Game-Labs Forum

Sorry if I missed it but loading up the hold to feed the men and arm the cannons seems a good idea. In sandbox one may race to a port also for protection if they know of you and you have traded? Particularly, a heavily armed port, that no one will attempt to attack.

Perhaps the players should build them too?

Your article on what one could discovery in sandbox version as an explorer, sparked off the idea of logistics and a book I have of the reason why the Royal Navy became powerful. Most of it explains the ahead of its time bureaucratic logistics were so good at Greenwich for instance that the Navy was not only building better boats each time but building the chains of supplies that kept things rolling on the sea. From an individual sailor's point of view right through to Admirals who sat behind desks and kept things ticking over.

I never knew that press gangs, were actually searching for guys who had jumped ship 90% of the time, runaways, deserters or drunks who did not get back to the ship. But then there was a lot of pain and sweat to run away from.

Book =

THE WOODEN WORLD

An anatomy of the Georgian Navy

by N.A.M. Rodger

1st published by Collins in 1986

& The US Naval Institute Press in 1986 

The Folio Society, republished with corrections and upgraded images in 2009

The plates & illustrations are excellent.

www.foliosociety.com