Game-Labs Forum

Emergency Teleports

There has been lots of griping and confusion over removal of teleports and what the ones in the game still do, and it is clear the devs have a pretty narrow view of what constitutes an emergency for you to teleport out of. Being stuck on dry land ffs. The hardcore response would be to wait for sea levels to rise. But I'm not hardcore, and I feel there are some lesser emergencies the devs should address.

The Other Port
Anyone who sails will doubtless be familiar with the captain or navigator's anguished command, but here in Naval Action it refers to that other common confusion as you sail south across the Gulf of Mexico, watching - not for enemies (what enemies?) - but the Trader Tool to tell you when Alacranes becomes the nearest port so you can hit the Tow button and save yourself a hundred miles of sailing to Belize. It's only after you find yourself dumped back at Nouvelle-Orléans that you realise your mistake. So let's have an Other (Tele-)Port to put you where you actually wanted to go.

Fleet Control 1
You know that time when you got to your destination only to discover you forgot to put the TBrig in your fleet? Well, this teleport would fix it for you, magically moving ship and cargo to your current port.

Fleet Control 2
You know that time when you got to your destination only to discover you accidentally left that TBrig in your fleet? Well, this teleport would fix it for you, magically moving ship and cargo to your port of origin.

Delivery Mission
So you burnt all your LH and LCs - over 3000 hours - making hundreds of guns. You carefully stow them in your TBrig and TLynx, mildly disappointed you still have some hold space to spare. You remember to put the ship into fleet and manage to avoid all the obstacles (well, except for a couple of minor islands) between Placentia and Kingston/Port Royal. You unload your cargo and start listing it in the shop before thinking: surely you made some 24lb carronades. Delivery Mission is the emergency teleport for goods you left behind.

Flag Captain
Sometimes it isn't ships or even cargo you need to teleport in an emergency. Have you ever found yourself outside that foreign port only to realise there's no friendly yellow text. No three little words below the PRAY button. Well, Flag Captain will teleport just the captain to any friendly port, let you set your flag, and teleport you back again to your ship.

Perhaps there are other emergency teleports I have missed. Do post your suggestions below.

In my view, all teleports of ships in the open world must be removed. They have terrible negative impacts on the player population in the open world and are ALWAYS exploited by those looking to play Naval Action risk-free.

I understand that "ships get stuck sometimes" (though I've NEVER experienced this in nearly 500 hours of gameplay all over the map) and that's why the current "Tow to Port" mechanic exists, but if I had my way, I'd have teleport move the ship 200m directly opposite the last direction of travel and call it a day. That would be a true "unstuck" fix, and you can bet I'd put a cooldown on it, too, so that it couldn't be used to dodge tag circles.

Teleport of captains between outposts has the potential for negative effects, too, but I'm less concerned / opinionated on that subject as I don't feel it negatively effects the population of player-controlled ships in the OW.

I understand also that some people feel there's "too much sailing in their sailing game" and they get bored to tears by long voyages in the OW. I think a huge part of that is because of the large size of the map, which spreads players out, and also - significantly - because of ship teleport exploits that pull people out of the OW. I do not feel the map should be made smaller (and in fact I'm sure some people like having quiet areas where they can have an essentially PVE experience on the PVP server), but I do feel that more players in the OW will always result in a more exciting / interesting / immersive OW.

So, TLDR all teleports of ships must go. No exceptions.

48 minutes ago, Sansón Carrasco said:

So, TLDR all teleports of ships must go. No exceptions.

Teleports are necessary if someone sails off the map, gets stuck in an island or shallows, or if a new player gets lost and doesn't know all the ways of us Rear Admirals.  Every MMO has some kind of unstuck function, usually it moves you a few meters, but that's not exactly an option in this game.

Some people have found ways to teleport to save 20 minutes of sailing, but overall I think the current system works and the current ways people are exploiting it are more of a 1/10 of what it was a week ago and more convience than exploit.

Still highly usable/abusable to get a free trip into a port of your choice and circumvent any dangers on the way to it (or in some cases cut out large portions of travel time).

30 minutes ago, Digital Wind said:

Every MMO has some kind of unstuck function, usually it moves you a few meters, but that's not exactly an option in this game.

I'm honestly not sure why that isn't the case, but that'd be the only type of teleport I'd support in the game, and on a 60 second cooldown, too, to prevent its abuse.