Game-Labs Forum

monk33y

In what was perhaps the largest array Hercs in a PB yet on the server, the US had a fight with the Brits tonight at Harbor Island.  Resulted in a Brit weenie roast in and outside the port.  Unfortunately we capped all 3 circles again and ended the battle way too quickly and I think our screeners prevented some of their fleet in.

Thanks for coming out boys!

US Caller - @Sir Texas Sir

Dunno about the Brits

F4CE8FC40C40BD3980CB6D27D3C5C9B16AB28AF7

Edited by Christendom
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, OneEyedSnake said:

sounds like you guys need to do another one. my popcorn is well salted with this convo. im lovin it 

There was another one after the one we were discussing, however 2 vs 2 - so doesn't count :) Video below:

Sorry for sound :) 

btw, it's best to watch at 1.5 speed.

Edited by vazco
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, vazco said:

There was another one after the one we were discussing, however 2 vs 2 - so doesn't count :) Video below:

Sorry for sound :) 

btw, it's best to watch at 1.5 speed.

i like the hachi escape 🤣

The Dastardly French thought they could catch the US unawares this morning while in beds or at our Mother's Day brunch.  They double flipped Walker's Cay and La Desconocita on us.  The no respect for brunch morning flippers were wrong. 

La Desconocita Battle - A good bunch were screened out and sunk by US and our Swede buddies.

3255832712700F1588260C44A2F25CA9B14F11B4

Walker's Cay - Again the swedes helped out with some good screening and then we wrecked face inside the battle.  France lost 2 Hercs and we recovered a Naval Clock, which will be used to fund the war effort in the gulf.  Our 2 losses were to a Herc getting blown up.  

1F76EFA47B1AB4D5AFCEE287B93F94FCB9A63554

Swedes doing work!

C97B7213F2C1861D30D037892EA4663EE43A1A73

Sneaky attempt there Frenchies, but our desire to sink you with our Hercs was greater than having omelettes du fromage with our mothers!

GG to all who showed up.  See you nice and late this week!

Edited by Christendom

A tale of seafaring shenanigans, naval combat, and some brave skippers...

There we were, Mal Function and I, a light (Mahogany/Bermuda Cedar) Bellona and an Endymion, sailing to the patrol zone at Aves. We spotted a British squadron of two ships, a Santisima and Trincomalee returning to Aves. We maneuvered to engage and simultaneously signaled to our friends in harbor to assist us. This is a breakdown of the battle that ensued.

Shaky Beginnings:

Being the closest ship to the Santisima at the start of the battle, my driftwood Bellona was destined to take some damage. I managed to carefully avoid the worst of the Santisima's opening broadsides and positioned myself to stern rake. Shortly after the battle started, we were reinforced with an Indefatigable (unfortunately, the ship was not supplied with repairs and only equipped medium cannons), Captain Teutonic; and an Endymion, Captain Coraline Vodka.

After opening the stern armor, I was able to make a pass with grape and incapacitate 180 of the brave souls aboard that first rate. By this time, my sails had been shredded and my ship was fairly damaged. I ordered my crew to patch the hull and signalled the frigates to move in to chain and grape the fleeing enemy.

The Chase:

Captain Ghostwork, aboard the Santisima, showed great skill in placing his chainshot into our fleet. Together with his friend Swakara in the Trincomalee, they managed to maintain their distance for a considerable length of time. Eventually my crew managed to repair the hull and patch the sails well enough to move my rotten old Bellona back into the fight. Meanwhile, our frigates had managed to rake a significant amount of crew off of the Santisima and damage the rigging and hull of the Trincomalee. Unfortunately, Mal Function's foretopmast went by the board, having been shot away at the cap by a shot from the stern chasers of Ghostwork's Santisima.

Closing In:

With my ship repaired, I moved back into the fight. I expended the last of my chainshot taking the sails of the Santisima down to 68%. With assistance from Coraline Vodka, I attempted to push the Santisima into the wind to board him. Captain Ghostwork expertly handled his ship and avoided a boarding engagement. He was also able to repair his sails again and gain some distance on us. Needless to say, we were discouraged. 

A Risky Maneuver:

My crew once again climbed the rigging and repaired our sails. Mal Function and I moved in, determined to take that first rate's mainmast. Meanwhile, our other two frigates engaged the Trincomalee, inflicting heavy damage. Taking a risk, I decided to maneuver alongside the Santisima. My gunners trained their double-charged cannons on the mainmast while Mal Function's gunners did the same. The Santisima's broadsides were devastating to the ancient timbers of my Bellona. Despite taking heavy damage, we stayed alongside the enemy. At last, the very last shot of double charge aboard my ship caused the Santisima's mainmast to fall by the board. The Santisima was ours for the taking!

It Worked:

My crew threw down their slow matches and ramrods, and took up their boarding grapples and weapons. With the Santisima's boarding well in hand, our two Endymions fired grape into the stern of the first rate and continued chasing the heavily damaged Trincomalee. Teutonic stayed behind to claim some repairs from the loot. Just minutes after the capture and scuttling of the Santisima, the Trincomalee slipped beneath the waves.

6D3153106CD3D8169D88345592471EBBA16B9BAE

...Ok, thats enough of the roleplaying (I'm not very good at it anyways). :lol:

It was a fun fight. We had the BR advantage, but they had the firepower and some tougher ships (my Bellona was an old speed build: mahog/cedar, and the Indefatigable had medium cannons and no repairs). The British players fought well. That Santisima's sail repairing ability was simply astounding. Also, those big carronades with chainshot HURT! 

o7 and thanks to all who participated.

• Like 6

George Town PB, winner was Great Britain.

Battle started near the western fort, which was destroyed by @FrostZone, who also managed to destroy all other fortifactions. @BABAY was the first ship to sink in the initial

engagement due to being isolated. What followed was a period of Russian fleet kiting and regrouping with their late joiners.

In the following brawl @Gregory Rainsborough pulled an unfortunate boarding, which he won,

but he lost all of his starboard armor and structure to a Russian L'Ocean sitting next to him  (@HachiRoku he did it again :D)

Atfer this boarding, the battle was spread out a bit and @Roadkill lost his ship when he got cut off.

@Felix Victor could finish the crippled victim of Gregory later in another boarding when the battle was pushed close to the shore at the C circle

BTu3kkoh.jpg

(full res picture: https://imgur.com/a/0mUACJz)

A part of the British screening fleet also managed to get into the Little Cayman PB, but I don't know if any screenshots were taken.

Edited by Batman
  • Like 2

A recording of my duel with Rorona Trinco vs Trinco, where I describe my thought process in subtitles. I guess it could work as an advanced tutorial for PvP :) 
(and yes, I see many things I could have done better :) ) Critique and comments are welcomed :) 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aster said:

Screening for New Symrna

91CA97D0E10F0EA8959A246F952D274006BBC503

US Screen leader: Amp

Secondary: Teutonic

Under Amp's lead we were almost able to sink Aster, and the Bellona player. Due to some mishaps and overall better sailing abilities, the French were able to recover their damaged ships back to fighting shape. Amp sank and command changed.

Under Teut's lead I took a more passive approach and wanted to keep the US fleet floating and wait for a good opportunity to make another attempt. Zaphod unfotunately had a bad disconnect and we lost him while the main US fleet took the opportunity to target the player "Lazzie" as we noticed a good opportunity to isolate him. The US fleet was not able to bring the needed damage to finish him off unfortunately either due to bad sailing management or Lazzie's good ability to negate some damage on to his ship. Shortly after this I was isolated and prompted sank due to french forces coming back after having sank Zaphod.

I informed the folks still fighting to adjust command to a new leader and good luck in their efforts. While the majority of our fleet was sunk, I believe we were sailing better than previous experiences in the past, and sinking one french player successfully is a good outcome. 

Screen fleet was successful in helping the port battle fleet enter the port at the cost of ships. We will replace ships in order to continue this content train.

#creatingcontent

Edited by Teutonic
  • Like 1

E65697203C04594C977E6A204DDB0AA770C6E3A5

Nice try pirates, it seems the Prussians were reluctant to fight and left most of WTF to get slaughtered.  Unfortunately the combined Franco/Prussian/Pirate fleet of 25+ outside tagged a couple of us on the way back.

Overall good fun

#creatingcontent

• Like 1

Battle in reinforcment zone, over time more and more joined, last 30+ min were basically constant tacking, included a boarding which I somehow managed to get away from, and I found out that the belle poule behaves PHENOMENALLY well upwind with shredded square sails

AE8BDCC4E31EFF56A655848455E25B92428DD167

• Like 4