Game-Labs Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SamuelPepys

Aiming help - or is it that I am just bad at it?

Dear fellow captains!

Those who met me in battle might remember that I am an easy bait, running in between your briggs and cutters wih my little yacht, easily sunk but always having fun.

I would like to continue on this quick weasel, but feel like I am either bad at aiming or the yacht isn´t made for doing harm on the bigger vessels.

So what is the trick? i found some screenshots here showing the cutter and/or brigg with something like a HUD, but when I am in my yacht I got the greyish gun range (?) on the water an a small, moveable red line (which I thought was for aiming high and low).

By the way, sorry if I behave like a maverick in battle: haven´t got any friends here, no teamspeak and only a few hours with the ancient "Age of Sails" ...

Its all about those range shots, and using that 'red line' as a guide..... when you fire the range shot, note the guide position in relation to a cloud, mast or any other reference... when the range shot hits, also note whether the ship is sailing towards you, parallel or away and adjust accordingly.

Its difficult to hit smaller vessels as they tend to be both smaller in width and height so small adjustments when trying to hit them, with larger vessels its easier, their broad high hulls are asking to be punched!

My final and most valid tip is.... practice, practice, and more practice! There is no substitute for experience (unless of course the devs introduce some magic to ruin hard won xp ;) )

• Like 2

Lynx and Cutter being smugglers are not best at long range fighting.. just load double shot and come to pistol range. Naval gunnery of that time is hard. 

Use tracking shot only until you get the feel of the range correctly. Think of it as Angry Birds shooting. Judge the elevation and fire a single shot with spacebar. You don't need to shoot with left mouse.. you can shoot all your broadside with tracking shots.

Brig after cutter and lynx seem like a relaxation boat as it comes to gunnery ;)

Aiming is just real hard to do from the small ships. They roll around more and by the time you use your ranging shots, your out of ammo. I think we should start with Victories and earn our way down to the Lynx.

• Like 1

I have been pretty pathetic at damage, but I'm slowly working my way up to 5000.

I did have one enjoyable sequence with another Lynx, who had been chased by a brig. When I came along side him I had the wind gauge, and was able to keep him blanketed in my lee. I was able to head him enough to be out of the angle of his guns, but mine could bear. Every time he tried to turn I was able to hold my position. So we just cruised along while I pounded him to bits. Got 768 damage out of that little voyage.

The idea of getting within pistol range is good. I'll try double shot next time as well.

To quote Nelson...

No captain can do very wrong if he places his ship alongside that of the enemy.

I've been very much enjoying the Lynx. No point trying to fight at range, got her fitted out with the 12lb carronades, run in alongside and double-shot. Had a fight earlier with myself and a Brig against and NPC Lynx and 2 Brigs. Dueled and sunk the Lynx, only to find my ally had sunk fighting one of the brigs (btw, bad idea to fight NPCs at range, they seem to be very good shots), so I chased down and finished off his adversary, then turned round and sunk the last brig in a broadside lock. Bit close at the end but managed to pull it off.

Also had great fun with the Lynx in PvP, was me and a Surprise against a Trincomalee. The Trincomalee sunk the Surprise, but then I was sterncamping him, he couldn't turn to hit me, or only the rear two or three guns would be able to bear and he'd be lucky to hit me once firing the whole broadside. Same time I couldn't really hurt him, so after 15min I ran up alongside and rammed him to end the match rather than go to the time limit  :lol: 

I've got the cutter now, its got more firepower but not so agile and fun to play. If it wasn't for the ship unlock system I'd stay in the Lynx. Here's an idea, how about damage total for unlocks, let people sail what they like to earn that damage?

I've mostly tried my shots at long range, and now I am beginning to understand why I suck so much. It makes sense that the relatively unstable platform of the smaller ships makes aiming difficult, but since the NPCs of the same class hit me with regularity, it never occurred to me that this was the issue.

BTW, how does one go about refitting with different armament?

Do not forget that these small ships, like lynxes, are so small that they can be hard to hit with trinco or constitution when it is sailing within 10 meters from the side of my ship. I had one evil lynx following me yesterday like that. I hated it. it is like a mosquito that attacks your back (!) all the timeand that you cant reach.,

• Like 1

BTW, how does one go about refitting with different armament?

in the main lobby, there`s a tab named constructor... you can select different guns for different emplacement, altough i;ve heard carronnade are not working properly at this point.

I followed Alex Connor's advice and decided to engage the enemy more closely. Here's my feedback:

First of all, on every battle I can recall I start out upwind of the enemy. This is a huge advantage, and it sort of explains why the NPCs get an advantage at aiming.

Second, and especially if there are bigger ships in the battle, I try to peel off one or two smaller ships. The big guys will go at one another, but the little guys will give chase if you peel off to one side. When they do that, I run them down at an angle, trying to keep them on a close reach. They may get off one or two broadsides, but if I time it right, as soon as I see their smoke, I alter course slightly and dodge most of the balls.

Eventually I pull slightly ahead and blanket them in my lee. Then I alter sail trim to match their speed. Over time, when they try to alter course I match their every move.

Done properly I am able to stay clear of their guns, but can pound them with mine. If I use double shot, I can take them out in about three broadsides.

If two are giving chase I choose the lead ship to engage, when I've disposed of him, I turn my attention to the second ship.

When that's finished I return to the fleet action. I do what I can to assist. If all of my shipmates sink, and there are too many enemies to take on, especially if there are big ships, I get the hell out of there, and wait for the timer to end the battle.

I don't consider this cowardly, as I imagine in real life a captain would try to save his ship and crew in the face of overwhelming odds.

One time, I hid behind an island as though I was waiting for nightfall.

I love this game.