Game-Labs Forum

Speed Meta and today's Hotfix

5 hours ago, Prater said:

I personally like optimized ballast as a skill, but the others don't really make sense, except maybe art of proper cargo distribution, but that wouldn't be for warships but merchants.  I think copper plating should be more available.  Make it craftable again.  I like that there are multiple modules, skills, etc, it adds customization.  I don't know if we should remove them or not.  I see your point and I've held that point in the past, but I've come to like having to balance wood, skills, modules, guns, and hold weight to get the speeds I want.

As to whether today's changes are good or bad, I'd have to play a bit to know first.

Why wouldn't Proper Cargo handling be for warships? If anything it would be even more important as they say at sea for Months without docking and have to redistribute Cargo(food and Water) as it is used to get best trim on the ship.. ..  After a battle they then have to redo everything again based on Shot and powder and repairs made and used....  

But then I still have serious issues with speed loss for Carrying guns and cargo... It should not effect Speed.. it should effect Acceleration and deceleration . These ships were built to go their best speeds when loaded fro war.. That means fully loaded...  Design them in game for what the MAX Speed that ship should ever go with ALL the best Mods and Normal Gun load and full cargo....

You have a point about Art of Cargo.  But, If cutting loose guns, dumping cargo, water, supplies, does nothing, why did they do those things to increase their speed?  Also, why were heavier guns often removed, lighter guns put in, and speed and seaworthiness increased?

Edited by Prater
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, z4ys said:

to be honest nothing has changed. We are just all the same way slower as before and we need more sailing crew thats all. now the meta isnt 15kn it is 14kn.

A change would be to allow just 1 speed mod or to ditch them all and make crafting count more.

Decisions to make.. With the addition of more crew needed to man the sails properly due to many of the mods/Skills now. an extra 20% or more crew to sails cn mean your now firing 10-25% slower in combat unless your switching fact nd forth which has it's own issues

8 hours ago, deltonos said:

90 minutes of pseudo battle for nothing

Wow, who have you been fighting.

That has not been my experience at all.

Of course more people do escape in general these days. I find fights to be less bloody in the sense that a 6v6 that used to end up with all people on one side sunk more often ends with 2-3 sunk and the rest escaping but I actually like that too. In a game where ships are 1 durability I actually think this is what we want. Sinking a ship is not easy. You can screw up and watch them sail off just when you thought you had em.

But let's not exaggerate. Plenty of people are still getting sunk (and captured) out there. Use the chain shot, Luke.

4 hours ago, Prater said:

You have a point about Art of Cargo.  But, If cutting loose guns, dumping cargo, water, supplies, does nothing, why did they do those things to increase their speed?  Also, why were heavier guns often removed, lighter guns put in, and speed and seaworthiness increased?

Wasn't just about speed.. It was about Handling.. Now you dump all your guns you will be a bit faster.. But you will also handle differently... There is a reason Cargo ships would load up on Ballast Stones when they were running empty or nearly so.. they sailed better with the weight in them...

59 minutes ago, Mrgoldstein said:

Why not change the base speed of the ships a bit? Rennie should be the fastest but weak, surprise also fast base  but also pretty weak..so you want a fast ship you can but its weak and less firepower than the heavier ships..

This is already how it is. Stack a surprise against a frigate and see what happens in a shot for shot encounter. Surprises are good for their sailing profile and 4 lazer beam stern chasers. Otherwise they are not tanky or hard hitters. 

On 7/22/2017 at 8:17 PM, Malachy said:

Surprise can't handle a basic frigate. Every one I've fought has either ran or sank. More sink now it seems

The frigate is a 18lb 38 gun frigate.  The Surprise is a 9lb 38 gun frigate.

On 7/21/2017 at 10:01 PM, CaptVonGunn said:

Wasn't just about speed.. It was about Handling.. Now you dump all your guns you will be a bit faster.. But you will also handle differently... There is a reason Cargo ships would load up on Ballast Stones when they were running empty or nearly so.. they sailed better with the weight in them...

The ships are already presumed to have provisions, ammo, ballast.

Edited by Prater

We get to choose our guns.  Different guns have different weight.  It's not basically part of that.  And guns don't take up that much weight.  Not sure I see the big deal.

Edited by Prater

Just now, Prater said:

We get to choose our guns.  Different guns have different weight.  It's not basically part of that.  Guns don't take up that much weight.

Right but the standard guns should be included in teh weight then CUstomied load adjust that up or down.. they should not effecdt cargo

I think the current nerf is ok as long as its done its purpose - removal of maximum speed cap. Else there was no point to have a nerf in the first place.

Reno 13.69 + 22% max speed upgrades = 16.7kn max possible - ½ of the hull filled with repairs for distant solo hunting and we have a ship that does about 15.5kn speed. That is not OP by any means taking into account that this ship has nothing else. Why not remove speed cap and revive Renommee with this extra 0.5kn speed?

Also crew penalties are too heavy. Combined its 40% extra crew! This is just unrealistic. Magical Bow Figure needs 5 extra crew members doing exactly what? Polishing it?
Why Studding sails require extra crew? Whoever sailed on tall ships would know that studs are operated by the same crew at the same time as the main sails.
I think Bow Figure needs to have crew penalty removed. Stays and Studs have crew penalty reduced to 5% (currently 10%).
I honestly don't know what Crooked and Bovenwind refits are and why one of them requires extra crew and the other not, but it also needs to be reduced to 5% crew penalty (currently 10%).

Then all those speed mods can stay. It allows to go dedicated speed setups for those who wants it. Penalty is still heavy, but allows to still run it. Just.

More mods = more variants and less rock paper scissors setups

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

The 14.9 was reached in angles that were not there before due to peak keeping linear due to top limit.

This could be tested easy with the Pickle, Renomee and others.

P.S. - Not many ships did, back in the day, reach 13 knots let alone 14 :) ( is a lot of difference when you are using wind alone )