Game-Labs Forum

Creating new ships from scratch

Daniel Alessi

I have no intent to model for this game. I am just learning Blender and happen to be using a ship hull. But thanks for information. I should add a disclaimer .....My post is not intended to show any proficiency with modelling for this game. The developer has yet to release information on specifications for models to be used in this game.

Cheers!

it did only post it since you tryed the aproche from the video wich is more usefull for what he has done, an aircraft is fare more simple than the ship you are going to modell wich is far more complex. for each thing you want to model there are diffrent ways to do them some simple some harder.

i throught the tutorial i like would be more helpfull on your current project.

ahhh, I see and agree with you. That plane video is nothing like what is required for gaming models. But it is a great way to get started in Blender....learning lots of the tools and interfaces needed within Blender. Plus getting all the Blender key command short cuts down....it is a great exercise....the model is more of a "scribbling on the side of a note pad" than real useful model.

tell me when you get to the bow.. thats a real pain in the arse.

I gave up on my model a few months ago.. couldnt figure out how curves look nice in blender

Do you mean like this?

(bad example, I smoothed all edges, but you can set which ones stay sharp and which ones get smoothed)

Facets:

facets_zps12f0c612.jpg

with smoothing on:

smooth_zps00f98e4b.jpg

I worked on other end...with smoothing...lots of fudging, LOL

HMSDruid_0512-4-14_zpsbd5640e0.jpg

HMSDruid_0212-4-14_zps845b3173.jpg

I have significant difficulty understanding this: How many unique ships were there in the Age of Sail in the era the game is based on? I say it could not surpass 300 different battleships, since even for the Royal Navy the number count was at 180-200 maximum at one point in time... and that would have been extremely costly to maintain. 

After this is settled I may form an opinion on this.

Tons.

The following lists may contain ships from outside of Naval Action's period and is just for the Royal Navy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_frigate_classes_of_the_Royal_Navy#Sail_frigates_from_1750_.E2.80.93_by_class

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ships_of_the_line_of_the_Royal_Navy

Does that mean the number of players will exceed the number of available ships from the period?  Absolutely (or at least we hope so).  But a ship is generally based on a "Class", and it's ok to have more of them around than there really were.

hmm what classes do we know of?

SoL's

104gun(victory and similar first rates)

74gun

64gun wip ingermanland(spelling(potbs valliant))

50gun 4th rates

Frigates

44gun 

38gun

32gun

26gun

24gun

22gun and bellow

now multiply it by the numbers of nations we will mostlikely see ingame one day UK Spain France USA Russia Portugal Dutch Danish Sweden as a beginning.

so we can savely asume 200+ if we make sure that each antion has his onw shiptype of an class even through some nation wont have an 44gun like our old iron side so there will be some variation.

i'm ignoring Merchants since i dont know much more about them

You have to be very careful in classification of rates. Remember that each nation had it's own system of rating ships and it shall be interesting to see if that in turn is represented in the game. The most common one that we adhere to today is the Royal Navy rating system however when you look at both the French and Spanish systems and even that of the Dutch system there are multiple classes.

As do I. I can hardly imagine what monstrosities we would see on the ocean should player designed and not historical warships be allowed.

If the engine handled them like actual physics did, I'm willing to bet most of them wouldn't even *float* let along *sail* anywhere. Anything with 200 guns on it is going to be a tub, no matter WHAT sailplan it has... (or it wouldn't sail into the wind at all. FF IX's Blue Narcisiss comes to mind. It had two gaff rigged sails mounted port and stern. Looked cool, but generally useless for actual sailing)

I've done some 3D modelling, and I could see something as complicated as a sailing ship would be VERY hard to model, especially with the game at an early stage.

A few I could see working on/contributing That wouldn't nessicarily have a historical counterpart:

6-8 gun sloop. They had boats in this size, it's not unreasonable.

a Ketch (because they're also common, and Captain Ron referances).

A Caravele of some sort. (Because it'd be intresting to see what the engine and players did to make that older design work).

And it would be achronistic, but they DID have a seven-masted Schooner.... I'd be tempted just on account of how silly it is.

• 2 weeks later...