Game-Labs Forum
admin

Development Roadmap for the next 3-5 months

My contribution to fine tunings in order of importance:

1. Remove the conquest marks from the game, merge with combat marks and rename it to "renown". Fine tuning: battle rating ratio (when entering battle) should have an impact on renown earned.

2. XP should be granted also for damage and crew kills again, not just for sinking/capturing.

3. Remove the max ship speed cap, limit effectiveness of upgrades/books so that bonuses from >1 upgrade/book do not sum up to ridiculously high values

4. Bring back the alliance/war system

5. Bring back map coordinates, introduce means for navigation:

perk "Sextant noon latitude" gives last noon (in-game 12:00) latitude with precision +/- 0.5arcmin or so (wide stripe on map).

perk "Celestial navigation" gives latitude and longitude 4 times a day (rectangle or circle on map)

6. Remove costs for outpost slots, but add new port buildings: outpost (to allow jumping to this port, also allowable in free towns), ship dock lvl 1/2/3 (must have to leave a ship safely in harbor or risk to lose it), warehouse lvl 1/2/3, trading office (to place contracts), shipyard lvl 1/2/3, workshop lvl 1,2,4, plantations, mines etc. Labor hours should be generated by buildings (e.g. workshop, shipyard, plantation, mine). The buildings should be visible in the UI!

Some new features I would like to see:

7. Dead crew cannot be reanimated by rum. Only wounded crew members should be recovered. Recovery should take time and some wounded will not survive the recovery time.

8. Crew members and staff on shore (player buildings need staff) should be paid. Upkeep of buildings and ships should cost money. If money is not available, crew will desert and player needs to hire new ones. When staff members desert, the building will not function anymore. Likewise, dismissing staff/crew allows to save money. Only player's online time should be accounted for. 

9. Every harbor should have a tavern to recruit new crew members and exchange gossip (chat) and a notice board for announcements. Automatically generated "national news" on the announcement board: war/peace status change, port battle outcomes. "Local news" about enemy activities in local waters, town expansion (new player buildings). Player announcements on the board optional, should be possible, but very costly to disencourage spamming.

10. Port raids should be a source of income and should also affect other player's wealth. Looting other player's warehouse is a real incentive to do PvP on both sides.

11. In the port UI it should be possible to see which player/clan/guild has which buildings in port.

On 3.7.2017 at 0:03 PM, admin said:
    • Localization into first batch of languages - once 2-3-4 is done
      • spanish
      • french
      • russian
      • german
      • simplified Chinese

Do you plan on hiring translators? I am pretty sure there would be enough people here on the forum who would do it for free.

• Like 2

I know i'm new like but from when i use to play i really enjoyed the game, i have started playing again and getting more into the crafting side of things. So ill list some things i like/did not like from my time playing:

+I enjoyed the progression, it was the right level of grind, the larger ship you were in the more gold/exp you gained from the mission.
+Crafting was easy enough to get into and level up, only took me about 2-3 weeks to hit lvl 35 and start pumping out 4th rates.
+I enjoy the NPC fleet addition and the Fleet mission's as they bring a lot of fun to the game especially in inactive times.

-I do not like the new system with the Conquest mark's at all, the grind on crafting is enough to warrant the player being allowed to make 3rd rate and above and the addition of the permit system in general was a bad idea. There should be a mechanic where larger ships cost more gold to make than smaller ones but i believe that this was the wrong way to do it.
-The whole mission ganking put me off a lot with the game, spamming basic cutter missions right now is more cost effective than even thinking about taking out a real ship, especially in the inactive times where certain players can dominate ports.

I'm not a fan of having the PVP EU server being mainly focused around PVP, as stupid as that sounds but the idea of splitting the population up over 3 servers doesn't seem like a good idea, the game should be tailored to all play types with each one giving its own benefits. Trading missions giving LH, PvP missions giving the best form of income with capturing ships, even if a ship is sank it should still give extra loot compared to a PVE ship. Then PVE battles give players chances to get useful items to create an economy in any port. Solo missions should be uninterruptible but only one player can enter them. Fleet missions stay as they are. Larger radius around player checking for hostiles so people cannot run into a mission to escape. Scrap the conquest system and combat mark system all together as i preferred the note system. Increase the furnishing amount on a scale equal to the rate of ship to combat SOL spam. 

Brainstorming @ 6 am with no sleep, thanks for everyone's time, i'm still semi-new. Only about 300-400H exp.

1. Close PvE missions. PvE missions should only allow those in my group to join. It's PvE not PvP. When a player joins another players mission it changes from PvE to PvP.

2. Open PvP. Why close a PvP battle. If you want to PvP why would you want the protection that other players are unable to join. When I PvP it would be more fun if other players could come to there nations rescue instead of as sure thing after 3 minutes. After leaving port to help a fellow player you are locked out of joining battle for 2 minutes. You really only have a 1 minute window.

3. The conquest mark. I understand the idea of limiting the amount of SoL's. Unfortunatly if you can not get ships you can not participate in port battles if your nation is nocked back to one set of ports. And wheres the fun in being a Rear Admiral and not have a SoL to sail around in.

$. Crafting XP. Needs to be for any crafting. Not every one wants build ships.

It appears that many players are asking for some crafting rewards. As far as I understood it, there used to be some earned craft XP when players produced crafted items.

Since crafting involves gold, Labor Hours, purchased goods, harvested resources, even other crafted materials, it would make sense that one should earn craft XP. I do not know the reason it was changed in the new patch and I am sure there must be some rationale for it, but it seems that leveling up in craft has been quite tedious.

Maybe some craft XP can be rewarded for crafting certain mats, but not all of them. For instance:

1- no (or very minimal) craft XP for crafting mats from a single resource: Oak Logs to Oak Planks.

2- small craft XP amount for crafting non complex mats requiring a single resource and 1-2 other mats:  Carronade = Charcoal + Iron ore

3- higher craft XP amount for crafting more complex mats requiring 2 or more other mats: Barrels = Iron Ingots + Tar + Oak Planks

Or something like that.

I know the big XP reward for crafting is making ships, but awarding small amounts along the way will help level up and produce the ships people want/like and continue enjoying this great game.

Thank you.

• Like 1

On 7/13/2017 at 8:28 AM, Farrago said:

2. Do something about the speed meta. Make it a percentage cap rather than a 15 knot cap.

I missed something here.  I can sail at 21 knots.in OW.  Or at least I think I can.  That's what the magic speedometer says in game. But in a battle instance I am limited to 13.5kn.

I checked the patch notes and there is no mention of the 15 knot cap.  Can someone post a link for the Devs that explains this feature.

43 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

I checked the patch notes and there is no mention of the 15 knot cap.  Can someone post a link for the Devs that explains this feature.

I haven't been able to find where (or if) the Devs explained it, but basically it means that no matter what your build, mods, and knowlwdge of a ship, your top speed in battle will not be over 15 knots. However, by using speed modifiers you can get to that speed at more points of sail. In effect, it makes more and more ships into speed ships.

@Koltes does a good job explaining it in this thread: 

So is a Lynx still faster than most ships in close reach or can many of the other ships be tweaked to beat her?

Another shout here for pirate specific mechanics. They should not be a faux-nation, but should be individuals making opportunist attacks on shipping and raiding ports when in groups, as a more hardcore experience in NA. There are plenty of ideas that float around here. lots to provide inspiration, so it would be nice for us to know whether they're going to be sorted out or just left as is.

Also another cry for reducing bonuses quite heavily for mods and books. They should provide a small boost, just a small one, and not make such a massive difference.

Edited by Rikard Frederiksen
  • Like 1

On 7/17/2017 at 1:38 AM, Macjimm said:

So is a Lynx still faster than most ships in close reach or can many of the other ships be tweaked to beat her?

Does anyone know the answer to the question above?

2 minutes ago, Macjimm said:

Does anyone know the answer to the question above?

The Lynx IS the fastest ship at 45pts into the wind.  No ship can be tweaked to be faster.  

1. Get rid of "Victory Marks" for ships and convert to "Victory Marks" for mods. To much advantage to the large nations that win often.

2. Ships need to be cheaper to build if they are only one dura. No one wants to risk their ships anymore. Another option would be to have the multi-dura ships again but with a 24 hour cooldown after being sunk. Ship lasts longer making players more comfortable with risk, yet gives real consequences for a loss on a day to day cycle.

3. Need to tweak some ships and mods. Bellonas shouldn't be able to hit cap as I have heard they can.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wraith said:

True, but not all Lynxes are created equal. ;) 

Very true. 

Like I have a Privateer that can out run some Lynxes... 

• Like 1

Here are my most critical suggestions, not necessarily in any order of preference:

1) Have our fleet ship escape AWAY from enemy ships.  I am sick and tired of ordering my fleet ships to escape and then seeing them sail TOWARD the enemy.  I have lost several ships because of this, and again, I am sick of it.

2) Put a stop to retreating traders running aground and then just circling/spinning in the same place.  Have them parallel the shoreline instead.

3) Stop reacting to the crybabies who whine the most when the game is realistically difficult.  Take for example the way shore batteries are now effectively worthless.  An enemy squadron should fear getting in range of shore batteries. An enemy squadron should FEAR entering a hostile port and getting in range of multiple forts and towers.  But instead friendly shore batteries are little more than an annoyance to enemy ships.  If we can run into our own friendly harbors to find safety under the protection of the shore batteries then the shore batteries are functionally worthless.  If the shore batteries are going to be nothing more than an irritating decoration remove them from the game because now they are pretty much useless and thus pointless.  And no, I am NOT talking about port battles.  Running under the cover and protection of shore batteries in friendly waters is a legitimate and realistic tactic.  Neutralizing that legitimate tactic just because a bunch of crybabies whine about how effective shore batteries SOMETIMES make it hard to kill a helpless victim (i.e. someone who is outnumbered and/or outgunned) is just flat out dumb.  Friendly waters under the protection of shore batteries should be safe from anything other than a fleet of line ships.

4) DREDGE THE FRIGGIN HARBORS! ! !  Entering a harbor should NOT be as difficult as it is.  So, get rid of the damn shallows that block most of the entrance into deep water ports.  Sometimes it can take several minutes to find that sweet spot of the only way to enter a port without running aground.  If you can't dredge the harbors so they are much easier to enter quickly from many approaching headings then place buoys to mark the shallows so we can always know exactly how we have to enter any port without running aground.

5) These ships had longboats.  So, once the battle ends we should be able to salvage cargo from kills as long as we are within three ship lengths of a kill.  Or, after a battle ends just make the salvage circle a standard 200 yards/meters in diameter.  There is no reason for salvaging cargo from kills to still be sometimes so difficult after the battle ends.

• Like 1

I think the offer is unreasonable and needs to be toned down. We will see what Brits decide. I've been victim to to many "one ports" to care. Ill still play the game. It will drive the population down drastically so lets see if Duncan really means he cares about the server population.

Please return the send deliveri in free towns or another system

I think buy 3 keys of the game but if the deliveri is not, I am not buy another keys for this game

In steam sales con December 2017

The game have a sale? For buy another key, for earn more gold with trading or is more easy crafting the ships

With more mines to extract the resources :-)

Spanish player

8 hours ago, ViKaT said:

I think buy 3 keys of the game but if the deliveri is not, I am not buy another keys for this game

In steam sales con December 2017

The game have a sale? For buy another key, for earn more gold with trading or is more easy crafting the ships

With more mines to extract the resources :-)

Spanish player

Have you, maybe, considerd to buy enough key's so you can start a whole clan?  

Maybe steam can throw in a bulk discount if you buy like a whole bunch of them? 

Besides that i'm looking forward for the upcoming changes especially the update to unity 5. I've been away for a while and now that i have time, i'm back on naval action again.  

Edited by Jacob van Heemskerck

Most of your post are from PVP players!! . Here is one from PVE side .   1. More CB marks per battle comparable to PVP and XP .  2 more goods and brops in free ports and teleport to and from free ports or were your bases are!! . 3 more pirate port around the map to run ops out of .      AND A WISH. Add the Panama canal to enlarge the map and port to what's all thats ready there .

Edited by Captain corn blower
  • Like 2

DEVs most of the PVEers are older players and like the controlled PVE invierment of it . and yes there are a lot of younger players to , but it's for the same reason and not the ganking PVP side. WE Deserve the same perk and points .We paid the same money as they did and expect the same pay and perks scale . you offered 2 versions of the game and this is the one we play there should be no differents in scale .

Edited by Captain corn blower
  • Like 3

dear developers

please remove (asap) the 15 knots that every ship, doesnt matter how small or big it is, can reach now. - not realy realistic

please limit the repair of ship and Crew to a one time Action. it cant be that you can repair as Long you have enough repair kits with you. - not realy realistic

please remove the free ports and or limit it to Traders only

please limit the amount of  balls and chain shot a ship can have

• Like 1

wow.  did not notice that.  No storms.   Why?   that was some awesome effects.    Good for trading too.