting involved is a yelling match, or anything, but there were some of us, not in 1st rates outside of the PB, only thing we got to attack were some Brits that came up. had a good time, friendly chat in the battle. and when it was done, sailed away... now if the goal was to distract black into a PB so you can hunt smaller ships at Mort, good job, you win.

It seems to have created several spin off pvp events in a few locations.  It's not that the goal was sinking ships in front of MT.  Had the Pirates not shown in a 25 ship near max fleet we would have just as happily went into the port battle. The tactic just gives us the option to react to the opposing teams choice,. BLACK seemed to have opted for Death Star fleet. So we reacted and went to the secondary target.

i think there are many of us having fun and it was good to see the Brits getting into it.  We learned some new things as well.  One is that our tactic had one huge flaw in it that we were very greatful the Pirates fleet didn't figure out. If so they could have potentially had more fun than us. 😊

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bach said:

It seems to have created several spin off pvp events in a few locations.  It's not that the goal was sinking ships in front of MT.  Had the Pirates not shown in a 25 ship near max fleet we would have just as happily went into the port battle. The tactic just gives us the option to react to the opposing teams choice,. BLACK seemed to have opted for Death Star fleet. So we reacted and went to the secondary target.

i think there are many of us having fun and it was good to see the Brits getting into it.  We learned some new things as well.

i'm having a good time as well. but your statement points out why I think BLACK/BLOOD/PIRATES did as they did, now, i can't speak for everyone, so this is just my opinion. If... IF BLACK had come out in fighting ships and not the "death star" BTW: love that description, then lets say, while in battles, losses get taken on both sides, French take port somehow.... now it's a week or more of "HA! we took a pirate port!" ... now... say they did as they did... defended port with the though of some OW after the land is secure. then it's "PIRATES WONT FIGHT and only care about their dots" ...

now, that being said.. it's a no win there, perhaps that was the point? propaganda ... as it were... and me, i'm fine with that... the fun and jabs are one thing. the friendly rivalry is one thing, the "pirates are on top so they are our target" ... is one thing... the hate and spite... the insults over pixels and toxic global... whole nother thing... now, im not saying just one side is guilty.... all i can say is i closed my global chat and personally have chosen to not add to it :-)

of course, the forum post every once in a while I will make, but they will be posts like this, not mud slinging, not insults, just what I see from my point of view. :-)

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Khyron said:

i'm having a good time as well. but your statement points out why I think BLACK/BLOOD/PIRATES did as they did, now, i can't speak for everyone, so this is just my opinion. If... IF BLACK had come out in fighting ships and not the "death star" BTW: love that description, then lets say, while in battles, losses get taken on both sides, French take port somehow.... now it's a week or more of "HA! we took a pirate port!" ... now... say they did as they did... defended port with the though of some OW after the land is secure. then it's "PIRATES WONT FIGHT and only care about their dots" ...

now, that being said.. it's a no win there, perhaps that was the point? propaganda ... as it were... and me, i'm fine with that... the fun and jabs are one thing. the friendly rivalry is one thing, the "pirates are on top so they are our target" ... is one thing... the hate and spite... the insults over pixels and toxic global... whole nother thing... now, im not saying just one side is guilty.... all i can say is i closed my global chat and personally have chosen to not add to it :-)

of course, the forum post every once in a while I will make, but they will be posts like this, not mud slinging, not insults, just what I see from my point of view. :-)

You will find that in general it is the same relatively small group of people that account for 80% or more of what you don't like.  If you just ignore those people, its really not all that bad.  Everyone, myself included, will get baited into saying something you might normally not but hey we're all human and emotions get the best of us sometimes.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Arsilon said:

68 combat marks / 2 hours * 7 days = 476 combat marks (assuming you only have 2 hours to play a day -- number goes up from there accordingly)

476 combat marks = 2.72 VM's per week

Seems like a much better use of our time than sitting in an empty PB hoping someone shows up only to get 1 VM per week and only if you're #1 on the list.

Based on what you guys killed and he wasn't in every single fight, all the ganker math you did was nothing but a waste of time typing all that crap. But hey since you're so eager to use a calculator and write down a bunch of irrelevant information maybe I'll have you do my taxes.

1 minute ago, Simon Cadete said:

Based on what you guys killed and he wasn't in every single fight, all the ganker math you did was nothing but a waste of time typing all that crap. But hey since you're so eager to use a calculator and write down a bunch of irrelevant information maybe I'll have you do my taxes.

Yup...probably about as much a waste of time sitting in an empty PB (see what I did there?) :)

• Like 3