Game-Labs Forum

Carribean 2017 "This isn't PVP2 anymore"

Bach

So far I have to say I like most all the new changes. Pvp is working well. RvR needs a few tweaks here and there but all in all I am finding this fun and challenging.

One thing I wish wasn't happening is all the complaining by players who expected this to just be the continuation on last years PVP2.  It's just slowing us all down with useless emotional drama.

I could get into a long list of differences between pre and post wipe but I won't.  I'm just going to say that every nation is viable and has a role to play. The easiest way to get some fun going is not to worry so much about winning port battles. Just go out there and make something happen win or lose. Try NOT to do exactly what you would have done on old pvp2.  Get creative and use the new rule set.  Short of Spain I can't think of one nation out there that doesn't have huge potential and that's just because Spain has no players.

What would your strategy be if you were The King of your nation?

• Like 5

I don't represent GB or my clan when I say this but...

I really think GB on global just needs to consolidate every combat asset at KPR and simply take back all the regions that touch or are immediately adjacent to KPR. This would drastically simplify coordination, maximize the participation of non-clan and small-clan GB players, and be best for the near-term for the health of the nation.

The grand strategies and pseudo Machiavellian  scheming are a massive waste of time and effort, are off-putting to more casual players due to the time required, and have, with a few exceptions, resulted in temporary, and ultimately empty gains.

"Never mind the maneuvers, just go straight at them."

Edited by St0nkingByte
many typos
  • Like 3

Dream on it not just like the PVP2 it is even more so.  I get that they want to kill us but right now it is more or less Pirate ver everyone else because they do not fight each other....... not that we care so much but we are going on 2 years now US and Brits have not fought each other. No reason to mention we have many Black dots on US and Brits even next to capitals they cant do anything about.  That we are constantly hunting from, for Hostility, one day you may run Mort up but not anytime soon

2017-07-30 11:38:34 PM: Aster: just so everyone is aware do not attack other nations around mort town. That is a pirate kill zone only 

Marcus Maturin: there is currently a large group of french and Us players hunting pirates. They are organized and the pirates have theyr tails between theyr legs (not any around mortimer) They dont attack anyone other than pirates up there so you can com and join in the 

2017-07-30 12:59:20 AM: Ingelia: And which French clans as I doubt Purge signed up for a NAP 
2017-07-30 12:58:24 AM: Ingelia: so what is the "understanding" with the French? 
2017-07-30 12:52:22 AM: Christendom: but be careful frenchies are rolling deep 
2017-07-30 12:50:19 AM: Thomas Pain: ok 
2017-07-30 12:50:19 AM: Christendom: yea traders are off limits 
2017-07-30 12:50:19 AM: Thomas Pain: but can i kill them on the os 
2017-07-30 12:50:19 AM: Christendom: right now we have an "understanding" 
2017-07-30 12:50:19 AM: Thomas Pain: is pvp with the French frowned upon right now? 
2017-07-30 12:47:23 AM: Clerk: TIZ sank Pirate player near La Tortue

Edited by JobaSet

US biggest problem is they keep listening to the same PvP2 guy that got nothing done back on PvP2. This is Global and we need change.  As with any nation if you keep doing the same thing over and over and it's not working it's time for a change.  Also you don't get better by sitting in port.  You have to come out and fight.  Though if you are out number or out classed don't rush out and get your self killed.  Pirates aren't crushed by a long shot by France or any one else.  What we are doing is telling folks to not go out solo in traders or with a small scrub force.  France is doing exactly what we do to US and GB right now.  We go to the capital and the only ones for the most part responding are the low levels and scrubs or small clans and they get slaughtered.  That and don't let some one egg you out into a fight you might not win. You always want to fight on your terms not theirs, but this doesn't mean not show up and fight at all.  By not fighting your not winning either.

The reason I always say GB and US need to fight each other is for two reasons. In the past they had close to same number of players, while not all where PvP/RvR players but any one can become a PvP player if they just get out and fight.  It would be good experience for both sides to fight a more matched skilled set of players to get them trained and organized.  It would also mean we can do other things our selves and tend to more PvP OW stuff.  Which by the way we do plan to deal with the french issue, but we plan stuff out and we need to switch from RvR mode to Heavy PvP (not solo/small group hunting).  These types of play takes different ships and with this patch it's not exactly cheap to have the dock space and ports to do so like it was before the patch.  

I actually respect what the French are doing right now, it's been ages since we had a few clans/nations work together properly.  Not to mention they are helping us clean house. A lot of the scrubs/mort rats they are killing are guys that jump ship from other nations.  Why the hell would we want some one that jumps ship in the first place.  IF they can't hack it they will prob roll to France or some other nation and that is not a problem any more.  The guys that do keep playing and fighting will get better and become good core PvP players for the nation and make it stronger not weaker.   This is yet another reason we keep telling the PvP2 guys they need to get out and fight other folks than just Pirates.  

I'l also like to say PvP2 wasn't this toxic on the furoms and global chat as it has been since Patch. Yes we had those few players, but no where to this level.  We need to leave old grudges in and the past and play the server we are all on now, PvP GLOBAL.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scout said:

Of Course nations are going to primarily hunt pirates the largest group on the server.  

We are not the largest group.  We might have the largest RvR/PvP force on the game, but we are not by far the largest.  GB has that honors and with the nation changing of some clans I think it's getting more closer to a balanced server than it ever has been.  Go look at our port battles and look at the names. It's the same 20-25 guys over and over.  Hell just look at the Lord Protector leader board and it will pretty much be the same names in all those port battles.

I would love to see an updated tally of active players logging in one weekend again to see what the nations numbers look like now a days as it's been what almost 3 months since the patch dropped.  They should of done one a month or so ago to let folks know where the nation balance are.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We are not the largest group.  We might have the largest RvR/PvP force on the game, but we are not by far the largest.  GB has that honors and with the nation changing of some clans I think it's getting more closer to a balanced server than it ever has been.  Go look at our port battles and look at the names. It's the same 20-25 guys over and over.  Hell just look at the Lord Protector leader board and it will pretty much be the same names in all those port battles.

I would love to see an updated tally of active players logging in one weekend again to see what the nations numbers look like now a days as it's been what almost 3 months since the patch dropped.  They should of done one a month or so ago to let folks know where the nation balance are.

Yea it only 20-25 of us that really RVR that is about 1/4 of just screeners in The brits.  The US Will figure it out one day(we hope).  They could easily take the gulf and hold it from the Brits because guess what, pirates will be around.  But if history shows us anything they will attack Pirates again and lose another port in retaliation.  The 2 largest nations The US and The brits Dont fight each other and it is sad.  If they fought each other our attention would go else where into more pvp.  

Black more or less gave them a free pass to take Gaspillia(sp) and they attacked west end.  I myself let 2 or 3 US players go because they said they were headed to Gasp to gain Host....  Hostility Did not move, lesson learned, maybe, maybe not.

26 minutes ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

You can look at the lord protector board but look at the PVP board.  I think most of them are FR, GB or US.   

I see a few PR show up every now and then.  And it is always the same 3 names, none of them are yours or JobaSet. 

2 minutes ago, Hodo said:

You can look at the lord protector board but look at the PVP board.  I think most of them are FR, GB or US.   

I see a few PR show up every now and then.  And it is always the same 3 names, none of them are yours or JobaSet. 

I was on it sat with 198 points from just bermuda Solo I don't pvp everyday.  It mean nothing

• Like 1

Just now, Hodo said:

Actually I was on it the last few days at the bottom but got knocked off.  YOU FORGET THIS IS NOT MY ONLY PIRATE CHAR.   Sir Texas Sir is my RVR heavy ship char.  I have two other pirates. One is my crafter and the other is my shallow water light ship PvP char.  Hell even my crafter got on there a while back after a failed hit on it's trader.   The thing is the main guys that you see on there a lot do solo hunting through out the day (Koltes/Palannar for the pirates).   The reason the numbers are so big for guys like KoC and others is cause they are wolf packing and letting the leader of the pack get the kills.  

Oh and right back at you....I don't think I have ever seen your name on the PvP leader board since the patch dropped that added it.  NEVER so do you even hunt any more?  Hell I haven't seen your name in the CombatNews at all.  I think all you do is just chat these days while your waiting for the other MMO game to start.  

Hell right now Dave the Spanish has the most PvP points....lol

2 minutes ago, JobaSet said:

I was on it sat with 198 points from just bermuda Solo I don't pvp everyday.  It mean nothing

That was when you all were grinding up hostility there.  I remember that.   

And how many alts do you have?  1 for every nation?

Just now, Hodo said:

That was when you all were grinding up hostility there.  I remember that.   

And how many alts do you have?  1 for every nation?

lol that was that morning we didnt grind it up until that night.

124 last count I think

1 hour ago, St0nkingByte said:

I really think GB on global just needs to consolidate every combat asset at KPR and simply take back all the regions that touch or are immediately adjacent to KPR.

I don't really know the state of internal GB politics or setups but my suggestion is that some individual GB clans need to go out and start "doing stuff" with or without the council.

Just go run up contention somewhere. Who cares if you can't win the port battle. See if the contention distracts the pirates [or whoever your favorite enemy is]. Run it up at a few places and then finish one of them off if pirates schedule a battle of their own somewhere else. Now they have 2 for the same time frame.

My suspicion is that GB is paralyzed by this council concept.

France does not operate that way. Purge said we're going to go work on Sante Fe, so we did. WO said they were going to camp pirate in MT so they did. In the end we got some Bork and WO support both materially and diplomatically and got it done. WO got a lot more French to join them. But it all started with 1 clan saying "we're doing this" and going to do it, no council approval needed.

Lead from the front, ye British clans!

1 hour ago, JobaSet said:

but right now it is more or less Pirate ver everyone else because they do not fight each other.....

This is an interesting side-effect of the Pirate strategy.

Intended Pirate strategy:
Concentrate in one area of the map. Be ready to respond to attacks there in force because nothing is all that far away from home. Home is central and also in the best part of the map.
British strategy:
Take dots everywhere. Various clans of various sizes all over the place. Homes are scattered and not convenient or strategic for the map.

Net effect:

Hunting British is a mixed bag. It's hard to say where they're working right now and if you just want to kill some Brits you can end up sailing around the butt end of nowhere for a while because they're not here right now. They're over there. At some other butt end of nowhere.

Hunting Pirates is kind of a slam dunk every time. They're always in pretty much the same area. It's a fairly big circle but action within there is guaranteed and it's also the center of the map so it's accessible to everyone. "Good access" cuts both ways.

This is not a critique. Just an observation. Each strategy turns out to have some secondary effects I would not have thought about a month ago.

1 minute ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

Actually I was on it the last few days at the bottom but got knocked off.  YOU FORGET THIS IS NOT MY ONLY PIRATE CHAR.   Sir Texas Sir is my RVR heavy ship char.  I have two other pirates. One is my crafter and the other is my shallow water light ship PvP char.  Hell even my crafter got on there a while back after a failed hit on it's trader.   The thing is the main guys that you see on there a lot do solo hunting through out the day (Koltes/Palannar for the pirates).   The reason the numbers are so big for guys like KoC and others is cause they are wolf packing and letting the leader of the pack get the kills.  

Oh and right back at you....I don't think I have ever seen your name on the PvP leader board since the patch dropped that added it.  NEVER so do you even hunt any more?  Hell I haven't seen your name in the CombatNews at all.  I think all you do is just chat these days while your waiting for the other MMO game to start.  

Hell right now Dave the Spanish has the most PvP points....lol

I actually hadnt been hunting much, Life is Feudal MMO CBT4 took up most of my time.   Last night I went out PVPing got a kill on a Navy Brig in my Snow, had 3 Lynxes run from me, and then I went back to port and to bed.  

1 minute ago, Slamz said:

I don't really know the state of internal GB politics or setups but my suggestion is that some individual GB clans need to go out and start "doing stuff" with or without the council.

Just go run up contention somewhere. Who cares if you can't win the port battle. See if the contention distracts the pirates [or whoever your favorite enemy is]. Run it up at a few places and then finish one of them off if pirates schedule a battle of their own somewhere else. Now they have 2 for the same time frame.

My suspicion is that GB is paralyzed by this council concept.

I'm going to bet the US is in the same boat.  I hear from small clans even back during PvP2 that want to fight GB or GB clans that want to attack US, but they can't cause the big clans don't allow it.  The old alliance system prevented this too.  Well we don't have that so any one can attack any other nation no matter what the majority of there nation wishes to do.  So these smaller clans need to step up and do something.  The only way they can get better is by actions.   I honestly bring up that GB and US should have fights mainly cause of the skill level of a lot of there players that never been in or hardly ever been in PvP and or RvR.  They need to get battles under there belt and with a Nation that is about equally skilled as them.  To be honest I think US has more better OW PvPers than GB.  GB has more numbers now even with the clans leaving but they have more of the Carebears PvEers.   It would prob be a very well matched up fight between them and we aren't talking about total war.  Just flip some ports, get some agro, get some PvP and have some fun.9

France does not operate that way. Purge said we're going to go work on Sante Fe, so we did. WO said they were going to camp pirate in MT so they did. In the end we got some Bork and WO support both materially and diplomatically and got it done. WO got a lot more French to join them. But it all started with 1 clan saying "we're doing this" and going to do it, no council approval needed.

Lead from the front, ye British clans!

This is an interesting side-effect of the Pirate strategy.

Intended Pirate strategy:
Concentrate in one area of the map. Be ready to respond to attacks there in force because nothing is all that far away from home. Home is central and also in the best part of the map. Not exactly our exact strategy but if you noticed we took ports almost in a spiral around our capital and slowly took them.  We built up more than one RvR fleets and enough resources to build an instant fleet. The day of West End I think I was the only one to have a Heavy Rattler.  We pumped out all those H Rattlers in one day and most of us had 2-3 slots grinded out by the port battle. I have 5 slots on mine.  We take our time, we make plans and we than take the fight. 
British strategy:
Take dots everywhere. Various clans of various sizes all over the place. Homes are scattered and not convenient or strategic for the map. They adapted for the old Conquest system but got screwed by the new Victory Mark system and we used it against them.  US did the same, both nation all ways did this on PvP2 and we used it against them.  Honestly when we where down to 2-3 ports/regions we fought the best cause we didn't have to worry about any ports really, just fighting.

Net effect:

Hunting British is a mixed bag. It's hard to say where they're working right now and if you just want to kill some Brits you can end up sailing around the butt end of nowhere for a while because they're not here right now. They're over there. At some other butt end of nowhere.

Hunting Pirates is kind of a slam dunk every time. They're always in pretty much the same area. It's a fairly big circle but action within there is guaranteed and it's also the center of the map so it's accessible to everyone. "Good access" cuts both ways.

This is not a critique. Just an observation. Each strategy turns out to have some secondary effects I would not have thought about a month ago.

As much as we butt heads at times on here going have to say I agree with a good part of this.  What French is doing right now to Pirates is exactly what we do to the other nations.  Though we take a port and use that as our jump point while ya'll use the freetowns.

1 minute ago, Hodo said:

I actually hadnt been hunting much, Life is Feudal MMO CBT4 took up most of my time.   Last night I went out PVPing got a kill on a Navy Brig in my Snow, had 3 Lynxes run from me, and then I went back to port and to bed.  

I'm about to move so I been kinda busy myself and of course I take Sundays off to spend time with my parents since they are getting up into their years now a days and it is nice to just take time off to spend with family.  Can't have all my life be about the game, but I do try to show up for Port Battles and what is needed when I can.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bach said:

So far I have to say I like most all the new changes. Pvp is working well. RvR needs a few tweaks here and there but all in all I am finding this fun and challenging.

One thing I wish wasn't happening is all the complaining by players who expected this to just be the continuation on last years PVP2.  It's just slowing us all down with useless emotional drama.

I could get into a long list of differences between pre and post wipe but I won't.  I'm just going to say that every nation is viable and has a role to play. The easiest way to get some fun going is not to worry so much about winning port battles. Just go out there and make something happen win or lose. Try NOT to do exactly what you would have done on old pvp2.  Get creative and use the new rule set.  Short of Spain I can't think of one nation out there that doesn't have huge potential and that's just because Spain has no players.

What would your strategy be if you were The King of your nation?

This may be global specific:-

Population is too low for this size map by a long way.  unless your on at US primetime there is a lot of screensaver time going on.  Close the gulf from selam/barataria west  and increase open world sail speed by another 25% IMO to make it semi viable.

PvP only works in a small area and the bulk of the map is screensaver.

RvR is broken and although the idea of port battles is nice it has a detrimental affect to the game when you can flip ports to PB in such a short time and there is very limited ways to counteract it.   For instance if someone starts grinding hostility. unless it is less than an hours sail you may as well just prep for a PB.  Fleet resetting and OP fleeting created this problem and war supplies changes hurt defence as much as hindered attacks.  Make port battles 15 v 15 may help that for this population level also since it is unlikely that you will get 30% of the online population into one spot at any time of the day.

the system needs to scale down.

As the new king of the danish I will be taking ports to establish the danes as 2nd on the scoreboard with multiple port flips with minimal numbers in ports. We will then not defend the ports and retake them after a week to display that in the current form the scoreboard is 100% gameable.   I will also diplo our way into having access to PVP without screensaver time as best i can.  During which time it will become toxic in global chats because the timezoning of PBs will be out of everyones timezones.

The dev's will spend their time avoiding the issue saying it is a global server and if they wanted to have PBs at set times they should join the EU server which actually changed because of this issue.

Edited by Fastidius

15 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

I actually respect what the French are doing right now, it's been ages since we had a few clans/nations work together properly.  Not to mention they are helping us clean house. A lot of the scrubs/mort rats they are killing are guys that jump ship from other nations.  

This is always important. Every side has its low hanging fruit. Nothing like cutting the fat. They rotate who they join so we all end up with them eventually. 

They can join France but they would be disappointed. We live in Neutral ports constantly so we often get stuck in an area for long periods of time. France is always full of action, however that action is separated by looonnggg sailing times. You might go two weeks without seeing another French clan other than your own. 

Edited by Vllad
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

We are not the largest group.  We might have the largest RvR/PvP force on the game,

You won the last 2 rounds so this is what follows .Grow to big and you are beaten down law of the game. 

1 hour ago, Fastidius said:

This may be global specific:-

Population is too low for this size map by a long way.  unless your on at US primetime there is a lot of screensaver time going on.  Close the gulf from selam/barataria west  and increase open world sail speed by another 25% IMO to make it semi viable.

PvP only works in a small area and the bulk of the map is screensaver.

RvR is broken and although the idea of port battles is nice it has a detrimental affect to the game when you can flip ports to PB in such a short time and there is very limited ways to counteract it.   For instance if someone starts grinding hostility. unless it is less than an hours sail you may as well just prep for a PB.  Fleet resetting and OP fleeting created this problem and war supplies changes hurt defence as much as hindered attacks.  Make port battles 15 v 15 may help that for this population level also since it is unlikely that you will get 30% of the online population into one spot at any time of the day.

the system needs to scale down.

I think you are spot on of the nature of the problem. We really are not at "global" population server. its more a USA zone server.   Best thing we could do to try to remedy that is probably adjust for the Aussie/Asia players by concentrating them into the more dense packed area of the map. Essentially the center.  Somehow we need to get the players in these time zones closer together and on opposing teams so they can have some fun.  Currently that would be to get them near the center of the map. Probably divided up on the pirate/Brit teams. Or maybe even a USA contingent vs a pirate contingent.

I actually enjoy the long sails.  The feeling of being alone (usually!) in a vast sea.  Watching the horizon for two hours, relief when a concealing storm blows through, and the first sight of land on the horizon.  We all know where most of the players hang out doing their economy and grinding.  It's nice to have quiet corners of the map where you're studying the trees and wondering if anyone has been here in a month.

23 minutes ago, Barbancourt (rownd) said:

I actually enjoy the long sails.  The feeling of being alone (usually!) in a vast sea.  Watching the horizon for two hours, relief when a concealing storm blows through, and the first sight of land on the horizon.  We all know where most of the players hang out doing their economy and grinding.  It's nice to have quiet corners of the map where you're studying the trees and wondering if anyone has been here in a month.

Not sure that you are the majority since many people leave the game or cannot put in those hours of sailing to get a combat option.

Edited by Fastidius

15 hours ago, Sir Texas Sir said:

As much as we butt heads at times on here going have to say I agree with a good part of this.  What French is doing right now to Pirates is exactly what we do to the other nations.  Though we take a port and use that as our jump point while ya'll use the freetowns.

I'm about to move so I been kinda busy myself and of course I take Sundays off to spend time with my parents since they are getting up into their years now a days and it is nice to just take time off to spend with family.  Can't have all my life be about the game, but I do try to show up for Port Battles and what is needed when I can.

It is kind of funny to see the same names that used to hang out in Charleston or KPR doing the SAME THING in Mortimer.   You would think they would learn.   

Last night was the first time in 2 weeks I had been to KPR, I honestly dont see the draw to hang around the capital.  

16 hours ago, Fastidius said:

Not sure that you are the majority since many people leave the game or cannot put in those hours of sailing to get a combat option.

The difference may be that I'm not putting in hours of sail to get a "combat option".  The long sails are an important part of the Open World experience, and a purpose in and of themselves.

On 7/31/2017 at 5:33 PM, JobaSet said:

Yea it only 20-25 of us that really RVR that is about 1/4 of just screeners in The brits.  The US Will figure it out one day(we hope).  They could easily take the gulf and hold it from the Brits because guess what, pirates will be around.  But if history shows us anything they will attack Pirates again and lose another port in retaliation.  The 2 largest nations The US and The brits Dont fight each other and it is sad.  If they fought each other our attention would go else where into more pvp.  

Black more or less gave them a free pass to take Gaspillia(sp) and they attacked west end.  I myself let 2 or 3 US players go because they said they were headed to Gasp to gain Host....  Hostility Did not move, lesson learned, maybe, maybe not.

lol the US and Brits were fighting each other and you called us bullies.  Now we're supposed to be fighting.  Make up your minds.

Then you went and took Savannah and the US asked for a deal and help.  BLACK clan is the only reason we still aren't fighting now.  I hope you realize that.  I did my best to keep the fights going, but no you felt the need to bully them for flipping west end. 

Edited by Christendom