Game-Labs Forum

Suggested Change to the Pirate Nation

I have been rather disappointed with the way the pirate nation has turned out (from the development side) and I know that I am not that the only one. It doesn't make sense that pirates should be waging large-scale port battles against entire nations because it is not historically accurate at all. Not to mention, most pirate players I talk to are primarily PvP-oriented. So why not give the non-RvR players an option in the game?

Currently, the only way the pirate nation differs from other nations is that pirates are allowed to attack each other (which is not historically accurate, nor do any players engage in this activity on the EU server. But that's for another discussion). Shouldn't pirates be more differentiated than the rest of the nations? Here are a few changes that I think would help cater to the players wanting a "pirate life" in the game:

1) Take away RvR capabilities and controlled territories. 

2) Give us Treasure Island (Kidd's Harbour) to base our operations, build ships, and mine limited resources.

3) Let us teleport to free town outposts 

4) Disable the ability to build buildings in free towns

5) Let us place contracts in enemy county capitals.

6) Disable OW teleport to friendly port

With these changes, the pirates could teleport to strategic positions on the map, but be forced to smuggle/plunder any rare resources back to Kidd's Harbour. This provides perks for PvP but also provides just as many disadvantages. Not only would an update like this cater to the PvP-focused players in the game, it would get rid of all the pesky RvR players polluting the pirate nation (in-turn, making the other nations stronger). This isn't too much different than what the devs originally announced pre-wipe (Re: outlaws), just a little more balanced. I understand the Unity transfer is top priority, but I would hope that a change like this is high on the list.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Capn Rocko said:

I have been rather disappointed with the way the pirate nation has turned out (from the development side) and I know that I am not that the only one. It doesn't make sense that pirates should be waging large-scale port battles against entire nations because it is not historically accurate at all. Not to mention, most pirate players I talk to are primarily PvP-oriented. So why not give the non-RvR players an option in the game?

Currently, the only way the pirate nation differs from other nations is that pirates are allowed to attack each other (which is not historically accurate, nor do any players engage in this activity on the EU server. But that's for another discussion). Shouldn't pirates be more differentiated than the rest of the nations? Here are a few changes that I think would help cater to the players wanting a "pirate life" in the game:

2) Give us Treasure Island (Kidd's Harbour) to base our operations, build ships, and mine limited resources.

With these changes, the pirates could teleport to strategic positions on the map, but be forced to smuggle/plunder any rare resources back to Kidd's Harbour. This provides perks for PvP but also provides just as many disadvantages. Not only would an update like this cater to the PvP-focused players in the game, it would get rid of all the pesky RvR players polluting the pirate nation (in-turn, making the other nations stronger). This isn't too much different than what the devs originally announced pre-wipe (Re: outlaws), just a little more balanced. I understand the Unity transfer is top priority, but I would hope that a change like this is high on the list.

I will tell you the secret. There are no pirates in this game. There is a fictional nation with a black flag that is really no different to other nations. Us being called Pirates is pure coincidence :) 

Edited by koltes
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, monk33y said:

Give pirates raiding!!!! 

You can already go and raid a nations waters and go for their players.

Or do you want those raids versus AI described by admin some while ago?

The game lets you play as a proper pirate IF YOU WANT TO already. Just need to actually play the game. PvE raids will become boring pretty fast, while raiding a nations waters still hasnt become boring to me after 4k+ hours of playing the game.

Please dont allow teleport to freeport without limitations.

• Like 3

As a national through and through, my opinion here has limited weight. But as I see it, what pirates really need is *some* access to resources/materials without being dependent on owning ports. I.e piggybacking on national ports (without having to use alts). And access to set up detached bases/hideouts inside or in close proximity to their hunting grounds. They would work like freeports - so you couldn't teleport to or from there, but you could store loot and ships (up to 3rd rate), trade with fellow pirates using the same hideout, have a shipyard and craft there.

Then conquest wouldn't have to be removed from pirates. They could choose to group up and take part in politics and conquest, or not. Nations could go together (or alone) to "one-port" pirates without affecting real pirate gameplay much or driving players from the game, and pirates could choose to do conquest or not.

We all need some form of raids to be implemented. Not just pirates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

must say i agree with all 6 of the changes work on the pirates give pirates a ship (Queen Anne's Revenge)  that can only be bought by pirates just like the sol's for the nations have

53 minutes ago, Liquicity said:

The game lets you play as a proper pirate IF YOU WANT TO already.

Correct. But still we can count a mere dozen across servers.

In truth players in Pirates, 99% of them, do not want to be Pirate. They want to be on top, and if things get rough ( like it happened with UN vs pirates a while ago ) they jump wagon really fast.

• Like 1

If the masses (nationals) want to turn the servers into a carebear fest without pirates getting in the way of the friendly rvr utopia! Give us Mt and kids, remove our need to capture regions but introduce raiding as pirate exclusive. If we need resources we pve, with pvp still available!

Give pirates freeport teleport with a 12 hr Cooldown.

Interesting how the nationals Slag off pirates past actions about jumping nation when liqu I believe you were British!!

As a pirate I care nothing of rvr. But need resources to build supplys or ships.

Come on get the pirate trolling out if your system, you bitter nationals :ph34r:

One of the best OW runs was having the united nations sworn to end pyracy.

The amount of combat while in pirates was superb. ( still they couldn't as proper pyracy players simply went off and operated from havens. Very proper pirate play )

The others ? Majority jumped ship like the rats they are.

1 hour ago, monk33y said:

Interesting how the nationals Slag off pirates past actions about jumping nation when liqu I believe you were British!!

I was british indeed but since the wipe it doesnt fit my playstyle anymore, would have to afk sail 3h a day if i wanted to play as I used to before (being a brit doesnt automatically mean you're a greenzone camper ;) ) . Danes just have way better outpost opportunities for OW pvp across the map.

Oh and I dont really care what flag Im flying as long as I get good pvp and action.

15 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

Agree

15 hours ago, Capn Rocko said:

Ok I guess

Yes Please

You can't do that now anyway

Would help

Doesn't exist now... Tow to Port sends you to Closest Deep Water Port no matter if friendly or not

• Like 1

On 7/21/2017 at 1:35 AM, koltes said:

I will tell you the secret. There are no pirates in this game. There is a fictional nation with a black flag that is really no different to other nations. Us being called Pirates is pure coincidence :) 

On 7/21/2017 at 3:49 AM, Captain Lust said:

Everyone wants this but devs are all out of hello kittys to give about pirates...

Two of the truest statements made about the "pirate" nation in game.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Quineloe said:

What's the goal for pirates to pursue beyond just the next kill when they don't have RVR?

Pirates should not be a nation.  Should not have a nation chat, should not be able to control ports or take ports, should be limited to free ports, shipyards shouldnt be able to built in any free port bigger than level 1 by any one.  (including nationals).

Pirates shouldnt have missions.  If you want to make money.. learn to capture cargo, you are a pirate. 

I think that pirates should not be a nation but the need to be unique and meant for players that want to make a name for himself with raiding the current kill score is a good start might even have some form of bounty system in play so day by day the get more $ for their heads depending on how well the do in harassing nations.

If the want to play RvR its simple give them the forged papers so the can pick a nation to play with.

The option here to have great pirate system is open and a lot of good ideas that are on this forums its just a question what the devs want to do with there game.

2 hours ago, Quineloe said:

What's the goal for pirates to pursue beyond just the next kill when they don't have RVR?

What every pirate was after the big score.. Pirates need a separate Leader Board.. Listing total Value of Captures... BUt to let us properly Pirate we would also need the Following two adds to the game..

The Ability to Return a ship to it's captain after we capture it/they Surrender after we have taken what we want from it...

The Ability to trade Gold in a Battle Instance so Players could pay a Ransom to be let go... Once the Ransom is paid they battle ends and both spawn into open world

These are things Pirates did.. They sank very few ships.. they either took them as prizes or just took the Gold, Silver easily moved stuff and let the Ship and it's 40 tons of grain sail away.

Edited by CaptVonGunn

4 minutes ago, CaptVonGunn said:

What every pirate was after the big score.. Pirates need a separate Leader Board.. Listing total Value of Captures..

Loot per crewman.

A 60 crew schooner that hits a 500k cargo is definitely more successful than a 240 crew cruise that hits the same mark.

Sounds good :)

2 hours ago, The Red Duke said:

Loot per crewman.

A 60 crew schooner that hits a 500k cargo is definitely more successful than a 240 crew cruise that hits the same mark.

Sounds good :)

Nice add.... That is real Bragging rights.. most money earned doing Pirate s***