Game-Labs Forum

Legendary CSA campaign

Col_Kelly

On 7/19/2017 at 11:05 AM, Col_Kelly said:

Pt. 11 : Second Mannassas.

I find the comment about not fighting the first day extraordinary CK. Surprised others haven't asked why not? I'm just about to fight this battle and this stopped me right in my tracks! Would appreciate your thoughts on that decision if you don't mind? Thanks in advance!

@civsully1The 1st day can be very bloody if the union get into the woods with you, just like the real battle if my memory serves me correctly. I've done several of the battles on MG, if I catch the union in open ground, I can pound them at very minimal loss. If not, I'll take several hundred casualties before getting them out. 

Edited by Captain Hutch
  • Like 2

@civsully1

The Union is already very timid in it's assaults when it has full numbers so depleting them on the first day would make them even more hesitant. On 2nd day I have a strong position and good numbers so I really wanted the Yanks to attack me to hurt their army size long term.

@A. P. Hill

Noted, I'll extend the commentaries's duration. Sometimes it's hard because I don't want to have commentaries while the camera's moving but I'll find a way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Captain Hutch said:

@civsully1The 1st day can be very bloody if the union get into the woods with you, just like the real battle if my memory serves me correctly. I've done several of the battles on MG, if I catch the union in open ground, I can pound them at very minimal loss. If not, I'll take several hundred casualties before getting them out. 

Appreciate the comments CH! I elected to fight the first day battle and managed to keep the Union troops out of the woods. I used the technique Col K shows often of Skirms and smaller units moving up, firing, and falling back constantly. As he says it takes getting use to the speed of micro-managing that back and forth movement, but in this battle it seemed to have worked rather well. Though I may have to use a wrist splint after all that mouse action! :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

@civsully1

The Union is already very timid in it's assaults when it has full numbers so depleting them on the first day would make them even more hesitant. On 2nd day I have a strong position and good numbers so I really wanted the Yanks to attack me to hurt their army size long term.

@A. P. Hill

Noted, I'll extend the commentaries's duration. Sometimes it's hard because I don't want to have commentaries while the camera's moving but I'll find a way.

I'm halfway through the day two battle and tried your defensive posture in the vid. Very impressed and clearly see how I over-rated the fortifications defensive attributes the first go around where I thought I had better cover than I did. The defensive positioning has been devastating especially for my cannons.  Using several skirms I've swung behind the Union's faltering line taking out two batteries and 3 supply wagons. All the while keeping my line units in cover firing from the high ground.

I recall from the first time playing this battle I got clobbered at the earthworks and lost a fair share of soldiers retreating to the ridge line. So I have to say I've really appreciated this series.

5 hours ago, civsully1 said:

I'm halfway through the day two battle and tried your defensive posture in the vid. Very impressed and clearly see how I over-rated the fortifications defensive attributes the first go around where I thought I had better cover than I did. The defensive positioning has been devastating especially for my cannons.  Using several skirms I've swung behind the Union's faltering line taking out two batteries and 3 supply wagons. All the while keeping my line units in cover firing from the high ground.

I recall from the first time playing this battle I got clobbered at the earthworks and lost a fair share of soldiers retreating to the ridge line. So I have to say I've really appreciated this series.

If you're really intend to use earthworks then you should occupy them with skirmisher-type units (for example, you want to get kills with you dismounted skirmisher cavalry) and place infantry brigades behind them. This lures the enemy into charging the weak skirmisher units and you can fire full volleys at them when they are at melee range. Never occupy fortifications with full infantry brigades.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

@drhay53 It's all about using them cheats ;).

More seriously if you can tell me which example you're referring to I'll be able to give a more useful explanation.

Cavalry tutorial is here as promised.

Ah, sorry, I was specifically talking about the Salem Church video; I think you're very effective at micro-managing the targeting of charging brigades, or, brigades that are likely to be the next to try to charge.

I didn't even think to flank big round top lol. I pushed my infantry to the south of the the peach orchard while using snipers to harass the unions flanks. I was able to encircle their force to the north and destroy/capture all the support but took a lot of casualties holding little round top from the last waves of union reinforcements. I'll have to try your maneuver next time, hopefully I can get my cas down from 13k to 11k or so on MG. I'm still struggling to get a good general skill set when starting a leg campaign and I'm not about to invest in a campaign with a Cavalry skill when I'm awful at micro managing those units lol.

• Like 1

Very informative and educational Col_Kelly.

Playing CSA campaign on easy level, and is about to start the Cold Harbor 'leg'.  It's the third time I've started up, but never came beyond Cold Harbor, due to lack of men and material, so I'm taking note of your finer tactical movements on the battlefields.

Thank you, for your time and effort, making these informative YouTube posts.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The hatred of fortifications strikes again!

I think these lategame earthworks are really strong though, and a lot of them are worth using. Obviously there are some that are worthless and/or a trap, but I believe by this part of the campaign the earthworks are giving 70% missile resistance, which is too good for me to pass up as much as you do.

Obviously you manage to make it work fine, but I feel like you are under utilizing them a bit in this battle, perhaps?

Edited by maniacalpenny

It's not the fortifications themselves, they're pretty fine, it's the way they're positioned. You're forced to cover a huge ground and the AI can attack them from cover. Since I needed two strong wings I had to defend a smaller area with my center, hence the initial retreat.

5 hours ago, Col_Kelly said:

It's not the fortifications themselves, they're pretty fine, it's the way they're positioned. You're forced to cover a huge ground and the AI can attack them from cover. Since I needed two strong wings I had to defend a smaller area with my center, hence the initial retreat.

Oh yeah I certainly don't advocate manning all of the earthworks, but usually I will integrate a few into my defensive line, or use them when I move into a position where they are useful. I manned a section of the earthworks that overlooked open ground on the south side, and then wound my line behind the western earthworks in the forest to the VP (where you defended). Aside from using for meele buffs and a few skirmishers on the east side, it doesn't look like you ended up manning any at all.

Edited by maniacalpenny

• 2 weeks later...

I will, sorry for the delay I'm moving atm and don't have enough time to play the game, let alone recording/editing. I'm past Cold Harbor and I believe I have good chances at beating the campaign. The AI will have minimum manpower (245k men total if I recall) so despite the heavy losses I'll take before it should be feasible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colonel Henriksen said:

No sweat. Real life matters have first priority no matter what.. We'll hold our breath, and awaits your next upload with (little) patience :-P

Absolutely agree here with Col H!! Just a reaffirmation as to how many follow, enjoy, and learn from your videos!!

• Like 1