Game-Labs Forum

Whydah Galley (Pictures/plan)

Whydah Gally (commonly known simply as Whydah or Whidah,), pronounced "wi-duh", was a fully rigged galley ship that was originally built as a passenger, cargo, and slave ship, owned by Lawrence (Laurins) Prince. On the return leg of its maiden voyage of the triangular trade, it began a new role in the Golden Age of Piracy, when it was captured by the pirate Captain Samuel "Black Sam" Bellamy, and was refitted as his flagship. She was armed with 28 guns, and could sail at a top speed of 13 Knots!

Bellamy sailed the Whydah up the coast of Colonial America, capturing ships as he went. On April 26, 1717, the Whydah was caught in a violent storm and wrecked. Only two of Bellamy's crew survived, along with seven others who were on a sloop captured by Bellamy earlier that day. Six of the nine survivors were hanged, two who had been forced into piracy were freed, and one Indian crewman was sold into slavery.

Whydah and her treasure eluded discovery for over 260 years until 1984, when the wreck was found – buried between 10 and 50 feet of sand, under water depths of 16 to 30 feet deep, spread four miles parallel to the Cape's coast. With the discovery of the ship's bell in 1985 and a small brass placard in 2013, both inscribed with the ship's name and maiden voyage date, Whydah is the only fully authenticated Golden Age pirate shipwreck ever.

Dimensions  

Tons burthen: 300 tons 
Length: 110 ft (34 m)
Propulsion: Sail & oar
Sail plan: fully rigged, 3 masts
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 150 men at launch; went down with 145 men & 1 boy (incl. 6 prisoners)
Armament:

AT LAUNCH: 18 Active Guns PIRATE UPGRADE: 28 Active Guns

Here is a drawing of the Whydah.

91c9a1c29ad8a00498f9d9c4a8f594d3.gif.f6a7cbd6344ed75e8d16e24fd6a52d45.gif

A scale model of Whydah.

Whydah-Gally-wooden-tall-ship-model.jpg.f099513864b383da8dfc5c211ebb7680.jpg

Another scale model of Whydah, with a different paint scheme.

whydah-wooden-tall-model-ships-002_php.jpg.20bf5a0cb953f10acf348f4f03f01000.jpgwhydah-wooden-tall-model-ships-003_php.jpg.c27eacd6dcc7cb7f41b7b4bcd76f9db1.jpgwhydah-wooden-tall-model-ships-009_php.jpg.b3e8e00260292cecb25fa322efb3f177.jpg

I think that Naval Action should have at least one Pirate Ship in the game. She is fast, at 13 Knots, has good cargo carrying capabilities, and is sufficiently armed, with 28 guns. In other words, she is the perfect Pirate Ship, or a perfect trade ship. This is THE best documented Pirate Ship, and therefore a good contender for a Pirate Ship in game. I know the Le Gros Ventre, and Indiaman are similar to this ship, and since the Whydah would probably be in the trading ship category, it is really up to the community to decide whether to upvote this ship or not. I think she could be a nice addition, tell me in the comments what you guys think.

• Like 6

7 hours ago, Niagara_1812 said:

I think that Naval Action should have at least one Pirate Ship in the game. She is fast, at 13 Knots, has good cargo carrying capabilities, and is sufficiently armed, with 28 guns. In other words, she is the perfect Pirate Ship, or a perfect trade ship. This is THE best documented Pirate Ship, and therefore a good contender for a Pirate Ship in game. I know the Le Gros Ventre, and Indiaman are similar to this ship, and since the Whydah would probably be in the trading ship category, it is really up to the community to decide whether to upvote this ship or not. I think she could be a nice addition, tell me in the comments what you guys think.

Your title says plan though...where are the plans?  No plans, no ship!

• Like 2