Game-Labs Forum

So upgrade the Ingermanland to a 3rd, too?

And downgrade the Consti to a 5th rate? Oh and the Buc and pavel are 3rd rates as well. I hope you see the consequences?

The game dictates what the game needs. And how it rates the ships. The ingame rating is loolely based on historical rating. Its not bound to it. Nobody ever claimed that.

And if you talk about historical rating there comes the question: french?, spanish?; dutch?, swedish? rating? 1700s rating?, 1750s?, 1800s?, 1850s?

I can tell you its 2016s rating.

• Like 3

3rd rate ship of the line.  always was and always will be.    Ingerman...   a ship that was outdated and a 3rd rate .   Consti a 4th rate.    BUC and Pavel 2nd rates.   Historically

my point is to get rid of the requirements for deep water port battles.  Its completely stupid and controlling .   does not make sense to me.

And so I am here asking:

WHAT rating do you base your opinion on. There are plenty and all are different. Consti was rated a 44 gunner. Despite having over 50 guns in total. 44 is still a 5th rate in british terms of the late 18th century. Buc and Pavel are big 3rds. Same with the fudroyand. Those ships were rated 80 gunners by the brits - again late 18th century.

If you get rid of PB restrictions you will have 1st rate only PBs. Much fun, yeah? A lot of variety there. To choose between.. two ships. if you want to gimp your fleet its three vessels. gg, wp..

We already have more 1st rates in game - in the caribbean - than you ever had produced ba all nations combined during the period. I dont agree with your "realism" point. Not even remotely.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rating_system_of_the_Royal_Navy#Royal_Navy_rating_system_in_force_during_the_Napoleonic_Wars

if you want to take that rating.

The game does at least try to give you variety in PBs. If the player was to choose the vessels they go in (at this stage of the game) there would be no variety at all.

• Like 1

I think there shouldn't be a restriction for one ship but the implementation of a requirement in PBs, forcing the attackers or the defenders to have a mix fleet who get what ships don't know but should be something like more points go inside first like 1 first rate 2 second rates 3 third rates 4 fourth rates 5 fifth rates and six 6th rates. We have a total of 21 ships in a mixed and more realistic fleet. I'd love to see this in game and not battles of 25 agamemnons vs 25 agamemnons or 25 oceans vs 25 oceans.

The threedecks ratings pages are probably better to use to emphasise the point here as it shows progression pretty nicely, Agamemnon is technically a 3rd and a 4th over the rating system thanks to the changed over time.

https://threedecks.org/index.php?display_type=ship_rates

We could always just go Dutch/Venetian and make everything above around 64 a first rate ;)

25 minutes ago, Jones el Tuerto said:

I think there shouldn't be a restriction for one ship but the implementation of a requirement in PBs, forcing the attackers or the defenders to have a mix fleet who get what ships don't know but should be something like more points go inside first like 1 first rate 2 second rates 3 third rates 4 fourth rates 5 fifth rates and six 6th rates. We have a total of 21 ships in a mixed and more realistic fleet. I'd love to see this in game and not battles of 25 agamemnons vs 25 agamemnons or 25 oceans vs 25 oceans.

The issue with this is there's not a good enough stock of ships to pull this off, its not like battle fleets really had this mix unless you count the support ships involved. Sadly the reality is we need more of a system where there are more ships for starters, with benefits and drawbacks of playing different ships, say lighter 3rds vs heavier 3rds with a real mix up of nationality and build types to better represent different play styles, sadly that would take an incredible amount of time and money to program in.

5 hours ago, EL LOCO said:

Can you developers get this right.  This ship is a 3rd rate.  A classic and famous 3rd rate.   Get rid of this ship for 4th rate battles or at least get rid of that requirement.  Please get history right.

This is a game, and games need to have some sort of balance to be worth playing. We have ships from early and late in the Age of sails period, for this to work this game has it own rating system. Then the ships specs a probably adjusted some what to be balanced to fit into the NA rating system.

This for me makes perfect sense. So I'm struggling to understand your issue with it.. :(