Game-Labs Forum

Flags, Ensigns, Banners

Not sure if this has been mentioned before, but I think the pirate flags should be able to be modified a bit. Historically, pirates would create their own variations on the black flag, and that would add a great level of personalization to this game. Which is another thing this game needs a bit of, aside from paints. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Here is some banners and heraldry used by the Swedish Navy historically (including Source). 

Source (Swedish): http://waslingmedia.se/nationalism/sveriges-flagga-genom-historien-del-2/

Sverige_1544-1024x635.jpg

Background information : Upon the new reformation and formation of the Swedish fleet, King Gustav Vasa and the government proposed this flag to be used, between 1545 - 1600.

Sverige_1525-1585_e-300x175.jpg

Background information: One of the potential flags used by the Swedish Navy used between 1525 - 1580. in 1525 the Swedish Navy implemented the first waved ''banner'' with a cross however Swedish sources do not specify any information which one was the correct version used between 1525 - 1580. (several versions of this banner was used by the Swedish Navy between the period of 1525 - 80 which one is the correct one is up for discussion, examples below).

Sverige_1525-1585_f-150x150.jpg

Sverige_1525-1585_h-150x150.jpg

Sverige_1525-1580_d-150x150.jpg

Sverige_1580-1620_a-300x186.jpg

Background information : This wave pattern one was most common and used one in the Swedish Navy between 1580 - 1620. This banner was split with 7 wave pattern, similar to the ones above however without the cross.  

Sverige_1580-1620_b-150x150.jpg

(This one, similar to the one just about is also a potential version of the banner used between the same period however the sources are shaky on that, I.E its a potential version of the one above..)

Sverige_1658-300x162.jpg

Background information : In the middle of 1620 the 3 crowns replaced the wave patterned banner, also known as the Swedish naval warfare flag.

Sverige_1764_kunglig-300x162.jpg

Background information : This one (just like above) was made 1764 and was only allowed to be carried/flown by the king and his presence on board a ship.

Might add more historically used banner and heraldry over the time. 

Edited by DeaconLN
Grammar
  • Like 1

Dear @admin and devs,
I didn't know anywhere else this should be posted, but here seemed fine. I know the devs have had a difficult time making the flags a proper model with structure and preventing them from flapping through themselves and the ships. So, I've found a modder from another steam game who does some great work. If you watch the vid you will see the flag in action and how it wraps around solid objects (bumper) rather than flapping through them like the NA flags do.

Video Link of ATS from Trayscapes of flag mod by Harven.

Perhaps you could contact Harven for help with the flag model? Cheers.

Edited by van der Decken
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Now the introduction of clan(clanwars) becomes more important

will the clans have their own flag in battle

does development have a plan about it and /or when can this be implemented

or is this abandened?

wondering what is the exact road for this..

On 20-8-2017 at 11:43 AM, Thonys said:

Now the introduction of clan(clanwars) becomes more important

will the clans have their own flag in battle

does development have a plan about it and /or when can this be implemented

or is this abandened?

wondering what is the exact road for this..

think we are going to regret this thonys, imagine swastica's, specific male & female body parts etc etc are going to show up. 

How many time i have reported people for "beeing creative" with their emblem on battlefield to sneak in a swastica for their strong feelings for neo nazism is a lot. 

"Buddah sign my ass, mister smarty pans" 

i only want historical flags only. 

On 21-8-2017 at 5:25 PM, Jacob van Heemskerck said:

think we are going to regret this thonys, imagine swastica's, specific male & female body parts etc etc are going to show up. 

How many time i have reported people for "beeing creative" with their emblem on battlefield to sneak in a swastica for their strong feelings for neo nazism is a lot. 

"Buddah sign my ass, mister smarty pans" 

i only want historical flags only. 

me to

only provided by own game flags 

and no self made ones

the arsenal of flags is plenty,... so every clan can choose one for his purpose 

1822CSI1822.jpgfound on yachts

prinsenvlagmaritiemdigitaal.jpg

wic.gifHet teken van de West indische Compagnie (Geoctroyeerde West-Indische Compagnie

http://www.loeser.us/flags/dutch_note_1.html

http://fotw.fivestarflags.com/nl-indco.html#ro

special  look as to bee done on the upper link  s ^^

Edited by Thonys

• 2 months later...

11467_wm.jpg

1. Kingdom of Great Britain, 2. Kingdom of France under L. Philippe, 3. Empire of Russia, 4. Empire of Austria, 5. Kingdom of Spain, 6. Kingdom of Portugal, 7. Kingdom of Holland, 8. Kingdom of Sweden and Norway, 9. Kingdom of Prussia ,10. Kingdom of Denmark, 11. Kingdom of Naples, 12. Kingdom of Hanover, 13. British Red Flag, 14. British White Flag, 15. British Blue Flag, 16. British Admiralty's Flag, 17. British Admiral's Flag, 18. East India Company's Flag, 19. Republic of the Ionian Islands, 20. Maltese Flag, 21. French Commercial Flag, 22. Franco-Algerine Flag,  23. Russian Naval Flag, 24. Russo-American Flag, 25. Russian Commercial Flag, 26. Austrian Naval and Commercial Flag, 27. Austro-Venetian Flag, 28. Spanish Naval Flag, 29. Spanish Commercial Flag, 30. Spanish-Philippine Commercial Flag, 31. Portuguese Naval and Commercial Flag, 32. Dutch Commercial Flag, 33. Dutch Batavian Flag, 34. Norwegian National Flag, 35. Swedish Naval Flag, 36. Swedish Commercial Flag, 37. Prussian Naval Flag, 38. Prussian Commercial Flag, 39. Danish Naval Flag, 40. Danish Commercial Flag, 41. Schleswig-Holstein Flag, 42. Hamburg Admiralty Flag, 43. Hamburg Commercial Flag, 44. Old Lubec Naval Flag, 45. Lubec Commercial Flag, 46. Bremen Commercial Flag, 47. Hanoverian Commercial Flag, 48. Oldenburg Commercial Flag, 49. Mecklenburg Commercial Flag, 50. Belgian Naval and Commercial Flag,  51. Flag of the Saxon River Cities, 52. Flag of the Bavarian River Cities, 53. Flag of the Wirtemberg River Cities, 54. Flag of the Baden River Cities, 55. Swiss Flag, 56. Flag of Frankfort on the Main 57. Hungarian Flag,  58. Servian Flag, 59. Moldaviar Flag, 60. Wallachian Flag, 61. Neapolitan Naval and Commercial Flag, 62. Papal Flag, 63. Tuscan Naval and Commercial Flag, 64. Leghorn Flag, 65. Flag of Lucca, 66. Flag of Massa-Carrara, 67. Flag of Modena , 68. Flag of Monaco, 69. Royal Sardinian Flag, 70. Sardinian Naval and Commercial Flag, 71. Old Genoese Flag, 72. Old Savoy Flag, 73. Flag of the Island of Sardinia, 74. Greek Naval Flag, 75. Greek Commercial Flag, 76. Greek Pirate's Flag, 77. Turkish Imperial Flag, 78. Turkish Naval Flag, 79. Turkish Commercial Flag, 80. Flag of the Grand Vizier, 81. Flag of Capudan Pasha, 82. Commercial Flag of Tunis, Tripoli, Morocco, 83. Flag of Tunis, 84. Flag of Morocco, 85. Flag of the Viceroy of Egypt, 86. Egyptian Commercial Flag, 87. Flag of Tripoli, 88. Old Algerine Flag, 89. Algerine Pirate's Flag,  90. Arabian Flag, 91. Abyssinian Flag, 92. The Flag of the Shah of Persia, 93. Persian Commercial Flag, 94. Flag of Afghanistan, 95. Flag of Beloochistan, 96. Flag of the Great Mogul, 97. Flag of Bengal ,98. Flag of Scind, 99. Flag of the Birmans, 100. Flag of Pegu, 101. Flag of Siam, 102. Flag of Sumatra, 103. Chinese Imperial Flag, 104-105. Chinese Commercial Flags, 106. Flag of Cochin-China, 107. Japanese Imperial Flag, 108. Commercial Flag of Japan, 109. Flag of the United States, N. A., 110. Flag of Texas, 111. Flag of Mexico, 112. Flag of Guatemala, 113. Flag of Hayti, 114. Flag of Columbia, 115. Flag of Venezuela, 116. Flag of Bolivia, 117. Flag of Peru, 118. Flag of Chili, 119. Flag of Brazil, 120. Flag of La Plata, 121. Flag of Equador, 122. Flag of Otabeite, 123. Flag of the Sandwich Islands, 124. Flag of New Zealand.

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree that more content is always useful, even if it's just for cosmetics. The flags would work well but to be honest, I wouldn't look at them much in a battle if the rank etc is obtainable though a simple TAB press.

What I would like to see is animated flags to be seen in OW, even if it's just the country flag on the stern post. ATM if you click a ship you get this info so why not a flag on that bare stern post?

1 hour ago, SirAlatriste said:

When? Where?

I read it somewhere here on forum that NA engine could not handle flags and that is why they were removed from Towns and yes towns used to have flags shoving it's nations. This includes flags on OS. From what I can tell many needed features could not make it in due to weak game engine. Maybe someone can confirm it or find the post it would help (somewhere inside topics about flags or FPS).  

Edited by H2O
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, H2O said:

I read it somewhere here on forum that NA engine could not handle flags and that is why they were removed from Towns and yes towns used to have flags shoving it's nations. This includes flags on OS. From what I can tell many needed features could not make it in due to weak game engine. Maybe someone can confirm it or find the post it would help (somewhere inside topics about flags or FPS).  

Let's give the game time, is alpha now... But much better with more flags, not 50 flags, just with 10 more per nation or maybe 10 more per person. I would be more realistic.

Pennant (church)

A church pennant is a pennant flown to indicate that a religious service is in progress. It is flown on ships and establishments (bases).

Marine Nationale

The French Navy maintained a church pennant but it fell into disuse in 1905.

Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy

Church Pennant

The Church Pennant as used by the Royal Navy, other navies of the Commonwealth, and the Royal Netherlands Navy.

History

The broad pennant combination of the English Flagat the hoist and the Dutch National Flag in the fly originates from the Anglo-Dutch wars of the late 17th century, when it was used on Sundays to indicate that a service was in progress and a ceasefire existed between the warring nations.

United States Navy

U.S. Navy church pennant, a blue cross on a white triangular pennant
U.S. Navy Jewish worship pennant, the tablets of Moses surmounted by the Magen David in blue on a white triangular pennant
U.S. Navy church pennant (top), and Jewish worship pennant (bottom).

The United States Navy maintains several church pennants, of which the appropriate one is flown immediately above the ensign wherever the ensign is displayed, at the gaff when under way, or at the flagstaff when not under way, when religious services are held aboard ship by a Navy chaplain. Originally, the only authorized church pennant was for Christian chaplains, regardless of specific denomination. Later in 1975, the Secretary of Navy approved a similar Jewish worship pennant.

United States military chaplain symbols

source wiki

Courtesy flag[

A courtesy flag (or courtesy ensign) is flown by a visiting ship in foreign waters as a token of respect. It is often a small (that is, smaller than the ship's own national ensign) national maritime flag of the host country, although there are countries (such as Malta) where the national, rather than the maritime flag is correct. The flag is customarily worn at the foremasthead of multi-masted vessels, the dockside yardarm or crosstree of the mast of single-masted vessels, while the house flag would be outboard. It may be flown from the jackstaffof vessels without masts.

HermioneInNewYork20150701-aft.jpg

• Like 3

Jack (flag)

A jack is a national (originally naval) flag flown from a short jackstaff at the bow of a vessel, while the ensign is flown on the stern. Jacks on bowsprits or foremasts appeared in the 17th century. The word "jack" is said to result from the signature Jacques of King James I in whose reign (1603–1625) the Union Jack was designed.A country may have different jacks for different purposes, especially when (as in the United Kingdom and the Netherlands) the naval jack is forbidden to other vessels. The United Kingdom has an official civil jack; the Netherlands has several unofficial ones. In some countries, ships of other government institutions may fly the naval jack, e.g. the ships of the U.S. Coast Guard and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration in the case of the jack of the United States. Certain organs of the British government have their own departmental jacks. Commercial or pleasure craft may fly the flag of an administrative division (state, province, land) or municipality at the bow. Merchant ships may fly a house flag. Yachts may fly a club burgee or officer's flag or the owner's private signal at the bow. Practice may be regulated by law, custom, or personal judgment.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, H2O said:

He was specifically referring to animated flags on ships in OW, iirc.