Game-Labs Forum

Patch 10.3 - New event, PvP marks changes, changes to knowledge slots and other fixes

admin

11 minutes ago, JG14_Cuzn said:

so you tell me: if a first rate is the highest art of crafting: wouldn't you want the highest level of 'Mark' to use as a symbol of your crafting ability?

I would want a mark that is a symbol of my crafting ability to be used.  A crafter avoids pvp (except for the occasional romp for fun).  A 1st rate is a triumph of PvE, it makes no sense to force the crafters to farm pvp, most likely for an absurd amount of marks.

13 hours ago, admin said:

Captains

Patch is being deployed to live servers

What's new

• Special event added that will happen from time to time somewhere in the Caribbean (1)
  • PvP marks and PvE marks removed and replaced by Combat marks (2)
  • Rookie Brig and Rookie Snow added to low level missions (3)
  • Added the ability to switch ships with fleet in ports (even without outpost) (4)
  • Improved (relaxed) speed requirements and time requirements to pick up loot from sinking ships (5)

I particularly applaud these items.

1) New content is always welcome.

2) I'm sure PvP marks made sense on the PvP server, but not so much on the PvE server. As a PvE server player and since the 2 server are interlinked as far as Patches are concerned, this will probably be beneficial for both.

3) Thank you for adding possibilities for new/beginning players.

4) Can not thank you enough for this, as it was a major problem.

5) Another thank you for thinking about the less skilled players.

• Like 2

Good change, I like it..but ship knowledge should go even further and cover something like 2 or 3 of the boxes be linked to ship frame size, so you dont have to unlock EACH and every ship individually...but if you play something similar most of the knowledge transfers over.  So individual ship type knowledge would only be 2 boxes ideally

5 hours ago, Liquicity said:

People PvP'd before wipe not for the rewards but because it's fun

If you're looking at PvP as a grind, something is wrong imo

This.

Stop treating the game as a spreadsheet.

I do however agree that those who do do more PvP should get access to (be it exclusive or simply more easily) items that are 'special' and ideally of a PvP nature, I don't even mind if this is particular ships. Whenever I saw a person in a connie, I would tip my hat to their PvPness (or their ability to buy PvPness :) ).

C'mon, this isnt a spreadsheet, its a game, the goal of the Dev's should be to make viable the DIFFERENT ways DIFFERENT people enjoy playing the game. And not some zero sum fair-o-meter.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Digital Wind said:

1st rates represent a triumph of the Crafter.  They represent an unimaginable commitment in grinding to max crafter level, huge amounts of trading for money, materials, and crafting ship mats.  It represents not a single second devoted to pvp and uncountable hours of trying to avoid it.

It's easy for a trader hunter to sit outside a freetown waiting for his next free lunch, but I'm spending half my waking hours trying to get the mats for 1st rates, to suggest that they should require pvp marks, most likely an absurd amount, would make me quit the game and go play Life.

As a dedicated crafter who wants to craft ships for PVP without participating in PVP you could buy permits from PVP players making their input into economy valuable too, no?
Or you could still make them ships providing that they supply the permit, no?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

so is trading.

If I, as a player for the Dutch nation, want to get Live Oak or White Oak, i need to venture into regions in control of Danes, Pirates or US.

This also takes hours to do, keeps me into OW the whole time, and every second of those hours i risk being jumped by a gank- squad in Surps.

Your argument Sir, is simply invalid.

you make money from trading we make nothing from being out there trying to pvp. its okay though ur trade routes just got a lot safer. many of the pvpers just quit the game. so now as long as you don't run into a pb fleet while trading you should be okay.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Xaturas said:

It's freaking stupid. I was grinding because I knew the grind was retarded as hell, but at the same time i knew that I could have 5 slots and enemy in ow pvp or PB would have 2 cause he was a lazy ... Now everyone and their grandmother will have 5 slots on every ship.

Then you guys change pvp marks into combat marks, and what pve ships will drop combat marks to? F.... the pvp guys then to.

This game went from hard to Hello Kitty World. Just put a freaking 1st rates in shop for 1 mil for bots now...

Yes.   Its a game changer.  Seems Carebears won the day yet again.   I Did every darn ship required and was complaining but I was doing work that most weren't.  Now they don't have to and I wasted my time.        These Care Bears need to be removed from the game.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, EL LOCO said:

Yes.   Its a game changer.  Seems Carebears won the day yet again.   I Did every darn ship required and was complaining but I was doing work that most weren't.  Now they don't have to and I wasted my time.        These Care Bears need to be removed from the game.

we should all be given a 1st rate so we can all go kill bots with the rest of the PVE players.

11 hours ago, Lordicious said:

I like this idea. This can work very well. Unlock all slots and have access to paint use. So, captains with painted ships will be qualified as elites who grinded these boats all the way up. 

Each ship paint tab should be similar to collectibles with locks over paints - Not found yet. 

Want to repeat this.   I have a ship that most don't sail and I would like to stand out from the crowd.   

As for PVP.  I was grinding PVP.  Hunting experienced players and sinking their trader brigs full of stuff just to get the PVP mark.    ARGH....    22 PVP marks..all traders and full of stuff I couldn't take home except some good crooked wood, refits, sealed bottles,etc.    Thanks Pirates!   Dutch are next.

7 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

You folks need to understand, that this game is not being kept alive by the hardcore PVP players, but by the PVE casuals that farm, craft and produce materials.

If you want a pure PVP game, go play a War Thunder/ World of Warships type game.

Darling, when you log on to the game, what server option do you chose? Maybe you make mistake right there.

7 hours ago, Yngvarr said:

so is trading.

How many times you went out to search for PvP? I do, daily. As I do trader runs. That statement right there shows that you, Sir, have absolutely no clue what you are talking about when you compare dangers of trader runs to PvP.

Isn´t the OW for a mix of PvP/PVE? NA OW was never designed for pure PvP as I understood it, since we have been there in the Sea Trails 2015 - pure PvP nothing to worry about just press play and PEW PEW PEW. And I understood we will return to this with NA Legends. Then OW will be what it was made for. An immersive Age of Sail World to do what you like to do, with a limited simulation aspect and RvR for cooperation.

You guys just playing for PvP are too late or to early - just wait for Legends Arena, why bother with all the sailing?

I am against the PvP to PVE Marks conversion (-at leat in a 2to1 ratio, would have preferred to further test the PvP Marks system with a combination of gained PvP Marks to BR ratio- ), too, but I just don´t understand that so many players don´t get the concept of NA OW and refuse to accept, that NA is not all about PEW PEW.

Edited by Ole Pinelle
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ole Pinelle said:

Isn´t the OW for a mix of PvP/PVE? NA OW was never designed for pure PvP as I understood it, since we have been there in the Sea Trails 2015 - pure PvP nothing to worry about just press play and PEW PEW PEW. And I understood we will return to this with NA Legends. Then OW will be what it was made for. An immersive Age of Sail World to do what you like to do, with a limited simulation aspect and RvR for cooperation.

You guys just playing for PvP are too late or to early - just wait for Legends Arena, why bother with all the sailing?

I am against the PvP to PVE Marks conversion (-at leat in a 2to1 ratio, would have preferred to further test the PvP Marks system with a combination of gained PvP Marks to BR ratio- ), too, but I just don´t understand that so many players don´t get the concept of NA OW and refuse to accept, that NA is not all about PEW PEW.

Have you noticed that it's usually pure PvE players that accuse everyone with slightly different opinion "your are mindless PvP only player, go play some other game"? Personally I am in PvP oriented clan (RUBLI), yet I don't know a single person who would not be involved in at least some parts of PvE - be it crafting, trading or even some occasional mission grinding. Actually two of our most hardcore PvPers were the first ones who had workshops and docks built and upgraded and churning out ships and guns.

How come there's always people like @Yngvarr who drop down clueless assumptions about other players to support some ridiculous statements like "trading is as dangerous as active search of PvP" and that PvP mark convertion to PvE marks with current rations is fine or better yet "You PvPers do nothing else, go play CS or wait for Legens Arena". You can make 30+ marks and 300-400k per hour with pretty much 0 risk at capitals grinding missions. For comparison yesterday I've spent close to 4 hours fighting spaniards at Motanzas in 3 battles and got something along the lines of 50k gold and 10-15 marks, lost one crappy Surprise in the process which was worth more than what I've got from 3 victorious battles totaling 4 indefaqs sunk or captured, 1 trinc sunk, 2 frigates sunk and multiple renomees/surprises sunk. A day before that we were in good frigate battle vs US at West End - we sank 4 out of 7 ships in an hour long battle, add to that travel and dodging revenge fleets for another 1.5 hours. We as a group got a total of 8 PvP marks (today it would be 16 combat marks, or a single fleet mission in indefaq done by single person in 30 mins).

How's that normal? How the hell can anyone expect that people who are engaged in PvP part of the game will not be outraged by simply ridiculous nerf to gains in PvP? PvE marks pre patch were going for 1-2k per one. PvP marks were going for 40-80k. Thats _40_ times difference. Devs axed it to 2 times difference with excuses of "abused alts blah blah blah". How about addressing the actual issue of alts abusal instead of breaking one of the games core mechanics?

Edited by Aphilas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Twig said:

@admin The PVE Marks which hadn't been redeemed yet did not change through the patch.
So they are not combat marks but still pve marks.
How can we fix this? 

My pve marks in the unused redeemables changed to combat marks

• Like 1

I totally agree that PvP should be rewarded more than PVE as it is now. But I am also for the approach that PvP is a means to an end, but not the prupose of the OW. The prupose of the OW should be the fun orientated immersion into the Age of Sails and RvR. So this would also mean, that the one who contributes most to the struggle of the nations, should be rewarded most and it should be balanced around this. If we could all make a good in-game fortune by sailing around and just looking for PvP, the OW would be without purpose and dead immediately. So you should be able to make living out of just sailing around and ganking weak traders and keeping a low profile as I privateer. But you should not be able to effort anything bigger than a 6th rate IMO and I understand that is currently provided by the game mechanics. Just needs more tweaking or another mechanic, where f.e. clans can issue "patrol-money", orders you can accept and patrol a certain grid a certain time? 

Edited by Ole Pinelle

Good direction... no knowledge tree=ppl are grinding ships through pve/pvp... but they are sailing (with joy in favorite ship ...not because they have to)

Combat marks drop from both PVE/PVP also awesome... awards both PVP (ofc more) and PVE players  (all have desire to sail...more ppl sailing=more fun)

Now the only thing is to regulate Combat mark prices for each ship and modules (so its not to ez and not HC for dedicated and casual players)

• Like 1

First of all i do mainly play PvE but i do participate in PVP but not because of the rewards. i do it because it's fun.

What are the changes i noticed yesterday evening after the patch?

Situation before the patch: every hour someone asked for help because he got attacked for exemple in a cerberus by 3 or 4 surprise. yesterday evening i didn't see any of such calls for help. Per definition 4 vs 1 is still PvP. of course actually noone did something like that but if happend often. This was the reality of the most PVP happening cause ships are expensive and the permants even more. This kind of fight is not fun it's a grind. and grinding PvP should never be a part of a game cause many players get harmed and lose interest in a game.

I agree PVP is when you just look at rewads now is useless. a 1:2 rate is a bad joke. it should be between 1:5 to 1:10. under the contidtion the battle rating is the same. if you jump in with 4 surprise against a cerberus you should literaly get nothing. max. 1 mark for the one who made a kill. but if you sink a first rate with a suprise you reward should be insane high so you can buy imiditaly 2 or 3 new surprises. make an expential br curve and increase the rewards for pvp drasticly so ganking wouldn't mean any profit but really fighting does. and include a reward for the one who lost aswell so people actually stay and fight.

Edited by Guruthos
  • Like 13

I agree that pvp needs to reward players a lot better but to all of you whining about pvp being dead now, I want to point to you that it was dead before. 4 or 5 vs 1 player isn't pvp. Also everybody was sailing around in a surprise with a million rig repairs so that they could run if things started looking bad. To the brits in global complaining, you had a port battle you didn't show up to. Last time I checked, port battles could be used for pvp

• Like 1

19 hours ago, randommexi said:

whats the point of pvp [/snip].

Winning a fight showing more skill?

C'mon just put the combat mark drop ratio at 5 (PVP) x 1 (PVE)  for kill and make all this whining end.

10 hours ago, Jeheil said:

Whenever I saw a person in a connie, I would tip my hat to their PvPness (or their ability to buy PvPness :) ).

Or either to their patience in ganking enough helpless trader brigs in failfitted gifted suprise :D

6 hours ago, EL LOCO said:

I was grinding PVP.  Hunting experienced players and sinking their trader brigs .....

Very hardcore indeed.

Edited by victor
  • Like 1