Game-Labs Forum

Time to hit the Reset Button

On 6/29/2017 at 6:42 AM, Zoky said:

I blame crafters for our current problems! We can't capture AI ships because crafters have need to feel important. We can't produce ships easily so that again dedicated crafters feel special. I say skin them, then put salt on them, then impale them on huge stick, and then finally roast them over campfire :P 

#stopcrafterstyranny

LOL it isnt that bad.  I can craft my own ships, and my own repairs.  Not like I am using the labor hours for anything else.

When I dont need a new ship or want a new ship, I use the hours to make money.

On 6/29/2017 at 6:47 AM, fox2run said:

As a level 50 crafter I don't mind cheap, multi dura ships. They actually didn't flood the market as pvp took it's toll. 

So more pvp: more trading of ships

Less pvp: less need for ships.

Enhance pvp please.

EVE has 1 dura ships and everything works out JUST fine... and there are ships in that game worth thousands of real life dollars.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Bach said:

No, I was a solo hunter from last year. It was easy. Especially with the battle exit screen teleports.  Didn't have to think ahead, plan an outpost logistically or set up any money making side projects.  Just sail off KPR, hunt the 20 degree line on the handy provided map grid and sink players doing mostly missions.  At some times it was even boring.  You didn't make much money off the player kills because most of them were not hauling cargo. They were grinding out missions.

This year its got challenge. Especially with the battle screen teleport get out of jail free card removed.  Its not impossible but the days of sailing off a national capital taking prizes the old way and teleporting home when it gets tough are essentially gone.

Sorry but i don't consider hunting going in players missions,I like to chase in the OW,that's where the fun and the battle begins to me.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Hagen v Martius said:

Did I talk about replacing ships, my dear? No? What a shame... :)

Yes this will obviously exclude him from the by necessity more hardcore elements of the game

It's just a shame that for the time being there is none that offers anything decent for the age of sail itch, eh?

And please, I do my share of PvP with my buddies. Always have, so don't go around assuming.

Casuals lose ships, you have to replace ships.  You play on PvP server, you are planning to do PvP.  Casuals lose even more ships.

HC in NA means HC PvE grind.

Right now I sure would be interested to play another age of sail game.  I think the last patch was bad for the game, for sure it was.

Share of PvP, I assume that is not much.  You also probably avoid any risks that there might be.  As if you were taking some risk, you might actually lose something.

If you do lot of PvP, you will end up to lose ships.  As you think that game is ok, "your share of PvP" cannot be much.

6 minutes ago, Cmdr RideZ said:

Casuals lose ships, you have to replace ships.  You play on PvP server, you are planning to do PvP.  Casuals lose even more ships.

HC in NA means HC PvE grind.

Right now I sure would be interested to play another age of sail game.  I think the last patch was bad for the game, for sure it was.

Share of PvP, I assume that is not much.  You also probably avoid any risks that there might be.  As if you were taking some risk, you might actually lose something.

If you do lot of PvP, you will end up to lose ships.  As you think that game is ok, "your share of PvP" cannot be much.

So you still pretend I was talking about something I wasn't actually talking about then? :)

But fine,let's pretend I was talking about whatever it is you think I meant:

Of course casuals lose ships, but unless they're stupid about it they'll lose ships they can afford to lose. So I don't see the issue with it? Unless you support coddling stupid people I don't see how we disagree.

You know exactly what I meant with HC and you're moving the goal posts again. Goal posts that you introduced in the first place...

A different game? Again, not what I was talking about, but I'm starting to see a theme here. But I agree, the game is going in the wrong direction.

My share of PvP is that I and two buddies of mine go out into the home waters of a different nation and attack ships. And since none of us have any interest in PBs or joining a large clan we do so with the resources at our disposal. Which before the reset meant attacking 3rd rates in our Rattlesnakes in front of KPR or taking the occasional trader and now after the reset means boarding a Swedish Renomee just east of Gustavia in our three crafted Fir/Teak Pickles.

And no, we didn't tend to lose too many ships as we're careful about what ships we bring (Rattlesnakes are good for running and fore-and-aft rigged ones as well of course) and whom we attack, which is an inherently sane and smart thing to do, no? :) 

Unless we specifically set out to do so of course, e.g. every now and then we all used to go out in in capped 1 dura ships to make more room in La Navasse with the specific intent to not bring them back.

Is that enough for "my share"? Or is there some sort of line I have to cross to be allowed to speak about how possible it is to do minimal effort PvP when putting in minimal effort into the game? Because, as a reminder that I fear you will ignore again, that is what I was talking about. Casual players doing casual PvP.

2 hours ago, Hodo said:

LOL it isnt that bad.  I can craft my own ships, and my own repairs.  Not like I am using the labor hours for anything else.

When I dont need a new ship or want a new ship, I use the hours to make money.

EVE has 1 dura ships and everything works out JUST fine... and there are ships in that game worth thousands of real life dollars.  

I don't know about EVE. But I'll never be comfortable with a game where a first rate should cost me thousands of real life dollars. It sounds mad and completely ridiculous in my ears. PC games are a bit of fun. Not a ludomaniac replacement of real life.

This game needs to be de-EVEed!

49 minutes ago, fox2run said:

I don't know about EVE. But I'll never be comfortable with a game where a first rate should cost me thousands of real life dollars. It sounds mad and completely ridiculous in my ears. PC games are a bit of fun. Not a ludomaniac replacement of real life.

This game needs to be de-EVEed!

There is a reason why EVE is the measuring stick many Sandbox MMOs are held to now.  Because CCP did something right with that game.  

3 hours ago, Hagen v Martius said:

It's pretty poor by my standards...

3 hours ago, Hagen v Martius said:

that the game is perfectly playable on a casual level

Playable is a very relative term. Casuals will certainly not enjoy the current state of the game on average - i have seen enough leave and read enough negative steam reviews to be sure about it. My dick is playable too but if i wouldnt enjoy it i wouldnt go for it every once in a while...

Edited by Captain Lust

4 hours ago, tonyxyx said:

Sorry but i don't consider hunting going in players missions,I like to chase in the OW,that's where the fun and the battle begins to me.

Your making the assumption I go into the missions.  The 20 degree line was about the halfway mark in the travel path. An open world chase is far more controllable than a random mission jump in. 

The point being, last years mission runners no matter how we sunk them had very little wort anything on them.  The gold rewards just go straight to bank accounts.  This years cargo prizes are worth something.

Edited by Bach
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Blackjack Morgan said:

I definitely not trying to say everything was perfect back then...there were some of the exact same problems. I would say these exact same problems led in large part to the dwindling number of players. By the time some of them were corrected we had bled off a ton of people. It was only further crushed by some of the other developmental experiments I mentioned in my post. The response to make many of these changes took a very long time but most of them were improved upon. However, when you make mechanics that are very unpopular and fail to focus on mechanics that do matter you lose players and often times get bad reviews. On top of that we now have gone back and created many of those exact same unpopular mechanics that took months to get rid of. How in the world does that make any sense? 

The difference between the RNG mods from old and the current system is tremendous. Back then their were only a handful that were RNG, now just about everything is. We might have had a few that became worth a bunch of gold but who have a ton right now that are worth more and more every day. Not only that it was also pretty much universally agreed among players that all mods should be craftable. I was completely expecting the patch to move in a direction that minimized RNG from the game and put more of a focus on the actual trim of the crafted ship....right now I'd argue the mods and skillbooks are way more important. The gear mechanics remind me much more of other fantasy MMO's I've played don't you think?  

What are these magical mods you speak of? All I ever seem to get from loot drops is 12 hull repairs, 13 rig repairs and of course Med 6lb cannon! :(

It is ok that certain skill books drop rarely I suppose, but copper plating etc is another story. I'd say that the larger issue is the large and stacking bonuses some of the mods afford.

Something to be said about the numbers at EA release - What percentage of those numbers played for a few hours and left? I'd argue a large amount because it is hard to get started as a total noob, in the state the game was then and now.  I'd suspect that an in game tutorial and finished UI would be a big help to retain new players.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain Lust said:

It's pretty poor by my standards...

Playable is a very relative term. Casuals will certainly not enjoy the current state of the game on average - i have seen enough leave and read enough negative steam reviews to be sure about it.

I think the last patch improved the game a lot for casuals.

Just the removal of the ship grind and introduction of combat marks helped me a lot.

I play 2-3 nights a week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeRuyter said:

What are these magical mods you speak of? All I ever seem to get from loot drops is 12 hull repairs, 13 rig repairs and of course Med 6lb cannon! :(

I was getting better drops a couple weeks ago - I think the hotfixes this past week may have adjusted the drop rates for the upgrades, but that's just speculation.

Still haven't ever gotten a sealed bottle while fishing - after 130hrs since wipe. Womp womp.

It is really sad thing that reset would not be bad at all. It is just that in one year, the game went from the best game that was supposed to get even better, to something that I could not expect. The only reason I am still playing is because I am assuming/waiting that you fix this.

One year of development:

1. You improved some things that were working already really well. 

2. You broke some things that were working already well.

3. You did not improve multiple things that really needed attention.

4. If you actually improved somethings, it is hard to see that as so many things are so depressing.

1. Merge EU to Global.

2. Setup that version with flag system + merge current combat + land in battles + current port battles on PvP EU  (Maybe I missed a feature or two)

Verify that people like the current more than the old one. Simply stupid if you release without verifying.

"We had a really good one, we F*k it up, and release S*t, just because" - Wont be the smartest thing to do.