Game-Labs Forum

[8] Survival cool down time Question

Norfolk nChance

Question

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1084250417

Could someone explain the [8] Survival cool down times please? 

The above shot shows 47/47 in the [8] area. It started at 47/47 at just under the hour mark with now the time showing 44min. Yes taken damage but crew ok but nothing critical. It just never cooled down. I'm guessing only, is it because the STERN was totally damaged ie zero planking?

7 answers to this question

My guess is that is caused by your lack of structure. It seems that once you start getting into structure damage, you develop permanent leaks (like when you used to lose your bow HP in the old damage model). Not to mention, you are rather low on side HP on the starboard side. I don't recall ever having leaks because of the stern being shot out, but maybe that is something new?  

Anyways, what I do whenever my crew goes into survival but isn't fighting fires or standard leaks, is turn off survival to maximize my reload and sailing crews. Once I notice a bit of water in the bilge, I re-assign crew to survival until the water is pumped out and then move them back to gunnery and sailing.

I suppose a developer or someone with more than my anecdotal evidence could confirm if my above suspicions are correct or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Willis PVP2

as general rule on thumb do you sail [8] greyed out until actually needed? 

and @Otto Kohl thanks for the quick replies

always turned on so that if I need crew to manage a leak or something they will go into it.  This will also prevent you from going into an instant fireshock if you get caught on fire and it's in a bad spot.  Remember still that fires and hits can almost instantly blow you up if it's close to the Magazine.     The only time I toggle it off is if 'm trying to stroke the fire for a BOOM ship.   Other wise if you have no damage to your structure or bow/stern than there is no reason for crew to be in there.

It does look like you had repair recently so how bad was the damage to your ship before repair?  In the old days you knew that if you blew out some one bow that it would cause a leak but that was patched out and it still cause the crew to be tied up in survival so it was a means to slow some ones crewmanagement down.

• Like 1

@Havelock

this was my thought as well (bug) but didn't want to waste the Dev's time when it was my fault anyway. I don't whine or moan but the ship is stable no leaks. Like Otto and Willis point out that structure is under half strength and no stern. 

I think I need to look up STRUCTURE integrity with stern loss. Oh I was told with STERN loss the reason no flooding is the ships movement pushing forward creating the bow wave means water is pushed out backward. I'll put the damn thing in IRONs and try reversing see if I sink... 

@admin love the game you evil genius.... Mrs nChance wants a Divorce am sending you the bill.... o7

12 hours ago, Norfolk nChance said:

@Willis PVP2

as general rule on thumb do you sail [8] greyed out until actually needed? 

No, I leave it on throughout most of the fight, only when I end up in a situation like yours (low structure or loss of bow HP resulting in a slow leak) do I bother toggling it off and on as needed. 

I learned that trick when I was spending a lot of time dueling in first rates, I would often lose my bow HP because the silly captains would bow and stern rake me while I dismantled their rigging. In this case, I would often have 40-60 crew wanting to be in survival all the time to keep the water out. To me, they are wasting valuable reload or sail-handling being there, so I turn survival off. When I got around 10-20% water showing in the bilge, I'd re-assign crew to survival for a minute or two to get the water out and then send them back to gunnery.

You *can* sail around with survival turned off, but you have to be mindful of fires and leaks at all times. If you forget, you may find yourself with a large barbecue on the ship or 50 leaks on one side sinking you (although, unless you have all the pump mods and survival mods, and turn that side upwind, you are going to sink with 50 leaks no matter what). That being said, I've never "accidentally" lost a ship that way. I usually notice the fire-bell right away and I always keep an eye out for leaks (I have only been one-shotted once, and after that, I learned to depower very quickly).

• Like 1