Game-Labs Forum

Frigate, Renommee or Surprise?

HMS Victory

Question

Hey Captains,

Who of you know what strengths and weaknesses these three vessels have? Which of those would be worth buying form your experience and why? Also, should I use cannons or carronades on the specific ship if I want to do both PVP and PvE?

Thanks in advance,

HMS Victory

May the wind be with you.

6 answers to this question

In short

a speed fitted fir/fir or cedar/cedar (or - even better - maghogany/mahogany for more survivability) surprise is good for PVP

a repair/hull fitted sabicu/sabicu frigate is good for PVE (IA chase and missions as well): it has decent tank but does not turn and sail like a floating brick.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

Ship for PvE will not perform well in PvP, you need to choose.

As I understand, this statement is valid only if other players in PvP and myself understand what they are doing? I would probably go with PvE currently just to learn manual sailing, aiming and the combat in general. I had taken a look at Naval Wikia and figured out that a Frigate outmatches Surprise and Renommee overall as it has balanced speed and more hull armor. As I understand, if I sail a Frigate vs PvE, I wouldn't need carronades as she is tanky enough to go close and be used with cannons?

1 minute ago, rediii said:

In pvp you want to be fast so you can choose if you want to fight or not. Also you need chasers in front and heck. You will not get away in a frigate (alone) from another ship. You will easily get away with a suprise and reno. But suprise will probably lose against a frigate in a 1v1 (because of turnrate). You will not catch much with a renommee if you dont have area control and your enemy knows what he's doing

Hmm...I see, PvP small battles have to be fought with faster ships rather than heavy and vice versa for PvE :) That makes more sense to me now. Sadly enough the Frigate doesn't have stern chasers as it would help with getting away, though, you can always use broadsides to chain down the Surprise and Renommee. If you would be capable of bringing down the sails for these two, it would then be an easy game by shooting off the broadsides of Surprise and Renomme because of the bigger guns and cannon count is that true? Though if the enemy is smart and brings down my sails I'm a fish in the barrel! I hope I got that right, but I still would wonder if cannons or carronades would be most suitable in this case.

12 minutes ago, Otto Kohl said:

For PvE you should choose frigate. In PvE speed and turning does not matter so you should focus on HP and Thickness, Live oak frame, white oak planking should do. Because you mentioned that you need to learn i advise you to go full long cannons.

OK, I'm now getting around this, thanks :)

1 minute ago, rediii said:

Well i can't explain you how PvP works in this game in the forum, it's already hard to do in teamspeak since people have a quite romantic idea of pvp in NA most of the times. You are the prime example right now TBH ;)

I guess I will have to go through it and learn as I go! It always depends on the circumstances I sea (pun intended)... :)

3 minutes ago, victor said:

In short

a speed fitted fir/fir or cedar/cedar (or - at least - maghogany/mahogany for some more survivability) surprise is good for PVP

a repair/hull fitted sabicu/sabicu frigate is good for PVE (IA chase and missions as well)

Cheers.