Game-Labs Forum

Glad to have finally found this great game

Hi,

I am rather surprised it's taken me so long to find this game. It's bloody fantastic!

As you can see I'm a bit of a fanboy of the period.

That being said, some theoretical knowledge doesn't seem to stop me being repeatedly newbishly battered to driftwood by the AI in the basic cutter.

Hopefully I'll get it together enough eventually to get clanable and get into some larger scale action. Thank God for youtube idiots guides.

Until then, see you on the high seas!

"A bloody war or a sickly season"

IMG_1535.jpg

• Like 13

Maybe until you get used to combat, put 12lb carronades on your cutter and place your ship alongside that of the enemy and batter them into submission.  Don't forget to try and rake them a few times.  If you are trying the ranged game against AI when you first begin, it will take a while to win because you will have to get used to gunnery and that can take a bit to learn, whereas the ai are often times experts at it.

• Like 1

Thank you chaps!

Reorx - All the paperback novels are pretty much the whole Patrick O'Brian series (Master and Commander &c. &c. ...).

Thank you for the advice; after all "No captain can do much wrong who lays his ship alongside that of the enemy". I will have to check out how to swap the guns out. That being said my range and bearing game must be shaping up as I have scored my first victory over the AI this evening on a solo mission vs a pirate brig. At various points I was both leaking and on fire but limped over the finish line modestly charred and shattered!

8 hours ago, Toad King said:

its a great game with lots of promise. what server and nation did you go with?

So far, with a stunning lack of imagination; British, because I am, and EU PvP because best ping. (Though all are <100)

Not chauvinistic about it though, and would be happy to consider alternatives for the sake of balance before I get to too invested in the character I've created. 

3 hours ago, Powderhorn said:

You have some books to add to your collection ;)

IMG_20170711_234702.jpg

A tip of the hat to your fine collection. Your bookshelf may benefit from some diagonal bracing if not to warp under it's broadside weight of ink!

Edited by Clubhaul
Sp. (ed)

16 hours ago, Reorx Redbeard said:

You should read the "six frigates" the story of the uss constitution and its sister ships

I am proud to say that I own it! It's quite excellent, an instrumental part of my senior thesis.