Game-Labs Forum

Thinking of turning Pirate

Bear in mind that I generally play solo, and don't pay much attention to Nation chat:

You had a thread looking for clans willing to take on deaf / HoH individuals, and I believe a couple pirate clans stepped forward.  This makes it easier already.  The thing that makes pirates "harder" is the tougher access to lineships, and the pirate on pirate battles.

The former may be a concern to you, the latter I hear little of.  In a clan, I imagine you'd have some sort of protection.

So, is the pirate faction overpopulated?  I'm not certain.  I think it might be comparable to the US, at least in early hours of server up-time.  I'm not sure how it compares as the day goes on.  YMMV.

The only real reason "Pirate on Pirate" action can lead to increased difficulty while playing within the faction is because it's a great way to get black listed and a target put on your back. It's not really a widely accepted thing to do within the 'Rat community on Global.

So overall it's not much different than playing in any of the other Nations. 

As it stands, pirate is just another nation with a crafting cap, FFA mode, and a whole lotta salt in chat, due to said FFA mechanic.

As it stands many pirates have in fact defected to the other Nations (mainly Britain) because of this. Pirate isn't necessarily hard, but rather annoying instead. With people like Vicious leading the pirate charge, and all manner of vitriol in the nation chat, Pirate does not endear a fun experience. 

I'd personally wait for the next patch that claims to introduce raids to see if pirate is worth changing to. Hopefully we will see a movement to a more unique pirate play style that is actually worth going on the account.

• Like 1

Like @Iroquois Confederacy I mostly stick to myself as well.  I moved away from Mort pretty quickly and setup shop elsewhere.  My playtime is limited and random but I typically see a few other pirates on the OS everytime I'm on.  I was chased by a fellow Pirate once but I was in a T.Brig with goods and was able to dock just before he tagged, can't blame them really... =)  Other than that no hot Pirate on Pirate action that I've had to deal with.  And chat isn't that bad, probably too quiet most of the times I'm on.

Maybe it's harder?  I dunno.  /shrug

Edited by kovah

1 hour ago, kovah said:

Join us!  Bring the whole gang!  =)  Just leave the drama, plz k thx.  :P

the pirates are already the second largest nation. they should join the spanish. because well. yea.... (or us dutch, but thats some pretty big bias) 

Having never played any other nation, I can't say whether we Dutch are the tightest knit community but I would describe us as big enough to support you and have fun in the game but small enough that YOUR efforts will matter.

• Like 1

If you're up for a challenge, come play France.  I won't describe the other nations as any easier, but it's become clear that between distance and population, we have our work cut out for us and need as many mariners as we can keep busy.  And generally, we're a good group of players.