Jump to content
Game-Labs Forum

Recommended Posts

Sorry, noob question. So is there a point where the CSA player actually gets Robert E Lee as a general? I've played all the way to Stones River, and no sign of him. I assumed since you get Grant and Sherman as the Union side, that you would get Lee for the Confederacy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you win Antietam, you get Lee.  If you lose, you don't.  And, what's more, he's a max rank Lieutenant General, which gives some incentive to win the battle instead of skipping it. :) Same with Grant at Shiloh (and Sherman is a government buyable just before Shiloh, I think).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

If you win Antietam, you get Lee.  If you lose, you don't.  And, what's more, he's a max rank Lieutenant General, which gives some incentive to win the battle instead of skipping it. :) Same with Grant at Shiloh (and Sherman is a government buyable just before Shiloh, I think).

Holy crap! Seriously? I guess I never actually won Sharpsburg to find that out :P

Edited by Albert Sidney Johnston

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

While I'm already asking dumb questions, are there any free units the player gets, besides Forest's Cavalry as the CSA and the Iron Brigade as the Union?

Think you get McClellan after winning 2nd Bull Run (in preparation for his Antietam, I assume, heh) aside from those I listed.  Not sure if there's anyone else for either side, been a while since I managed to get further than that due to testing patches and restarting and such.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, The Soldier said:

Think you get McClellan after winning 2nd Bull Run (in preparation for his Antietam, I assume, heh) aside from those I listed.  Not sure if there's anyone else for either side, been a while since I managed to get further than that due to testing patches and restarting and such.

Alright. Thanks so much for your help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Albert Sidney Johnston said:

While I'm already asking dumb questions, are there any free units the player gets, besides Forest's Cavalry as the CSA and the Iron Brigade as the Union?

Those are the only complete units you get. After all, this game is about creating your own army with unique unit histories. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Wright29 said:

Those are the only complete units you get. After all, this game is about creating your own army with unique unit histories. 

Well said! I really do like having Forrest and the iron brigade as reward able units though. It makes them feel super special and I'm always proud to have them serve in my 1st Corps. A few real baddies to teach the others how it's done.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, antsha62 said:

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

I think you're misunderstanding how this game works. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Admiral666 said:

I think you're misunderstanding how this game works. 

Ya. YOU are the general. Having the historical generals is sort of just a fun feature. If you like the Civil War and war gaming, you should pick this up. It's the best tactical AI I have seen in years.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, antsha62 said:

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

These comments are a bit shocking. This is seriously a fantastic tactical game. Don't let this one little thing ruin the game for you, please.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Major Grigg said:

Do you ever get Joseph E. Johnston as the CSA?

 

I think you do at some point.  I definitely know you get A.S. Johnston after Shiloh, but I remember another special Johnston afterwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, The Soldier said:

I think you do at some point.  I definitely know you get A.S. Johnston after Shiloh, but I remember another special Johnston afterwards.

'Special Johnston' has multiple meanings there, hoss. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the game code...

rewarditem/officer_south2br_rw_corps_kemperdivision_division.... ”......7...rewarditem/officer_south7d_xxx_corps_general_longstreet.....¡”......&...rewarditem/officer_south_anderson_hero......¢”......@...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_2ndbrigade_ewell....£”......@...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_6thbrigade_early....¤”......E...rewarditem/officer_south_aotp_corps_xxxdivision_cavalrybrigade_stuart.......¥”......B...rewarditem/officer_south_aots_corps_xxxdivision_1stbrigade_jackson......¦”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_archer_hero....§”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_armistead_hero.....¨”......<...rewarditem/officer_south_artilleryreserve__general_pendleton....©”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_barksdale_hero.....ª”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_garnett_hero.......«”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hampton_hero.......¬”......&...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_anderson.......”......'...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_armistead.....®”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_beauregard....¯”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_bragg.....°”......*...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_breckinridge......±”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_dhhill....²”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_early.....³”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_ewell.....´”......"...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_hill......µ”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_jackson.......¶”......!...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_lee.......·”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_longstreet....¸”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_pickett.......¹”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_hero_stuart....º”......"...rewarditem/officer_south_hood_hero......»”......1...rewarditem/officer_south_i_corps_general_johnston.......¼”......%...rewarditem/officer_south_kershaw_hero.......½”......!...rewarditem/officer_south_law_hero.......¾”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_mahone_hero....¿”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_ransom_hero....À”......#...rewarditem/officer_south_rodes_hero.....Á”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_semmes_hero....”......(...rewarditem/officer_south_taliaferro_hero....Ô......$...rewarditem/officer_south_wilcox_hero....Ä”......$...rewarditem/officer_south_wright_hero....Å”..........rewarditem/recruits.....Æ”..........rewarditem/reputation.......Ç”..........rewarditem/weapon.......È”......&...rewarditem/weapon_carbine_1859sharps52......É”......$...rewarditem/weapon_carbine_burnside54....Ê”......-...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_ordnance_rifle_rf.......Ë”......,...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_parrott_rifle_rf....Ì”......'...rewarditem/weapon_gun_10pdr_tredegar_rf.....Í”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_12pdr_napoleon....Δ......(...rewarditem/weapon_gun_12pdr_whitworth_rf....Ï”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_14pdr_james_rf....Д......,...rewarditem/weapon_gun_20pdr_parrott_rifle_rf....Ñ”......$...rewarditem/weapon_gun_24pdr_howitzer....Ò”......)...rewarditem/weapon_musket_1842_palmetto_sb.......Ó”......#...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_lorenz54_rf.....Ô”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1855_58_rf.......Õ”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1861_58_rf.......Ö”......%...rewarditem/weapon_rifle_us_1863_58_rf.......×”..........

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16 June 2017 at 4:09 PM, antsha62 said:

How could they not provide Lee? Seriously, wait until you win at Antietam? His best work with Jackson and Longstreet and you can't use him until this point. Major point of not purchasing. Back to Civil War II. Loved Ultimate General Gettysburg, but wondering about attention to detail in this game.

Lee wasn't on the battlefield as a commander until right before Antietam to replace Johnston it's not that far off, I think the game represents his introduction pretty well. All prior workings with Longstreet and Jackson were done from behind a desk in Richmond and he wasn't even supposed to be doing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sanny said:

Lee wasn't on the battlefield as a commander until right before Antietam to replace Johnston it's not that far off, I think the game represents his introduction pretty well. All prior workings with Longstreet and Jackson were done from behind a desk in Richmond and he wasn't even supposed to be doing it.

You might want to re-think this.

Johnston was wounded in the battle of Seven Pines/Fair Oaks, day two, (June 1st 1862.)   Davis appointed Maj Gen Gustavus Smith, Johnston's second in command, to manage the Army. That lasted a whole day when Smith did a whole lot of nothing to follow up the Fair Oaks/Seven Pines battle.  On June 2nd Davis appointed Robert E Lee in command and he immediately took to living in the field.  He was a field commander from the first of his appointment. His field headquarters are all plainly indicated in all battles from the day he was given command.

Those battles started with some skirmishing on the prior fields of Fair Oaks and Oak Grove on the south bank of the Chickahominy River, before he devised his right wing flanking movement that started the Seven Days Battles involving Mechanicsville, Gaines Mill, Savage Station, Glendale, then Malvern Hill ... and on for the rest of the war.

Lee had an extremely interesting career with the Confederacy to start with, being sent to such places as South Carolina, then to command the forces in the Ohio Valley, (where he actually retreated from forces under McClellan's command,) to the eventual desk job you mention, as President Davis' assistant before being appointed to command the Confederate forces.

 

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...