Game-Labs Forum

Ship knowledge grinding for higher rate ships

The grinding for high rated ships takes entirely to long. Specifically it takes as more time to get 5 ship knowledge slots on a single first rate than it does to get max crew rank. When you consider the fact that all XP counts towards player rank while only battle xp counts for ship knowledge. 

Here is one example of a bucentaure 2nd rate just to get it to 4 ship knowledge slots.

Assumption: you get 1500 battle xp per mission on average. Which is not likely for most people. 

Assumption: Average time per fleet mission 25 minutes. 

Xp required for 4th ship knowledge slot on a buc. 88,350

88,350 divided by 1500 = 58.9 missions x 25 minute= 1472.5 minutes divided by 60 = 24.5 hours of constant grinding, not counting sailing time or finding a partner. Just to get the 4th ship knowledge slot. 

Please consider reducing this time sink by at least half. After grinding 3 ships, Buc, Victory and Locean up multiple slots. I feel like nothing has been achieved and the game is getting incredibly repetitive. Especially when solo missions are even worse because you get 1 ship worth 700 xp at best. Even if you kill it in under 10 minutes. It still takes longer to level. 

Maybe you won't need 5 slots on all those line ships to do other things in the game. Do you think all your opponents are spending the required 72 hours to do it?

1 minute ago, Farrago said:

Maybe you won't need 5 slots on all those line ships to do other things in the game. Do you think all your opponents are spending the required 72 hours to do it?

Typically you need a minimum of 3 to max out a ship in a particular way. Additionally the last 2 equate to about 10-15% extra damage output or extra insurance for things like boarding. 

They really need it to where

1slot = linked to ship class size: Small (6-7), Medium (5-4) and Rated (1-3)

2slot = linked to actual ship rating 7,6,5,4,3,2,1

3-5slot is actual XP earned on that particular ship. 

Perhaps even let you earn redundant XP while filling in the first 3 slots

Well, this kind of content was good 15 years ago but I expect more from a game designer in 2017.Sorry, it's nothing else just massive grind, absolutely pointless. If I want to unlock a reno for solo-play, a Connie for group play,  Agamemnon for 4rt PB and a first rate for 1st rate PB I just guess but if it takes 500+ mission.It's mean 100+ hours pointless grind.Sorry, I can not and I do not wish to do it.At least I would expect a different path to unlock this slots.I don't mind its gold or combat mark just don't force me to do missions.Off course best option for me if they remove this feature.Also, they're throwing out (real)skill based PVP on the window. I think put together a good pvp team is starting in the shipyard but I lost ability to design my ship because I can not finish it without upgrades.So my ship quality will be decided by time and sooner or later I have to decide I can or can not handel this huge disadvantage.

I know OP post was higher level ship but this feature is destroying my gameplay (and I don't think I'm alone)  an evrey level.