Game-Labs Forum

[H] Brace Function. How to use it…?

Norfolk nChance

Question

5 answers to this question

when you use Brace (H by default in the controls settings), it takes about 10 seconds for your crew to prepare. Once the 10 seconds are over, your crew is much more protected, the probability of them dying through a rake (or also explosions) or just crew damage in general is much lower.
While your crew is bracing, you have no control over the rudder, nor can you manual sail or shoot the cannons, as your crew is hiding and not working on the tasks they are supposed to.
hqdefault.jpg

When the danger is over, you can press the Brace button again, so your crew goes back to work. I believe Brace has a cooldown of 5 minutes, not too sure on that though.
I dont really use it too often, mainly because I mostly sail small frigate ships anyway.

• Like 3

What does brace do, exactly. Does it raise crew damage resistance? Does it run into the cap? What's the cap anyways? If I run Service History and Mahogony Planking, am I at the cap with those 30% already? If so, does Bracing actually do anything when I use it?

• Like 1

@Quineloe

Great question. For the brief period, the crew is "BRACING" they are not doing anything else. The cap issue at first look it runs outside the normal stacking mechanic so would think it breaches. However, when where and why would you use [H] BRACE? 

Well when the preverbal has hit the fan. So, the tank would be lower. My POST “Norfolk’s Hard Lesson” I get STERN raked and lose 200 CREW in a HEAVY Tanked Indef, but I had no STERN and boarding Prep was under way. I would have had plenty of time to [H] BRACE and would have probably won me the fight.

To test the buffer breach is the forced explosion from another player next to you. Usually the BRACE is launched late so the ship is damaged first (less tank), if you launched and in BRACE before the explosion that will show if its outside the Cap because the BOAT would be wrecked while you’d have lost minimal CREW. Make sense?

Or I could go into my STEAM apps folder and start breaking code to find it…

So, I don’t know…

Norfolk